Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V37
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: How to know when you are ready? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi soumyadeeppaul1,

Since your score goal is 700, I think you'll know you are ready once you hit 700 or higher on consecutive official practice exams. However, if you feel as though you are not progressing and need some advice regarding how to improve your GMAT quant and verbal skills, feel free to reach out. Lastly, you may find it helpful to read the following article:

How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi soumyadeeppaul1,

Approximately 2 weeks ago, you posted (here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/are-online-p ... 33391.html) that you had not taken any practice CATs yet. In this recent post-thread, you referred to your 'last official mock' - so how many CATs/mocks have you taken over the last 2 weeks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

If this is the only CAT that you've taken, then a 650 is a great initial performance - especially since there are a number of aspects to performing at a high level on a FULL-LENGTH CAT that you probably have not learned yet. Depending on the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores - and the overall work that you have done so far - you could potentially hit 700 in a month. That having been said, if you have just this one CAT result, then that's not a lot of data to work with - and you may need closer to 2 months of consistent, guided study time before you can consistently hit your Score Goal.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Soumyadeep, if your target is 700 and you are getting 650, it definitely means that you're not ready yet.

However, giving more mock tests or doing more practice, is not how will get ready.

A thorough analysis of your performance across few mock tests will hopefully let you recognize a pattern, so that you can dedicatedly work on strengthening your weaker areas, both by building concepts in those areas and by focused practice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V37
Send PM
How to know when you are ready? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi soumyadeeppaul1,

Approximately 2 weeks ago, you posted (here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/are-online-p ... 33391.html) that you had not taken any practice CATs yet. In this recent post-thread, you referred to your 'last official mock' - so how many CATs/mocks have you taken over the last 2 weeks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

If this is the only CAT that you've taken, then a 650 is a great initial performance - especially since there are a number of aspects to performing at a high level on a FULL-LENGTH CAT that you probably have not learned yet. Depending on the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores - and the overall work that you have done so far - you could potentially hit 700 in a month. That having been said, if you have just this one CAT result, then that's not a lot of data to work with - and you may need closer to 2 months of consistent, guided study time before you can consistently hit your Score Goal.

Rich

Hello Rich, I have actually taken 2 CATs, at a gap of 5 days in between. The first one was 520, the second was 650. As you guessed on the other thread, I am actually decent at Quant (Q46), but I'm having trouble with RCs in verbal (V33). Any tips on how to get better? I have not started with any serious reading materials like the Economist or WSJ, but I am a voracious reader of fiction since childhood.

I would really like your inputs on how to consistently hit 700 within a month. This shortened timeline would really help me to apply for schools by this year's Round 2 deadlines. I really don't want to go for Round 3, since the intake is very low at that point. Please correct me if I am wrong.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi soumyadeeppaul1,

That additional CAT Score makes your situation a bit more complicated. The idea that you actually improved 130 points in just 5 days is dubious, so maybe you were just 'unlucky' when you took that 1st CAT (maybe you made a bunch of little mistakes) OR maybe you got a bit lucky on the 2nd CAT (for example, if every time you 'narrowed a Verbal question down to 2 choices", you chose the correct one; maybe you had seen some of the questions before) OR it might be a combination of the two - and your actual 'ability level' is in the mid-500s to high-500s.

To try to clarify this issue a bit, I suggest that you study however you choose for the rest of this week, then take a NEW CAT this weekend. Make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, if you're taking your GMAT at a Test Center, then wear a face mask while you take your CAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss the results and how you might adjust your studies going forward.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot