Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [5]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Leadership, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: My experience with the Executive Assessment (EA) [#permalink]
Hey davidmango, thanks for posting your preparation story. I am in similar situation as you were. I plan on taking my EA. How was your score?
Does one really need the preparation package or 2016 GMAT OG suffice?

TIA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
pakora

I took the exam last Friday (October 16th). GMAC says they provide results back in 7 days so I will be sure to update you and the community with my score and any final feedback. Should know in the next few days.

I feel like i can also speak to the second question as well. I had my 2018 OG book (from when I was planning on taking the GMAT) and used it a few times here and there to turn up the difficulty of questions. I wouldn’t say using this as your only tool will adequately prepare you. Some thoughts on that:
1.) you want to emulate the testing environment as much as possible when taking practice exams. This is general consensus and I agree. Being comfortable on exam day is 99% of the battle. If you are using the OG book, you are likely using more physical tools than the electronic tools you would use for a proctored exam (either in the testing center or at home through the new online proctored exam).
2.) OG will have too much noise of topics that aren’t on the EA exam (geometry in Q sections, AWA, less emphasis on IR, etc.)
3.) i found the online prep tools from GMAC to be great. I bought the bundle which included a online practice bank of questions, an additional 50 IR questions, and 4 practice exams. You may know this already but the EA is MAT not CAT (the GMAT is CAT). The practice tests are MAT and help you work through any timing issues (which if you ask most EA test takers is there toughest challenge).

All things considered, the OG book is. Helpful supplementary tool but I believe you put yourself at a disadvantage by not having another resource.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks davidmango for your pronto response. Much appreciated.
I wish you all the luck that you get the best score.

Your advise is relevant and I think you make valid points that I should follow. I am curious about your preparation strategy - how long and how much time you spent each day?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pakora

Happy to help. It can feel like a daunting task and with the small amount of information on the EA I am happy to share.

For studying i studied for about a month leading up to the exam. The first week of that month was spent simply reviewing my old gmat notes from 2018 and doing just a few practice problems. I also took this time to familiarize myself with the structure of the exam. During this week I would say I spent about 2 hours every day for 6 days. The next two weeks were diving straight into the online practice questions. 10 IR, 10 Q, 10 V a day. Mandatory review of all answers and overall note review. That was about 2-3 hours a day. Every 3 days during that time period I would take a practice exam. Again, reviewed in full. No additional problems on test day (it is a mental grind). The last week I alternated between a practice test and the practice problems within the word bank (10 IR 10 V, 10 Q) each day. The only exception was the last day leading up to the test. I spent that simply reviewing my notes and doing one or two practice problems from each section (IR, Q, V) just to keep my mind fresh. With all the exams I’ve taken in my career my best advice was to never study super hard the night before an exam and just rest up.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey pakora and everyone. Just received my test score back. Sigh of relief i scored a 150 (IR-8, V-12, Q-10). The frustrating part for me was that the lowest i ever scored on IR during my practice tests was a 10 (I think my average on IR was 14 - I had a few tests where I scored 18). I think that speaks to my level of frustration from the news i received the day before the test. If i scored my bottom score on IR ever I believe that score would’ve been more in the 154ish range. Anyway, magic number 150 has me feeling pretty good. I will be waiting on applications until next cycle for Fall 2021 admissions.

Wishing the best of luck to everyone. Again, if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to reach out (either on this thread or send me a direct message).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congratulations davidmango and thank you for posting your experience. I hope to pass forward your goodwill when my time comes.

Did you take the online exam or at a test center? If you took the exam online, how was that experience for you?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
pakora

I took the test proctored online at my apartment. I wrote about the experience in my initial post but to summarize I thought it was great and easy. I would highly recommend.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos