Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Having fun Growing Mental Agility & Toughness (GMAT) ^_^
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Given Kudos: 315
Mantra: "There is a will, there is a way."
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 195
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Re: Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ilhomjon98 wrote:
Hi, GMATGuruNY

While looking through your elucidations, I encountered your post in another form: you said that

a VERBless clause invariably serves to modify a main clause that is in the PRESENT TENSE. Since the Magoosh sentence is not in the present tense, it is not viable.
The Magoosh sentence: Although opposing slavery on philosophical grounds, jefferson owned plantations with several hundred slaves.

I also wrote that While[I was] looking through your elucidations, I encountered your post in another form.
Does this rule also apply for While?
I always write a subordinate conjunction + present participle with a main clause that is in another tense, not present.
Now, I have a doubt about writing so!

Could you please explain why the main clause must be in the present tense?
Is it just a rule that we have to remember or is there some logic behind it?

Thank you very much beforehand!

Because an introductory verbless clause lacks a verb, the implied tense must be clear from context.
While looking through your elucidations...
Here, it seems clear from context that the intent is to recount a PAST EVENT.
For this reason, no reader will assume that the present tense is implied.
The following sentence makes no sense:
While [I am] looking through your elucidations, I encounter your post in another forum.
Since the intent is to discuss a past event, it is crystal clear from context that a past tense verb is implied in the introductory clause, as follows:
While [someone WAS] looking through your elucidations...
Because the past tense is clearly implied, the sentence provided in your post is fine:
While looking through your elucidations, I encountered your post in another forum.

That said, verbless clauses on the GMAT seem to be constrained to the present tense, as discussed in my post here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/?href=-og13-re ... 64-15.html
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic [#permalink]
Why everyone is talking about meaning change in B when B is not even worth reading due to grammatical error in the end with non-underline part.

B are visible as dark spots that never have been sighted on the surface of the Sun the Sun’s poles or equator.

Why can't we just reject B on this basis unless there is typo in B sentence.

please confirm Bunuel generis
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
Why can't we just reject B on this basis unless there is typo in B sentence.

Hi mSKR,

Option B can absolutely be taken out for the reason you mentioned.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Can someone please explain why option D is incorrect?
VP
VP
Send PM
vatsal323 wrote:
Can someone please explain why option D is incorrect?

Hi

I don't think anyone would like to repeat what is already in above many posts.
Key point for D: ‘although never having been sighted at’ is not a sub-clause; although is conjunction, we need a sub-clause. Without going into meaning itself, D can be rejected on basis of grammar.

Please check above posts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear pramitmishra0607,

I'm happy to respond. :-) First of all, let me commend you, my friend, for asking an excellent question! It's clear that you put tremendous thought and effort into the question you are asking, and that's wonderful. Asking excellent questions is one of the habits of excellence!

The answer to this is subtle. The word "although" is a subordinate conjunction, and as such, it introduces a full clause, a dependent clause. It must be followed by a full clause. The catch, though, is that small words, e.g. [pronoun] + ["to be" verb], in the clause can be dropped if they are implied, so what is printed on the page will not look like a full clause, but it really is a full clause.

For example, from SC13 above:
Though it is called a sea, the landlocked Caspian is actually . . .
The words "it is" are implied, and with those, what follows "though" is a full clause.

From SC36 above:
. . . it is indicative that the economy, although it is growing slowly, is not nearing a recession.
Again, the word "it is" are implied, making what follows "although" a full clause.

In SC17 above, there's no way to put in a pronoun plus an auxiliary verb to turn what's following the "although" in (C) & (D) into full clauses.
(C) appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots although they never are sighted at the Sun's poles or equator.
That doesn't work. The word "sighted," by its very nature, is a participle that is not part of an ordinary full verb. (D) is even worse: I have no clue what anyone would put in front of "having been sighted"---we can't really change perfect participles into full verbs.

That's the difference between, on the one hand, SC13 & SC36, and on the other hand, SC17. In the former two, we can insert an implied [pronoun] + [auxiliary verb] to turn what's there into a full verb. In the latter, we do not have that option, so the construction is wrong.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hi mikemcgarry

I am still not understand about this

Quote:
(C) appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots although they never are sighted at the Sun's poles or equator.
That doesn't work. The word "sighted," by its very nature, is a participle that is not part of an ordinary full verb.

This is the original (C) ....although never sighted at

We can add 'they are' as pronoun + auxiliary verb then (C) ....although they are never sighted at...' would be perfect sentence, isn't it?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
What's wrong with these sentence?
I, although being poor,am a honest guy

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Send PM
Jardani4908 wrote:
What's wrong with these sentence?
I, although being poor,am a honest guy

As I remember , although should be used as conjunction to connect 2 clauses ( must have one verb and one subject) but not 2 phrases
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
How can something (here spot) be visible on a surface of Sun? This sentence should come under universal truth. Why we cannot use appear over here? I am so confused on this.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
pramitchatterjee wrote:
How can something (here spot) be visible on a surface of Sun? This sentence should come under universal truth. Why we cannot use appear over here? I am so confused on this.

Hi pramitchatterjee,

Appear may lead to the wrong meaning, but that's a pretty tough meaning call (and I don't recommend starting with the are/appear split). There are other ways to remove the appear options.

Also, are (like appear) is in the present tense.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
skim wrote:
Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic activity, are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on the Sun’s poles or equator.

(A) are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on
Even though wordy it conveys the right meaning therefore let us hang on to it

(B) are visible as dark spots that never have been sighted on the surface of the Sun
This is a hot mess and just doesn't make any sense

(C) appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots although never sighted at
This was the closest runner up however even though consice doesn't convey the right meaning

(D) appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun, although never having been sighted at
never having isn't the right usage and distorts the meaning

(E) appear as dark spots on the Sun's surface, which have never been sighted on
which modifies the subject from dark spots to Sun's surface which just doesn't make any sense

Therefore IMO A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
I've a doubt in option A
There is no comma before but
If I am not wrong don't we use a comma in order to join 2 independent sentences while using a fanboy conjunction?
Since there no comma isn't it a comma splice?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sarthakaggarwal wrote:
I've a doubt in option A
If I am not wrong don't we use a comma in order to join 2 independent sentences while using a fanboy conjunction?

Hi sarthakaggarwal,

We can read the original sentence like this:

1. Sunspots... are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on the Sun’s poles or equator.But joins two verbs, are and have been sighted.

Generally speaking, the rule that a comma must be used before a coordinating conjunction that joins two ICs isn't particularly reliable, and I don't recommend using it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
sarthakaggarwal wrote:
I've a doubt in option A

Hi sarthakaggarwal,

We can read the original sentence like this:

1. Sunspots... are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on the Sun’s poles or equator.But joins two verbs, are and have been sighted.

Generally speaking, the rule that a comma must be used before a coordinating conjunction that joins two ICs isn't particularly reliable, and I don't recommend using it.

Oh is that so
I'll keep it in mind from now onwars
Thank you!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic activity, are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on the Sun’s poles or equator.

(A) are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on -> "But" hints for a contrast and
coordinating conjunction, which requires a verb. "have" works as a verb. There is no SVA error. Let's keep it.

(B) are visible as dark spots that never have been sighted on the surface of the Sun -> It changed the meaning. We know, sunspots can be visible on the surface, till now not on pole or equator. Incorrect.

(C) appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots although never sighted at -> Although is a sub-ordinating conjunction, so it requires verb. We don't have a verb. Incorrect.

(D) appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun, although never having been sighted at -> "having been sighted" is incorrect tense usage. Incorrect.

(E) appear as dark spots on the Sun's surface, which have never been sighted on -> Now, which is modifying "the Sun's surface". It is not the intended meaning. Incorrect.

So, It is A. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 540 Q44 V19
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Marcab wrote:
Hii Shraddha.
I had been through the SC course in which I was told that unless there is some quantity word, the subject cannot reside inside a prepositional phrase.
So as per that, I feel why shouldn't the "which" modifies the dark spots and not "Sun's surface".
Consider the example:
Most of the Indians, who are generally good at quant, prefer taking CAT.
IMO, I am talking about Indians in general and not about 80% of the Indians.

Now consider this"
The box of nails, which is black in color, is kept upon the table.
IMO, here which refers to "the box" and not "nails".

Please clarify.
Regards.

Hi Marcab,

Let’s begin from the basic, relative pronoun modifiers, or for that matter any noun modifier, modifies the immediate preceding noun entity. This noun entity can be a single word or a noun phrase. If the modified entity is a noun phrase, then the number of the head of the noun entity decides the number of the verb. Let’s take a set of examples here:
1. The box of nails that are rusted is kept on the table.
2. The box of nails, which is black in color, is kept on the table.

In sentence 1, relative pronoun “that” refers to “nails”. The verb after “that” is plural that makes it clear that the DC is talking about the “nails”.

In sentence 2, “which” refers to “the box”. Here again the verb “is” tells us what “which” stands for.

Now, this is a very common confusion that a subject cannot lie in the prepositional phrase. Here I would like to elaborate a bit. This rule that subject cannot be in the prepositional phrase only applies to the SV number agreement.
In both above mentioned examples, the verb of the IC is “is” because the subject of the sentence is “the box”. In such constructions, “nails” or the noun entity that lies in the prepositional phrase cannot be the subject. Hence the number of the subject decides the number of the verb.

However, this rule does not apply to the modification of the relative pronouns. Relative pronouns can refer to any noun in the noun phrase preceding it, even if that noun lies in the prepositional phrase as is evident form the above mentioned examples.

Now intheofficial question of Sun SPots, I have already explained in my earlier post, why "which" cannot refer to "dark spots". You can understand the reasoning by reading the article "Noun Modifiers can refer to far away nouns" the link to which has been provided in that post.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Please clarify:

The box of nails, which is black in color, is kept upon the table.

How can the above statement be right ???? Here the which is near the word "nails" that means whatever comes after which must modify or describe nails......If the intent of this sentence was to say the box was black in colour, then shouldn't it be as follows:

The box of nails, black in color, is kept upon the table ?

or

Nails is kept inside the box, which is black in color, and the box is kept upon the table ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Hello,

Can anyone explain why "although" is wrong here please?
I also had the feeling that it did not convey exactly the right meaning.

Moreover, is although always followed by both a subject and a verb (independent clause)?

GMATRockstar wrote:
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts