Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32938 [4]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [4]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: In the 1970s, the idea of building so-called “New Towns” to absorb gro [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Kratul412 wrote:
In Question no 3 how c is right

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Kratul,

In option C - New utility software that solves one computer problem but creates another.

Here the main purpose of developing new town was to absorb the growth of urban cities- New utility software that will solve one problem.

But instead this program weakened those cities further by drawing away high income citizens. Hence it created another problem.

I hope it will help.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32938 [1]
Send PM
In the 1970s, the idea of building so-called “New Towns” to absorb gro [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kratul412 wrote:

Official Explanation

3. Which of the following phenomena is most closely analogous to the New Towns established in the United States?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

According to the first sentence of the passage, New Towns were originally conceptualized as a way to absorb growth. Based on other information in the passage, it appears that U.S. New Towns achieved this objective—at least to some extent—since city residents who could afford to move away from urban centers did so. At the same time, however, the cities were left with new problems, such as an insufficient tax base to support themselves and to retain businesses. Thus, like the phenomenon that choice (C) describes, New Towns were an innovation that served to solve one problem but created another along the way.

The correct answer is (C).

Hope it helps
Oxford Saïd School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 610 Q48 V26
Send PM
Re: In the 1970s, the idea of building so-called “New Towns” to absorb gro [#permalink]
Q1.
Paragraph summary
Para1 - Intended purpose of the "New Towns" and what is expected out of it ?
Para2 - How they failed and what is the impact ?
Para3 - Why they failed ? and that they created new problems.

Overall Summary - New towns expectations, their failure and reasons for failure.

A. True for 3rd para only.
B. Partially true for 1st para only.
C. Partial scope, it is not the primary purpose of the passage.
D. Correct. As per overall summary above. First sentence explains the expectation - "In the 1970s, the idea of building so-called “New Towns” to absorb growth was considered a potential cure-all for urban problems in the United States." The rest of the passage explains how and why they failed to meet those expectations.
E. This is the gist of para2.

Q2.
A. This is not dicussed in the passage.
B. The contrary is mentioned in the passage - "Federal regulations designed to promote the New Town concept failed to consider social needs as the European plans did"
C. Nothing about pollution is discussed.
D. No redevelopment was planned for urban centres. Only tried to reduce the existing problems.
E. Correct Can be inferred from - " also weakened those cities further by drawing away high income citizens"

Q3.
Useful reference from the passage - "Federal regulations designed to promote the New Town concept failed to consider social needs as the European plans did."

Option A is in line with the above analogy. Correct
B. Irrelevant
C. Problems of urban towns are not solved.
D. There is no side effect analogy.
E. Irrlevant.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
1. The author’s primary concern in the passage is to

(A) describe the characteristics of American New Towns that made them unsuccessful.
(B) trace the development of the New Town concept in the United States.
(C) list the differences between New Towns in the United States and those in Europe.
(D) explain why New Towns in the United States failed to meet general expectations.
(E) analyze the impact of New Towns on urban centers in the United States.

Correct Answer - D
Explanation - The passage mentions the development of New Towns, in the US, and that it was unsuccessful and the reasons behind it failing, the corruption and ignorance of social needs of the people.
Option A - incorrect, close one but choosing D as it seems more appropriate as the primary purpose of the passage.
Option B - incorrect, as only development is the primary purpose of the passage.
Option C - incorrect, as no differences have been mentioned.
Option E - incorrect, as the primary purpose of the passage is to analyze why the New Towns failed in the US.

2. Based only on the information in the passage, with which of the following statements about New Towns in the United States would the author most likely agree?

(A) They helped dissuade businesses in urban centers from relocating to other areas.
(B) They provided a thriving social center away from the problems of the older city.
(C) They helped reduce air pollution by relocating workplaces to suburbs, where most workers lived.
(D) They thwarted economic redevelopment plans for decaying urban centers.
(E) They provided affluent urban residents an escape from the city.

Correct Answer - D
Explanation - as D most closely resembles the lines mentioned in the passage: "As it turned out, the promoters of New Towns were the developers, builders, and financial institutions, all whose main interest was financial gain. Not surprisingly, development occurred in areas where land was cheap and construction profitable rather than where New Towns were genuinely needed. "
Option A, B, C, E - incorrect, as they might have, but its not explicitly mentioned, it might have happened but was not the direct intention of creating the New Towns.

3. Which of the following phenomena is most closely analogous to the New Towns established in the United States?

(A) A business that fails as a result of insufficient demand for its products or services
(B) A new game that fails to attain widespread popularity because its rules are unfair
(C) New utility software that solves one computer problem but creates another
(D) A new drug whose side effects are severe enough to discourage people from using it
(E) A scientific theory that lacks supporting empirical evidence

Correct Answer - B,
Explanation - what we need to compare about New Towns is that: New Towns were created but the plan could not work because of poor planning and ignorance of social ignorance.
Option B, provides the best analogous example as compared to New Towns in the U.S.
Optiona A, C, D, E - are incorrect as they are not analogous in any way to the New Towns example of US.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
In the 1970s, the idea of building so-called “New Towns” to absorb gro [#permalink]
Expert Reply
OAs of this RC are as follow:

1. D
2. E
3. C

The difficulty level of this RC is 650, Good job done by dave13 and Gautam12121991. If anyone have any question kindly let me know, i am here to help you.
Oxford Saïd School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 610 Q48 V26
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Kratul412 wrote:

Official Explanation

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

According to the first sentence of the passage, New Towns were originally conceptualized as a way to absorb growth. Based on other information in the passage, it appears that U.S. New Towns achieved this objective—at least to some extent—since city residents who could afford to move away from urban centers did so. At the same time, however, the cities were left with new problems, such as an insufficient tax base to support themselves and to retain businesses. Thus, like the phenomenon that choice (C) describes, New Towns were an innovation that served to solve one problem but created another along the way.

The correct answer is (C).

Hope it helps

This explains why Option C is correct and does not address why other options are wrong. Can you please post further explanation. SajjadAhmad
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32938 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gautam12121991 wrote:

This explains why Option C is correct and does not address why other options are wrong. Can you please post further explanation. SajjadAhmad

Just have read your explanation and i can say now, you took this question in the wrong direction, A has never been (even a little) close to the official answer. Only option D makes a bit of sense but C is better than D.

(A) A business that fails as a result of insufficient demand for its products or services

In the passage it is clear that there was a definite need of New Towns in United States, The plan of New Towns in United states was rather implemented in the wrong direction. Option A says that the product and services of a business were made perfectly but the demand of these product and services was none. If option A would rather states, for example, A Business failed due to wrongly made products, It would have been a perfect example.

Hope it helps
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Hi Sajjad1994, I was not sold on the answer choices of Q2. and Q3. Please could you help me out. Here is what I believe...

Quote:
Q.2 Based only on the information in the passage, with which of the following statements about New Towns in the United States would the author most likely agree?

(A) They helped dissuade businesses in urban centers from relocating to other areas.
Opposite. By stating "Taxpayers who remained were left to carry a greater burden, while industry and commerce sought to escape." The author agrees that the New Towns in the U.S. did indeed dissuade businesses in urban centers.

(B) They provided a thriving social center away from the problems of the older city.
Not mentioned. The author has nowhere stated that the New Towns provided a social center let alone it being thriving or not. In fact by stating "Moreover, poor planning and legislation produced not the sort of successful New Towns seen in Britain but rather nothing more than sprawling suburbs." the author is trying to tell us that the New Towns were far from being a "dreamland"

(C) They helped reduce air pollution by relocating workplaces to suburbs, where most workers lived.
Irrelevant. Air pollution isn't even the topic discussed out here. We can immediately reject (C)

(D) They thwarted economic redevelopment plans for decaying urban centers.
Could be correct.
1. However, the ill-considered projects not only failed to relieve pressures on existing cities, but also weakened those cities further by drawing away high income citizens
2. This increased the concentration of low-income groups—who were unable to provide the necessary tax base to support the cities. Taxpayers who remained were left to carry a greater burden, while industry and commerce sought to escape.
3. Taxpayers who remained were left to carry a greater burden, while industry and commerce sought to escape.

The above point gave me a sense that the "urban centers" were indeed decaying (falling down in economic activity) and the New Towns,weakened those cities further by drawing away high income citizens and resulted in industry and commerce sought to escape., stopped economic development from taking place. It rather worsened the economic situation.

(E) They provided affluent urban residents an escape from the city.
Could be correct. By stating "but also weakened those cities further by drawing away high income citizens" the author agrees that the "affluent urban residents" shifted to the New Towns, thus "escaping from the city"

Please could you help me with (D) and (E) of Q.2

Quote:

(A) A business that fails as a result of insufficient demand for its products or services.
The New Towns did not solve the problem but rather worsened the urban situation. The lack of "demand" was no where a problem.

(B) A new game that fails to attain widespread popularity because its rules are unfair
Neither "Widespread popularity" nor "rules being unfair" were the problems created by the New Towns.

The OE states that "According to the first sentence of the passage, New Towns were originally conceptualized as a way to absorb growth. Based on other information in the passage, it appears that U.S. New Towns achieved this objective—at least to some extent" Yes, indeed the New Towns did achieve this objective BUT the choice talks about "solving one problem" and creating another. By merely achieving the objective we cannot conclude that it solves one problem.

The people BELIVED that by achieving this objective the problem will be solved. But that does not mean that if the objective is solved the plan is "partly" solving one problem. Rather, the author clearly states that "the ill-considered projects not only failed to relieve pressures on existing cities, but also weakened those cities further by drawing away high income citizens" This sentence clearly shows that no problem was solved, rather the problem worsened.

(D) A new drug whose side effects are severe enough to discourage people from using it.
Indeed the New Towns had major flaws (P2 and P3 clearly state the same). There was no benefit out of them and hence the "side effects" are severe enough to refrain from continuing with the plan.

(E) A scientific theory that lacks supporting empirical evidence
P1 and P2 provide enough of empirical evidence. One could easily conclude that the New Town was a failure by citing all the facts/consequences following the New Towns development.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32938 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
Hi Sajjad1994, I was not sold on the answer choices of Q2. and Q3. Please could you help me out. Here is what I believe...

Official Explanation

2. Based only on the information in the passage, with which of the following statements about New Towns in the United States would the author most likely agree?

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

In the second paragraph, the author states that one of the effects of New Towns was to draw high-income citizens away from the cities— essentially what choice (E) indicates.

The correct answer is (E).

For Question #3 please read my replies below in the links

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-1970s ... l#p2509577

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-1970s ... l#p2462763

Thank you
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Sajjad1994 thank you for your reply.

I agree with the O.E. of Q.2. But please could you help me understand on what basis do I reject (D). The overview of the passage does give a sense that the New Towns did indeed serve as a barrier to the Economic development of the urban centers.

Coming to Q.3. As mentioned by the O.E. the plan helped achieve an objective (at least part of it) but statement (C) talks about solving one problem but creating another. How can we equate partly "achieving" an " objective" to "solving" a " problem"
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Hoozan wrote:
Sajjad1994 thank you for your reply.

I agree with the O.E. of Q.2. But please could you help me understand on what basis do I reject (D). The overview of the passage does give a sense that the New Towns did indeed serve as a barrier to the Economic development of the urban centers.

Coming to Q.3. As mentioned by the O.E. the plan helped achieve an objective (at least part of it) but statement (C) talks about solving one problem but creating another. How can we equate partly "achieving" an " objective" to "solving" a " problem"

Hi Hoozan,

Quote:

We cannot infer that New Towns were redevelopment plans for decaying urban centers. They were only meant to divert residents from existing centers, so that current urban problems would at least get no worse. Thus they did not prevent any redevelopment plans for decaying urban centers.

Quote:

In question 3 we need to look for an answer most similar to how New Towns that were meant to absorb growth caused a number of other different problems. Option C is similar one. New utility software that is meant to solve a number of problems does that in some way but creates another set of issues. Thus we don't have to literally compare "achieving an objective" to "solving a problem", we just need to look for an option that is analogous to the asked question.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 232
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V30
Send PM
Hi Sajjad1994 can you please share the answer of question 1 because I am confused between A And D
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
bond001 wrote:
Hi Sajjad1994 can you please share the answer of question 1 because I am confused between A And D

Official Explanation

1. The author’s primary concern in the passage is to

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

In the first paragraph, the author cites certain erroneous assumptions upon which the U.S. New Town concept was based. Then, in the next two paragraphs, the author describes how and why New Towns in the United States failed to solve urban problems and to provide the sort of social environment hoped for. Choice (D) provides a good recapitulation of this entire discussion.

The correct answer is (D).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM

(D) A new drug whose side effects are severe enough to discourage people from using it
(E) A scientific theory that lacks supporting empirical evidence [/box_in][/box_out][/align][/quote]

According to this line in the passage, "Not surprisingly, development occurred in areas where land was cheap and construction profitable rather than where New Towns were genuinely needed" shouldn't the answer be Option A?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Urvish55 wrote:

(E) A scientific theory that lacks supporting empirical evidence [/box_in][/box_out][/align]

According to this line in the passage, "Not surprisingly, development occurred in areas where land was cheap and construction profitable rather than where New Towns were genuinely needed" shouldn't the answer be Option A?

Read the OE of question #3 in the post in the link below.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-1970s ... l#p2462763

Good Luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
can someone please give an explaination for answer 2
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
willmakethiscount wrote:
can someone please give an explaination for answer 2

All these below links contain explanations to question #2.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-1970s ... l#p2508979

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-1970s ... l#p2508744

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-1970s ... l#p2508986

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-1970s ... l#p2644108

Thank you
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts