GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 21:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Police captain: The chief of police has indicated

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
Police captain: The chief of police has indicated  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 08:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (01:51) correct 36% (02:05) wrong based on 163 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Police captain: The chief of police has indicated that gifts of cash or objects valued at more than $100 count as graft. However, I know with certainty that no officer in my precinct has ever taken such gifts, so the recent accusations of graft in my precinct are unfounded
The reasoning in the police captain's argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that the argument

(A) bases a rebuttal of accusations of graft on knowledge about only a limited sample of officers
(B) fails to consider that there may be other instances of graft besides those indicated by the chief of police
(C) bases a claim about the actions of individuals on an appeal to the character of those individuals
(D) takes for granted that if the accusations of graft are unfounded, so is any accusation of corruption
(E) relies on a premise that contradicts the conclusion drawn in the argument
Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Re: Police captain: The chief of police has indicated  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 10:01
aurobindomahanty wrote:
Police captain: The chief of police has indicated that gifts of cash or objects valued at more than $100 count as graft. However, I know with certainty that no officer in my precinct has ever taken such gifts, so the recent accusations of graft in my precinct are unfounded
The reasoning in the police captain's argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that the argument

(A) bases a rebuttal of accusations of graft on knowledge about only a limited sample of officers
(B) fails to consider that there may be other instances of graft besides those indicated by the chief of police
(C) bases a claim about the actions of individuals on an appeal to the character of those individuals
(D) takes for granted that if the accusations of graft are unfounded, so is any accusation of corruption

BY POE it is B ..
A-- no where it is mentioned, study is based on limited sample of officers
B-hold
C-no where the character of any officer is pointed ..
D-"corruption "--no comparison as such.
E-..premise is not contradicting the conclusion .conclusion is based on premise.
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 11:55
C is a trap; there is a common pattern that "appeal to authority/ expert".
In this question, B shows that pattern.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 14:25
In B how do we assume that accusations were from the Chief of Police?
In the premise, Police Captain claims that with certainty that no officers involved in graft (through gifts that is) -- this should include all cases those accused and otherwise. Can we take this claim as a fact?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 17:07
sevenplusplus wrote:
In B how do we assume that accusations were from the Chief of Police?
In the premise, Police Captain claims that with certainty that no officers involved in graft (through gifts that is) -- this should include all cases those accused and otherwise. Can we take this claim as a fact?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

This error is very common. When you hear some one says:
The scientists say that.....
I have a book that says......
I read a newspaper that says......
I saw on TV.........
From my own experience, I think.......

Here is one gmat question showing the similar pattern, https://gmatclub.com/forum/brunhilda-ec ... 54629.html
Director
Director
P
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 15:26

(A) bases a rebuttal of accusations of graft on knowledge about only a limited sample of officers the officer would kow how many officers work under him and the rebuttal must be based on the exact numbers and not just on some sample.
(B) fails to consider that there may be other instances of graft besides those indicated by the chief of police Correct answer
(C) bases a claim about the actions of individuals on an appeal to the character of those individuals the character of individuals is out of scope.
(D) takes for granted that if the accusations of graft are unfounded, so is any accusation of corruption Corruption comparison is out of scope.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 10:48
I always struggle in question like this .
Please suggest how to tackle question like this .
I have seen many more questions of such kind on the forum .
Thanks in advance .
Re: Police captain: The chief of police has indicated   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2017, 10:48

Police captain: The chief of police has indicated

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap