Last visit was: 18 May 2024, 22:58 It is currently 18 May 2024, 22:58
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:

Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65352 [1]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR [#permalink]
Is it true, that in the GMAT concept, the word "some" means "at least one to ALL" ?
Also, the same question but for "most". Does most, which obviously mean more than 50%, also mean more than 50% to ALL?
I am taking a course with some company, and they consider "some" as to any number between at least 1 to ALL.
It sounds weird that "some" can refer to all.

Thank you!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR [#permalink]
DanielEMZ wrote:
Is it true, that in the GMAT concept, the word "some" means "at least one to ALL" ?
Also, the same question but for "most". Does most, which obviously mean more than 50%, also mean more than 50% to ALL?
I am taking a course with some company, and they consider "some" as to any number between at least 1 to ALL.

Thank you!

Some : 1 to 99
None: 0
All: 100
not all: 0 to 99
most: >50%
less<50%

in negate of none: you can assume Some
in negate of some: you can assume none
In negate of all: you can assume not all
in negate of most: less than half
in negate of less: more than 50%( 51% to 100%)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
itsSKR wrote:
DanielEMZ wrote:

Thank you!

Some : 1 to 99
None: 0
All: 100
not all: 0 to 99
most: >50%
less<50%

in negate of none: you can assume Some
in negate of some: you can assume none
In negate of all: you can assume not all
in negate of most: less than half
in negate of less: more than 50%( 51% to 100%)

I am afraid I didn't understand what you meant.

Could you just simply answer my question, please?

Thanks!! :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65352 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
DanielEMZ wrote:

Thank you!

DanielEMZ

Yes, "some" does mean "at least one" in logic. Though we use it in spoken English to mean "a few", in logic it does translate to "at least one". It could very well be "all". We just don't know.

When I say:
"Some of my friends will come."
It means that at least 1 will definitely come and more could come and even, all could come - I just don't know. I do know about at least 1 that he is coming.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
DanielEMZ wrote:

Thank you!

DanielEMZ

Yes, "some" does mean "at least one" in logic. Though we use it in spoken English to mean "a few", in logic it does translate to "at least one". It could very well be "all". We just don't know.

When I say:
It means that at least 1 will definitely come and more could come and even, all could come - I just don't know. I do know about at least 1 that he is coming.

Thank you ma'am!

I have sent you a PM but I guess posting here will be better since it can help other students as well.

So,

regarding those indicators,

For example, the phrase "either...or", while in real life means x or y, is considered "at least 1, possibly both" in the GMAT world.
Also, the word "most" means "more than 50% to ALL".

It appears that all of these indicators are used differently on the GMAT than how they are used in the real world.

How am I supposed to know what words are used differently on the GMAT, and what are those words?

I am a bit confused.

Thank you!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65352 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DanielEMZ wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
DanielEMZ wrote:

Thank you!

DanielEMZ

When I say:

Thank you ma'am!

I have sent you a PM but I guess posting here will be better since it can help other students as well.

So,

For example, the phrase "either...or", while in real life means x or y, is considered "at least 1, possibly both" in the GMAT world.

It appears that all of these indicators are used differently on the GMAT than how they are used in the real world.

How am I supposed to know what words are used differently on the GMAT, and what are those words?

I am a bit confused.

Thank you!

Yes DanielEMZ,

Posting here is the best since it could help others too and also, I keep an eye on this thread and my PS thread.

As for the difference between 'GMAT world' and 'real world' - there isn't a whole lot. The terms you mentioned are used this way in the study of logic. Logic says that each term means exactly what it means and there is no other implication it has. The rest is a case of unknowns. GMAT is a test of logic and hence you need to know how these terms are used.

So out of 100 people, I survey 60 and find that they all like vanilla ice cream more than chocolate ice cream. I can say that out of these 100 people like vanilla more. Perhaps if I survey the other 40, I may find that they like vanilla more too. That doesn't make my previous statement false. Hence, most means more than 50% and COULD be all too.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
DanielEMZ wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
DanielEMZ wrote:

Thank you!

DanielEMZ

When I say:

Thank you ma'am!

So,

I am a bit confused.

Thank you!

Yes DanielEMZ,

Posting here is the best since it could help others too and also, I keep an eye on this thread and my PS thread.

As for the difference between 'GMAT world' and 'real world' - there isn't a whole lot. The terms you mentioned are used this way in the study of logic. Logic says that each term means exactly what it means and there is no other implication it has. The rest is a case of unknowns. GMAT is a test of logic and hence you need to know how these terms are used.

So out of 100 people, I survey 60 and find that they all like vanilla ice cream more than chocolate ice cream. I can say that out of these 100 people like vanilla more. Perhaps if I survey the other 40, I may find that they like vanilla more too. That doesn't make my previous statement false. Hence, most means more than 50% and COULD be all too.

Hmmm.. I see. We are basically manipulating or, more accurately, aren't taking responsibility for what may be true and we don't know if it is indeed.
Kind of CYA.

What about "either ... or" ? Could you provide an example that shows the meaning of this phrase (in the context of "at least 1, possibly both"), please?

You are very helpful.

Kudos!
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DanielEMZ wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
DanielEMZ wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
DanielEMZ wrote:

Thank you!

DanielEMZ

When I say:

Thank you ma'am!

So,

I am a bit confused.

Thank you!

Yes DanielEMZ,

Hmmm.. I see. We are basically manipulating or, more accurately, aren't taking responsibility for what may be true and we don't know if it is indeed.
Kind of CYA.

What about "either ... or" ? Could you provide an example that shows the meaning of this phrase (in the context of "at least 1, possibly both"), please?

You are very helpful.

Kudos!

Either ... or... means at least one will be true but both can be true too (when both can co-exist)

I am either exhausted or sick.
- Means I am at least one of the two since I am not feeling well. It is possible that I am both exhausted and sick.

What colour ink does the pen have? Either blue or black.
You know that it will have only one type of ink and it will be one of the two - blue or black. Nothing wrong here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Hi Ma'am,
I have a doubt similar in nature. I have read that "little" means zero E.g. he offered me little help....meaning he did not offer me any help. Similarly "a little" means some value. Does the same concept apply to GMAT as well?
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
darkknight016 wrote:
Hi Ma'am,
I have a doubt similar in nature. I have read that "little" means zero E.g. he offered me little help....meaning he did not offer me any help. Similarly "a little" means some value. Does the same concept apply to GMAT as well?

Yes, "little" means "almost none". It could be "none" too.
'He offered me little help' is just a polite way of saying 'he offered me no help' or 'almost no help'.
'a little' means 'some'.

Similarly, few means 'almost none' and 'a few' means 'some'.

Check out our post discussing this in detail here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2017/0 ... uite-gmat/
VP
VP
Send PM
Quote:
Many economists hold that keeping taxes low helps to spur economic growth, and that low taxes thus lead to greater national prosperity. But Country X, which has unusually high taxes, has greater per-capita income than the neighboring Country Y, which has much lower taxes. Some politicians have concluded from this that high taxes do not hinder national prosperity.

The politicians' reasoning is most vulnerable to criticism on which of the following grounds?

A) It overlooks the possibility that even if Country X reduced its taxes, it would not experience greater national prosperity in the long term.

B) It confuses a claim that a factor does not hinder a given development with the claim that the same factor promotes that development.

C) It fails to adequately address the possibility that Country X and Country Y differ in relevant respects other than taxation.

D) It fails to take into account that the per-capita income of a country does not determine its rate of economic growth.

E) It assumes that the economists' thesis must be correct despite a clear counterexample to that thesis.

C : In some cases, we find that because X and Y may not have same relevant conditions so we can not determine the same outcome. ( as in above question) - not relevant as both subjects could have differences.

However in some case, it is mentioned that even X and Y may not have same relevant conditions but it gives a reasoning to think that it may happen. ( as in below question)- a general consideration

Quote:
An unusually severe winter occurred in Europe after the continent was blanketed by a blue haze resulting from the eruption of the Laki Volcano in the European republic of Iceland in the summer of 1984. Thus, it is evident that major eruptions cause the atmosphere to become cooler than it would be otherwise.

Which of the following statements, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

(A) The cooling effect triggered by volcanic eruptions in 1985 was counteracted by an unusual warming of Pacific waters.

(B) There is a strong statistical link between volcanic eruptions and the severity of the rainy seasons in India

(C) A few months after El Chichón's large eruption in April 1982, air temperatures throughout the region remained higher than expected, given the long-term weather trends.

(D) The climatic effects of major volcanic eruptions can temporarily mask the general warming trend resulting from an excess of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

(E) Three months after an early springtime eruption in South America during the late 19th century, sea surface temperatures near the coast began to fall.

C : this is an example where the generalized conclusion is countered.

As in questions it is always asked MOST weaken or MOST strengthen , Is there any way that we can differentiate when to consider that X and Y may bring the same output and in what cases it should not be considered as general consideration.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
darkknight016 wrote:
Hi Ma'am,

Yes, "little" means "almost none". It could be "none" too.
'He offered me little help' is just a polite way of saying 'he offered me no help' or 'almost no help'.
'a little' means 'some'.

Similarly, few means 'almost none' and 'a few' means 'some'.

Check out our post discussing this in detail here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2017/0 ... uite-gmat/

Thank you so much for the clarification. It Helped a lot !
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65352 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
itsSKR wrote:
Quote:
Many economists hold that keeping taxes low helps to spur economic growth, and that low taxes thus lead to greater national prosperity. But Country X, which has unusually high taxes, has greater per-capita income than the neighboring Country Y, which has much lower taxes. Some politicians have concluded from this that high taxes do not hinder national prosperity.

The politicians' reasoning is most vulnerable to criticism on which of the following grounds?

A) It overlooks the possibility that even if Country X reduced its taxes, it would not experience greater national prosperity in the long term.

B) It confuses a claim that a factor does not hinder a given development with the claim that the same factor promotes that development.

C) It fails to adequately address the possibility that Country X and Country Y differ in relevant respects other than taxation.

D) It fails to take into account that the per-capita income of a country does not determine its rate of economic growth.

E) It assumes that the economists' thesis must be correct despite a clear counterexample to that thesis.

C : In some cases, we find that because X and Y may not have same relevant conditions so we can not determine the same outcome. ( as in above question) - not relevant as both subjects could have differences.

However in some case, it is mentioned that even X and Y may not have same relevant conditions but it gives a reasoning to think that it may happen. ( as in below question)- a general consideration

Quote:
An unusually severe winter occurred in Europe after the continent was blanketed by a blue haze resulting from the eruption of the Laki Volcano in the European republic of Iceland in the summer of 1984. Thus, it is evident that major eruptions cause the atmosphere to become cooler than it would be otherwise.

Which of the following statements, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

(A) The cooling effect triggered by volcanic eruptions in 1985 was counteracted by an unusual warming of Pacific waters.

(B) There is a strong statistical link between volcanic eruptions and the severity of the rainy seasons in India

(C) A few months after El Chichón's large eruption in April 1982, air temperatures throughout the region remained higher than expected, given the long-term weather trends.

(D) The climatic effects of major volcanic eruptions can temporarily mask the general warming trend resulting from an excess of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

(E) Three months after an early springtime eruption in South America during the late 19th century, sea surface temperatures near the coast began to fall.

As in questions it is always asked MOST weaken or MOST strengthen , Is there any way that we can differentiate when to consider that X and Y may bring the same output and in what cases it should not be considered as general consideration.

Hey itsSKR,
I have replied on the original post of the question (on which you tagged me). I have been running behind and it takes me a few days to get to all mentions but I will try to get to all.
VP
VP
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
itsSKR wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Hey itsSKR,
I have replied on the original post of the question (on which you tagged me). I have been running behind and it takes me a few days to get to all mentions but I will try to get to all.

Thanks a lot ma'm for the kind consideration.
VP
VP
Send PM
Manufacturing plants in Arundia have recently been acquired in substantial numbers by investors from abroad. Arundian politicians are proposing legislative action to stop such investment, justifying the proposal by arguing that foreign investors, opportunistically exploiting a recent fall in the value of the Arundian currency, were able to buy Arundian assets at less than their true value.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the adequacy of the Arundian politicians' justification for the proposed legislation?

Why A is not answer. I still don't understand why in E i should worry about how investors can earn profit. Please check my explanation below.

(A) The Arundian government originally welcomed the fall in the value of the Arundian currency because the fall made Arundian exports more competitive on international markets
So investors could buy in Arundian because price was competitive else investors wouldn’t have bought these plants at first place. So true value doesn’t matter but what matters is international market price if foreigners want to invest in some country.

(E) The true value of an investment is determined by the value of the profits from it, and the low value of the Arundian currency has depressed the value of any profits earned by foreign investors from Arundian assets.
>>We focus on investment and how much money Arundian could get . How investors earn profit is thereafter is none of our business. The current value of profits could be depressed but it doesn’t mean the company couldn’t change policies , align with investors vision , expand business in local market or start new business streams for high ROI.

VeritasKarishma ; please help me to understand this. i am kind of lost based on my above explanations. Whats wrong ?
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
Manufacturing plants in Arundia have recently been acquired in substantial numbers by investors from abroad. Arundian politicians are proposing legislative action to stop such investment, justifying the proposal by arguing that foreign investors, opportunistically exploiting a recent fall in the value of the Arundian currency, were able to buy Arundian assets at less than their true value.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the adequacy of the Arundian politicians' justification for the proposed legislation?

Why A is not answer. I still don't understand why in E i should worry about how investors can earn profit. Please check my explanation below.

(A) The Arundian government originally welcomed the fall in the value of the Arundian currency because the fall made Arundian exports more competitive on international markets
So investors could buy in Arundian because price was competitive else investors wouldn’t have bought these plants at first place. So true value doesn’t matter but what matters is international market price if foreigners want to invest in some country.

(E) The true value of an investment is determined by the value of the profits from it, and the low value of the Arundian currency has depressed the value of any profits earned by foreign investors from Arundian assets.
>>We focus on investment and how much money Arundian could get . How investors earn profit is thereafter is none of our business. The current value of profits could be depressed but it doesn’t mean the company couldn’t change policies , align with investors vision , expand business in local market or start new business streams for high ROI.

VeritasKarishma ; please help me to understand this. i am kind of lost based on my above explanations. Whats wrong ?

Hey @itsSKR
Done here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/manufacturin ... l#p2567086
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1461 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
VeritasKarishma
Could you please show the differences between inference and assumption, giving sentence examples?

Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  24   25   26   27   28  ...  34   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts