Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3019 [85]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6122 [16]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5743 [7]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [1]
Given Kudos: 317
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: Consumer advocate: There is no doubt that the government [#permalink]
Kudos
deepali9 wrote:
Can someone explain the difference between option A and B and how B is much better option?

The correct answer is A, and not B. So, B is in fact not a much better option.
The problem with B is with the word "unforeseen", and we have no clue from the argument whether government expected or did not expected the price increase. All we know that the government took some initiative and its associated result.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
Schools: ISB '18
Send PM
Kudos
nguyendinhtuong wrote:
ganand wrote:
Consumer advocate: There is no doubt that the government is responsible for the increased cost of gasoline, because the government’s policies have significantly increased consumer demand for fuel, and as a result of increasing demand, the price of gasoline has risen steadily.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the consumer advocate’s argument?

(A) The government can bear responsibility for that which it indirectly causes.

(B) The government is responsible for some unforeseen consequences of its policies.

(C) Consumer demand for gasoline cannot increase without causing gasoline prices to increase.

(D) The government has an obligation to ensure that demand for fuel does not increase excessively.

(E) If the government pursues policies that do not increase the demand for fuel, gasoline prices tend to remain stable

Source: LSAT

Done in 3 mins :(

The argument is:

Gov's policies => increase consumer demand for fuel => increase the price of gasoline
Conclusion: Gov is responsible for the increased cost of gasoline.

Now check each choice.

Correct. As the increase in gasoline prices is the consequences of goverment's policies, the author assumes that the goverment is responsible for it's policies' indirect consequences

(B) The government is responsible for some unforeseen consequences of its policies.
This choice is somewhat true and relevant to the argument. However, we can't know that the increase in gasoline prices is the unforeseen consequences of government's policies or not. The passage didn't mention anything about the forecast of the government. Choice A is better.

(C) Consumer demand for gasoline cannot increase without causing gasoline prices to increase.
I think this choice could be a trap since we use reverse way, which is the common way to solve CR questions, to check the argument. In fact, this choice is irrelevant to the argument because the argument did state that the increase in demand for gasoline caused the increase in gasoline prices.

(D) The government has an obligation to ensure that demand for fuel does not increase excessively.
This choice is irrelevant.

(E) If the government pursues policies that do not increase the demand for fuel, gasoline prices tend to remain stable
This is a really good trap. In choice E, if demand for fuel didn't increase, gasoline prices tend to remain, so the government isn't responsible for the increased cost of gasoline. However, the gasoline prices isn't necessarily stable. What if the prices go down in case that the demand didn't increase but decrease instead?

I still didn't get why E is not the answer.

Due to gov policies demand increased and also the price of fuel. So the assumption could be if policies didn't have effect on fuel demand then price could be stable.

Where did i missed my logic? egmat
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [2]
Given Kudos: 317
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Consumer advocate: There is no doubt that the government [#permalink]
Kudos
sai897 wrote:

I still didn't get why E is not the answer.

Two primary reasons,
1. The correct answer in an assumption question must connect the premise and the conclusion, or work within the gap between the premise and the conclusion.
The main conclusion is : "There is no doubt that the government is responsible for the increased cost of gasoline", so the correct one must, in some way, relate to this conclusion. E deals only with the premise.
2. E can also be treated as out of scope.
The primary condition of the argument: "government’s policies that have significantly increased consumer demand for fuel", while E changes the condition to "government pursues policies that do not increase the demand for fuel".
Eliminate E

sai897 wrote:
Due to gov policies demand increased and also the price of fuel. So the assumption could be if policies didn't have effect on fuel demand then price could be stable.

Where did i missed my logic? egmat

No.
"If the government’s policies have significantly increased consumer demand for fuel, the price of gasoline will rise steadily". is not same as,
"If the government’s policies have not significantly increased consumer demand for fuel, the price of gasoline will rise steadily". Either consider it from #2 above that changes the condition, or consider it from "If X, then Y" is not equal to "if not X, then Y"
the correct one would be,
"If the price of gasoline did not rise steadily, the government’s policies would not have significantly increased consumer demand for fuel". But, in this question this would also have been incorrect as #1.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [5]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Consumer advocate: There is no doubt that the government [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
courtesy : PowerScore

Assumption—CE. The correct answer choice is (A)

The premises suggest that the government’s policies caused an increase in the demand for fuel, which—in turn—caused the price of gasoline to rise. The consumer advocate concludes that the government is therefore responsible for the increased cost of gasoline.

There is a distinct logical gap in this argument. While the government may have directly caused the increase in consumer demand and therefore indirectly caused the increase in gas prices, this does not automatically imply that the government is responsible for the increase in prices. “Responsibility” is a rogue term in the conclusion, and the assumption of this argument is likely to play a Supporter role by connecting responsibility to the fact that the government indirectly caused gas prices to increase.

Answer Choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. This answer choice is a classic Supporter Assumption that connects the premises to the conclusion. In order to establish that the government bears responsibility for increased gas prices even though they only indirectly caused the increase in gas prices, the government must be able to bear responsibility for things they indirectly cause. Applying the Assumption Negation Technique, if the government cannot bear responsibility for things they indirectly cause, such a government would not be held responsible for the increase in gas prices.

Answer Choice (B): The information in this answer choice is extraneous to the argument. The rise in gas prices may have been a foreseeable consequence of the government’s policies. Since this answer choice does not necessarily apply to the argument, it is not required for the argument to be true.

Answer Choice (C): This answer choice suggests that an increase in consumer demand for gasoline requires an increase in gasoline prices. While increased consumer demand caused a rise in gasoline prices, the author does not have to assume that the former requires the latter. Causal arguments rarely assume conditional relationships. Furthermore, this answer choice does not attempt to link the “rogue” term in the conclusion to the rest of the argument.

Answer Choice (D): This answer choice strengthens the argument by outlining the government’s obligation to ensure that demand for fuel does not increase excessively. However, the author does not need to assume that the government has this obligation. Even if the government did not have an obligation to prevent excessive increases in the demand for fuel, they might still be responsible for the increase in fuel prices.

Answer Choice (E): The government did pursue policies that increased the demand for fuel, so this answer choice does not apply to the stimulus. Also, the author already established that increased consumer demand caused the increase in fuel prices. The author does not need to assume any additional connection between these two premises.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5743 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
A fun and challenging LSAT assumption question that I am bumping for discussion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Choosing an answer after spending 3min on it and it ends up irrevant ???

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Why do I find A and D parallel?
If government has no obligation to control demand, then how can it be held responsible for an increased price which is an effect of demand?
Also, if we apply the negation test to option E,
'If the government pursues policies that increase the demand for fuel, gasoline prices tend to remain stable'....This goes against the arguement
Where am I going wrong?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Raj30 wrote:
Why do I find A and D parallel?
If government has no obligation to control demand, then how can it be held responsible for an increased price which is an effect of demand?
Also, if we apply the negation test to option E,
'If the government pursues policies that increase the demand for fuel, gasoline prices tend to remain stable'....This goes against the arguement
Where am I going wrong?

To differentiate between answers (A), (D), and (E), remember that the question asks us to find an "assumption required by the consumer advocate’s argument." This means that for the argument to be logically sound, the correct answer choice must be true.

First, let's take a look at the key pieces of the passage:

• The advocate concludes that " the government is responsible for the increased cost of gasoline."
  • She/he supports that conclusion by stating that "the government’s policies have significantly increased consumer demand for fuel, and as a result of increasing demand, the price of gasoline has risen steadily."

Now, apply this understanding to the answer choices in question:
Quote:
A) The government can bear responsibility for that which it indirectly causes.

The author states that government policies have increased consumer demand for fuel, and this in turn has caused the price of gasoline to increase. Notice that the increase in price of gasoline is an indirect result of the government's policies. The author then concludes that the government is responsible for the increased cost of gasoline. For this conclusion to be logically sound, it is necessary to establish the government can, in fact, bear responsibility for that which it indirectly causes.

Answer choice (A) must be true in order for the argument to be logically sound, so (A) is the correct answer.

Now take another look at (D):
Quote:

The advocate's argument makes a claim about what the government has done, not what the the government has an obligation to do. Whether or not the government "has an obligation to ensure that demand for fuel does not increase excessively," the fact remains that government’s policies have increased consumer demand for fuel, and as a result of increasing demand, the price of gasoline has risen steadily. Based on this, the advocate concludes that the government is responsible for the increase in fuel prices.

The advocate may well agree with the sentiment of answer choice (D), but it is not an assumption required by his/her argument. (D) is out.

Quote:

You state in your analysis that negating (E) "goes against the argument." Remember that we are not looking to strengthen or support the argument -- we are looking for an assumption required by the argument. Because the argument does not depend on the information in (E) (what if, for example, gasoline prices decrease if the government pursues policies that do not increase demand?), this is not an assumption required by the argument. So we can eliminate (E).

I hope this helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Initally I thought the answer was "A", however when i saw "can bear", i eliminated A.

I think correct version should have been "Government is responsible" what does can bear mean ? has the capacity to bear responsibility as in Public Litigation or some public outcry leading to lack of votes ?

As this is LSAT question, I think i'll have to accept the answer here. :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
Send PM
My pre-thinking was if the govt. had not selected the policies it did then demand for fuel would not increase and consequently the price would not rise too. In short policies is the cause.

Negated : Govt shouldn't be blamed in a situation in which without its policies the demand of fuel would still rise.

Which is why I selected E.

Where did I went wrong?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
rounakkedia172 wrote:
My pre-thinking was if the govt. had not selected the policies it did then demand for fuel would not increase and consequently the price would not rise too. In short policies is the cause.

Negated : Govt shouldn't be blamed in a situation in which without its policies the demand of fuel would still rise.

Which is why I selected E.

Where did I went wrong?

Hi Rounak

The stimulus tells us that, "the government’s policies (X) have significantly increased consumer demand for fuel (Y)". In other words X --> Y. This does not mean that X is the only cause of Y or Y can only be caused by X. Your claim that " if the govt. had not selected the policies it did then demand for fuel would not increase" is not supported by the facts in the stimulus.

To elaborate, yes, policies have caused price rise but we cannot state that they are the only cause based on the information given in the stimulus. Therefore, we cannot be sure that without such policies, the price would not rise.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Send PM
ganand wrote:
Consumer advocate: There is no doubt that the government is responsible for the increased cost of gasoline, because the government’s policies have significantly increased consumer demand for fuel, and as a result of increasing demand, the price of gasoline has risen steadily.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the consumer advocate’s argument?

Source: LSAT

Policy change -> Increase in Demand for Fuel -> Increased Prices -> Government Fault. Why government fault?

(A) Negate the statement: The government can't bear responsibility for what it indirectly causes. Then it can also never be the governments fault, as it indirectly (knowingly or not) cause an increase in price. Correct

(B) We don't know if the consequences, namely the fuel price increasing, was unforeseen or not. Out

(C) (no increase in demand -> no increase in price) <-> increase in price -> increase in demand. This tells us nothing about why it could be the governments fault. Out

(D) We don't know if they increased excessively or just increased by a small amount daily. Out

(E) (Non-demand increasing policy -> stable prices) <-> unstable prices -> demand increasing policy. It could be that the prices are unstable in that they drop every day by a significant percentage, but that wouldn't imply that the demand increased necessarily
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts