Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [15]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 836 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Expecting the disease outbreak to be under control by May Day many [#permalink]
Kudos
This is a tough question for me as it tests verb tense extensively. I ended up choosing (D).

First split: "had hoped" (Past perfect) or "hoped" (Simple past) or "were hoping" (Past continuous).
A tough call. By reading the sentence multiple times, I feel that "had hoped" provides the essential clue to the reader that such hope had been dashed. Those organizations no longer held such hope.

Now, if I made the right call in choosing "had hoped", I would only need to pick between "with rising cases" (B) and "as cases rose" (D).
Another touch call. I honestly think either is acceptable. In that case, I must have picked the wrong split and have to go back to square one.
It is after several back and forth that I, based on gut instinct, picked (D) because it gives the feeling that the event of "rising cases" developed after they "had hoped". On the other hand, "with rising cases" might give the wrong impression that this development has been known all along.

Looking forward to the OE.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1614 [1]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Expecting the disease outbreak to be under control by May Day many [#permalink]
Kudos
Expecting the disease outbreak to be under control by May Day, many organizations hoped to restart operations next month, but as cases rose in dozens of states, some have scuttled those plans.

A) hoped to restart operations next month, but as cases rose Incorrect

as cases rose and hoped both in past form, I think past perfect tense required

B) had hoped to restart operations next month, but with rising cases Incorrect

but with rising cases sounds bad

C) hoped for operations restarting next month, but as cases had been rising Incorrect

had been uses wrong

D) had hoped to restart operations next month, but as cases rose Correct

E) were hoping for restarting operations next month, but as cases have risen Incorrect

have risen wrong - we are talking about past events and its result continues till now

I think answer D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 681 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Expecting the disease outbreak to be under control by May Day, many organizations hoped to restart operations next month, but as cases rose in dozens of states, some have scuttled those plans.
Meaning:
<An expectation> triggered <a hope/plan xxx>, but <an event> <destroyed the plan xxx>
The plan xxx did not exist after the event. The sequence is clear.

Note:
1.Past perfect is used :
- with another simple past event/event marker when the former event had some bearing/effect on later.
- To make the sequence of the events clear.

2.The most common usage of conjunction AS are the below two :
-While (simultaneously) : In AS X,Y - X and Y happened together. Thus, the tenses of both X and Y should be same.
-Because (since) : In AS X,Y - X triggers Y. Thus, the tenses of X and Y need not to be same.

AS cases rose in dozens of states, some have scuttled those plans.
In the above sentence, the incidents of "rising cases" and "scuttling the plans" can't be simultaneous.
In fact, because of "rising cases", "scuttling the plans" was considered. Thus, the tenses for "rising cases" and "scuttling the plans" need not to be same.

Now, let's see the choices -
A) hoped to restart operations next month, but as cases rose
Looks correct. "rising cases" triggered "scuttling the plans". Hold on with it.
B) had hoped to restart operations next month, but with rising cases
What is the subsequent simple past even for the past perfect "had hoped"? There is no simple past event or event indicator.
C) hoped for operations restarting next month, but as cases had been rising
Incorrect construction - <past perfect continuous>, <Present perfect>
D) had hoped to restart operations next month, but as cases rose
The simple past "rose" does not bear any relation/effect with the action in past perfect "had hoped" . Thus, past perfect is incorrect again.
E) were hoping for restarting operations next month, but as cases have risen
In AS X,Y - X(rise of cases) triggers Y (scuttling the plans).
The hope was intended to do something. Hence, infinitive ( to restart) works better.

Thus, A survives.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
IMO - E

Lets approach the sentence in two Steps -
I. Break Down the Sentence
II. Meaning

Step I - Break down the question
- The Sentence is staring with Expecting ie. a verb in continuous form pointing towards a notion from the past.
- After the comma there is the verb Hoped...
- Last part of the sentence says the result of the increase has led to some people changing their Opinion .

Now Since there is no action in the past to which "had Hoped" might logically point to , we can easily eliminate Options - D & B

Now Option C uses wrong construct altogether (cases had been rising) and the meaning of the sentence is also goofed up. - Eliminate C and Move to Step II

Step II - Meaning

We are left with following two options -

Lets Zoom in the question to understand a bit more in details -

Part 1-Expecting the disease outbreak to be under control by May Day, many organizations hoped -
Now the question is do we need a verb before hoped ? I would say yes, so that we can put in place a clear timeline and Were (past tense) comes to our rescue in option E.

Part 2- but as cases rose[/u] in dozens of states, some have scuttled those plans. - This is concluding the discussion. Early many organisations were expecting the disease outbreak to be under control by may , but as the cases Rose - Some of these organisations have scuttled those plans.

Now we are left to decide between as cases rose Vs as cases have risen - I will chose cases have risen since it brings out the meaning clearly. The fact that the cases have risen has led to a few organisation change their plan.

Tough Question - looking forward to OA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos

Pre-thinking: This is a tough question. Had to guess my way out of this one.
Order of Past Events - While arranging two events from the past, the event which occurred 1st takes Past perfect and the 2nd event takes Simple past. 'had hoped' (Past perfect) and 'rose' (Simple past). This narrows Options to B or D.

Should be 'cases rising in dozens of states' instead of 'rising cases in dozens of states'

C) hoped for operations restarting next month, but as cases had been rising

'were hoping for restarting' is not the best structure.

Awaiting OA. IMO answer should be Option D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GRE 1: Q169 V160
GPA: 2.83
Send PM
Kudos
the event is time relative to the cases as he had hoped before the cases started rising. 'Had' should be used
'as cases rose' is a 100 times better than 'with' as it represents the reason

D is the correct answer
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [1]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Kudos

A) hoped to restart operations next month, but as cases rose -> hoped is incorrect. As, I see, there are two actions, it was hoped first and later nos. of cases rose. Incorrect.

B) had hoped to restart operations next month, but with rising cases -> rising cases doesn't make sense. Incorrect.

C) hoped for operations restarting next month, but as cases had been rising -> cases were rising in close Past and hoped was in a distant past. Incorrect.

D) had hoped to restart operations next month, but as cases rose- > I think, the use of "had" is better in this cases, We have two actions, the later one is used in simple past. Let's keep it.

E) were hoping for restarting operations next month, but as cases have risen -> were hoping doesn't convey the meaning. Incorrect.

So, I think D. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 550 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM

A) hoped to restart operations next month, but as cases rose - Series of events in the past and one occurred after another in succession. Simple past usage is incorrect.

B) had hoped to restart operations next month, but with rising cases - Incorrect usage of past perfect tense. Incorrect

C) hoped for operations restarting next month, but as cases had been rising -'had been rising'is incorrect usage here.

D) had hoped to restart operations next month, but as cases rose - correct verb tense used. correct.

E) were hoping for restarting operations next month, but as cases have risen - incorrect

IMO D

Posted from my mobile device
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts