Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Anderson or Stern for Bay Area Tech PM?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GRE 1: Q168 V157
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Anderson vs Stern for Tech PM (Both full rides) [#permalink]
Kudos
My vote is for Anderson. It aligns with your goals and geographical preferences. Tech is also the school's forte. It should be noted that the alumni presence in the Bay for Anderson is more limited - there are 3 times as many alumni in LA. You can find the official statistics on the alumni page, whereas it's a bit more difficult for Stern. But based on LinkedIn searches the latter is somewhere between 1600 - 2000, Vs 3700 for Anderson. Have you considered Haas?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBASomeTime wrote:
My vote is for Anderson. It aligns with your goals and geographical preferences. Tech is also the school's forte. It should be noted that the alumni presence in the Bay for Anderson is more limited - there are 3 times as many alumni in LA. You can find the official statistics on the alumni page, whereas it's a bit more difficult for Stern. But based on LinkedIn searches the latter is somewhere between 1600 - 2000, Vs 3700 for Anderson. Have you considered Haas?

Great to see you MBASomeTime! Hope you are doing well! Thanks so much for your feedback!

Posted from my mobile device
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
randommbaguy21 wrote:
Hi all, I was recently admitted to Anderson and Stern (both with full tuition scholarships). I come from a mechanical engineering background and am looking to move into tech Product Management or start an entrepreneurial venture after school. I would like to return to the Bay Area after graduating. I am leaning towards Anderson, but wanted to get more perspectives. Here are my thoughts:

Stern
+Slightly stronger brand overall?
+Academics seem to be slightly stronger vs. Anderson
+Living in NYC would be an interesting learning experience
+Like the IQ+EQ focus
-Fewer people go into Tech, although Stern seems to be putting in resources to change that
-Higher COL
-Likely tougher to recruit for Bay Area, although it still seems doable
-Harder to keep in touch with my classmates and the school after graduating
-Weather

Anderson
+Lot more people go into Tech PM
+Vast majority stay in California, so network would probably be stronger for me long term
+Loved the campus and the surrounding area when I visited
+I think I'd probably enjoy LA life more than NYC life too
+Heard great things about Parker career center
+Very excited about the Business Creation capstone project
+Seems to have more of an entrepreneurship focus than Stern
-Weaker brand than Stern nationally but stronger brand in California?
-Potentially less tight-knit community since people tend to commute?

Any feedback or advice would be welcome, and please correct me if I'm wrong about any of my assumptions.

Sometimes the higher ranked school is the lower quality choice. This is one of those times (imo).

What did you decide?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Regenerate wrote:
Sometimes the higher ranked school is the lower quality choice. This is one of those times (imo).

What did you decide?

Decided on Anderson! Thanks all!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I am struggling to make this same decision as well! Also looking to go into tech product management after, but my situation is a little different as I graduated in engineering from UCLA for undergrad already, so I thought NYU would be a great choice for adding diversity to my resume.

Im struggling because I know recruiting resources will be stronger at Anderson, however since less people go into tech from NYU (because it's got such strong connections to Wall St) I figured it would help me stand out more in a smaller pool of people. That being said I loved my undergrad experience at UCLA and would love to go back, but am struggling because I think NYU has better academics and brand overall and the experience would help me build a larger network outside of UCLA. Any thoughts are appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Do you have a location preference for where you want to work after graduation? I think that should be a major factor in your decision.

It's also worth considering how much your non-professional goals would be fulfilled at both of those schools. For example, my undergrad school has a really strong MBA program, but I didn't apply because I felt that going to a new school in a new city would be more of a growth experience for me on a personal level.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
schnadra wrote:
I am struggling to make this same decision as well! Also looking to go into tech product management after, but my situation is a little different as I graduated in engineering from UCLA for undergrad already, so I thought NYU would be a great choice for adding diversity to my resume.

Im struggling because I know recruiting resources will be stronger at Anderson, however since less people go into tech from NYU (because it's got such strong connections to Wall St) I figured it would help me stand out more in a smaller pool of people. That being said I loved my undergrad experience at UCLA and would love to go back, but am struggling because I think NYU has better academics and brand overall and the experience would help me build a larger network outside of UCLA. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Congrats on your admits!
I would mention that if you are planning to be in SoCal after you graduate from Stern, then it is not a ton of reason to attend an East Coast school. (though Stern would be an interesting and valuable experience just from the diversity experience but not sure that's worth sinking 2 years into).

Second, I would not worry too much about the academics aspect. I don't think it will come into play a whole lot. Anderson has good options for classes and that becomes a secondary priority the closer you are to graduation and the more focused you are looking for a job.

One element of difference will be on-campus recruiting. Anderson and other west coast schools don't attract as much on campus activity from MBB's and other recruiters. I don't think it makes a difference in tech though between the 2 schools. But if you look at the stats, esp the pre-pandemic stats, west coast schools tend to lag. Even Stanford does not have as high of a number of people employed 3 months out and Berkeley either. It seems jobs are harder to come by. One reason is the on campus recruiting is weaker with fewer employers making trips. Also average salaries are lower out of Anderson than any of the schools ranked higher. I think that's an element of local recruiting and not that LA is so cheap but the jobs offered in the LA area tend to be medium and small businesses that tend to have lower comp vs. New York and larger firms.

My thought would be that if you liked Anderson, then no reason per se to take a risk, unless you wanted to be on the east coast in the long run (not very likely with tech focus which likely will lead to Bay Area or Seattle). There are some statistical indicators that would lean one's decision towards Stern but not sure that applies a strong trend in your case.

My 2 cents
BB.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts