Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [8]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: To avoid confusion between oral medications, different pills’ coatings [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ravigupta2912 wrote:
Doesn't B convey meaning not intended? Pills's coating vs pills of different color? I think this is stretching a bit too much into specific knowledge of drug? Experts please help!

I had eliminated B, D and E on the basis of above i.e. different pills's coating color vs pills of different color.

Eduardo86 wrote:
Is not the idioms x and b as well as c?? B is a as well as b and c

Hello, everyone. In the interest of assisting the community, I will offer my thoughts on the question. Remember, only the non-underlined portion conveys the intended meaning of the sentence. I like to say that the other parts are all interchangeable, like Legos of the same dimension that simply come in different colors. Otherwise, (A) would be the answer more often than proves to be the case. Then, regarding idioms, just because a "list" idiom tends to follow a certain pattern does not mean it must always fall in a particular order in a given sentence. The GMAT™ prefers the clear and concise expression of vital meaning, that is all. With that said, how about we look at the sentence?

Sajjad1994 wrote:
To avoid confusion between oral medications, different pills’ coatings should have different colors, and pills should be different in shape and size.

(A) different pills’ coatings should have different colors, and pills should be different in shape and size

There is nothing wrong with the grammar of the sentence, but the possessive pills' coatings in the beginning is a little hard to follow. Then, notice that we have three separate uses of the word different. Surely, there must be a way to restrict such usage. If you felt unsure about this one, you could hang on to it, but I would keep looking.

Sajjad1994 wrote:
(B) pills should differ in color as well as in shape and size

This is much cleaner, with different from before transformed into a single verb. We have three qualities named in which pills should differ: color, shape, and size. This list happens to branch more on the right, and both sides are perfectly parallel. Instead of A and B, as well as C, we get, A, as well as B and C. Perhaps the sentence means to convey that color is the most important quality for differentiating pills. Who can say whether that is incorrect, given that this information falls within the underlined portion of the sentence? In short, there is nothing to argue against from either a grammatical or semantic standpoint in this one. It is a keeper in the first sweep of the answer choices.

Sajjad1994 wrote:
(C) the different pills’ coatings should has different colors, and pills should be different in shape and size

We are reverting to the previous different (*3) construct, and there is a clear problem with the verb tense in should has. I am assuming this is not a typo. Moreover, you should be questioning whether the article the at the head of the underlined portion is absolutely necessary. Does it add clarity that choice (A), for example, lacks? Not really. If we have a few reasons to doubt an answer, that should be enough to see it off.

Sajjad1994 wrote:
(D) pills should be able to be distinguished by their color, shape, and size

Again, there is nothing absolutely wrong here, but be able to be is poorly expressed and arguably redundant. Would should be distinguishable not work better instead? Another one down, with one more to go.

Sajjad1994 wrote:
(E) the different pills should be able to be distinguished by their color, shape, and size

Well, we get the same unnecessary the at the head, and we are falling back on be able to be. Both are just as bad as they were before. Get rid of this one.

There you have it. Of the choices presented, (B) is a clear winner. The takeaways? Focus on the clear expression of vital meaning. Three appearances of a descriptive word in the same sentence ought to raise a caution flag. Also, do not write off answer choices on the basis of some arcane "rule." Many so-called rules are simply conventions, appearing commonly in one way when they can operate just as well in some lesser-known way. Finally, trust only the non-underlined portion of the sentence to convey the intended meaning. Everything else is negotiable.

I hope that helps. I would be happy to answer any questions on this one. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: To avoid confusion between oral medications, different pills’ coatings [#permalink]
The answer says, Pill should be of different color... However the question says that the coating should be of different colors... Pills could be of same color..
B) should not be the correct answers.
Please review.

Thanks
S
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts