Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 304
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 304
Send PM
Re: First Mock test. Unexpectedly high score? [#permalink]
st19931219 wrote:
Hi guys, did a mock test after 1 month of active prep and scored 630 Q42, V35.

I finished verbal with 7 minutes to spare. Any tips or thoughts on the above? I have my exam in a month. I did not expect to score so well on the mock.

P.S.I had attempted the official mock

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ekland wrote:
st19931219 wrote:

I finished verbal with 7 minutes to spare. Any tips or thoughts on the above? I have my exam in a month. I did not expect to score so well on the mock.

There needs to be a specific question in your post so it can get a helpful reply.
What exactly did you want to ask?
What's your target score?

Hey aiming for a 700+. I was just wondering if the official mocks are a good measure of performance? Because if I'm scoring 630 right now with a month's active prep, then given I have another month before D-day, should I be optimistic?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Shikhar22 wrote:
st19931219 wrote:

Just goes to show that you can improve your verbal by being more watchful. Maybe your rushing through when you don’t need to. What material did you use for preparation? Thanks

Hey, yes you're absolutely right. I need to slow down on verbal to score higher.

I used the OG verbal and quant review for questions, manhattan strategy guides for concept building, and also went through manhattan advanced quants for some more tricks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi st19931219,

A 630 is a strong initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 550 most years). That having been said, there are a variety of different factors that can impact your performance on a Test - and if this is your only CAT result so far, then it's not clear how detailed you were about taking this CAT in a realistic way and whether you may have gotten a bit lucky or unlucky with this performance. A CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. As such, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week.

Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores; from what you describe, your overall planned study timeframe is closer to just 2 months though - so with that shorter study window, there might be a limit to how high you will be able to Score on the Official GMAT.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the books that you mentioned?
3) Are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
That’s great! It’s a nice post for a change :-)

I think the answer depends a bit on what materials you using and how much you’ve already studied and how much you can study. Usually, on average people who take an in person class or live online class will improve about 120 points. You can match that doing on-demand classes or using books as long as you put systematic effort and you can improve 150 to 200 points if you are aware of your mistakes and aware of your weaknesses and know how to overcome them.

Making a very big generalization, my guess is people improve The most during the first month. At the same time, scores sometimes even go down during the first month of study sense approaches and strategies of being changed and still need to get refined and memorized.

In any case, if you haven’t done much studying, improving 70 points it’s totally doable. A month is a bit tight... Rich is modest but empowerGMAT has a great program which cost only $99 for a month. Hard to beat the value if you are looking to start right away.

Stern School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
st19931219 wrote:

I finished verbal with 7 minutes to spare. Any tips or thoughts on the above? I have my exam in a month. I did not expect to score so well on the mock. Perhaps I was underestimating myself.

Edit: I am aiming for 700. Given I have a little more than a month still before I take the actual exam, should I be optimistic?

I used the OG verbal and Quant for questions. Manhattan strategy guides for concepts and also went through Advanced Quant by Manhattan for some extra tricks.

Agreed to above posts . 630 Q42, V35. is a strong initial score . Hope you understand all of your correct and incorrect responses in the score . Dedicated prep of 3 + month can definitely lead to 700 + score .
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
st19931219 wrote:

I finished verbal with 7 minutes to spare. Any tips or thoughts on the above? I have my exam in a month. I did not expect to score so well on the mock. Perhaps I was underestimating myself.

Edit: I am aiming for 700. Given I have a little more than a month still before I take the actual exam, should I be optimistic?

I used the OG verbal and Quant for questions. Manhattan strategy guides for concepts and also went through Advanced Quant by Manhattan for some extra tricks.

Hi st19931219,

630 is a decent score. If you feel that the score is inflated, then ask yourself whether you got lucky with a few questions. Consider this score to be your correct prediction only if you solved all the questions using the right methods. If you got even a single question correct by guess work, then the score is not the actual reflection.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi st19931219,

The good news is that 630 is a very nice start. I do think you can reach 700 (eventually) and perhaps even in a month if you really work your butt off, but is there a particular reason why you need to take the GMAT in just one month? Also, in the meantime, here is a helpful article:

How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success
GMAT Club Bot