Last visit was: 17 May 2024, 19:20 It is currently 17 May 2024, 19:20
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you so much!

I understand the whole why mba and what are you goals essay is critical. I believe my answer is a good one, because it's true, it has a nice fit into my profile, and it isn't the cookie cutter type answer.

The extra curricular stuff is very confusing to me. I would think it would be a nice strength but some admissions people have REALLY downplayed its importance to me. One even went so far as to say that they do not consider the extra curricular essay when deciding on admissions. Do you have any insight into this?

Thanks again for the reply!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
typicalgmatter wrote:
Thank you so much!

I understand the whole why mba and what are you goals essay is critical. I believe my answer is a good one, because it's true, it has a nice fit into my profile, and it isn't the cookie cutter type answer.

The extra curricular stuff is very confusing to me. I would think it would be a nice strength but some admissions people have REALLY downplayed its importance to me. One even went so far as to say that they do not consider the extra curricular essay when deciding on admissions. Do you have any insight into this?

Thanks again for the reply!

Extracurricular is less important than work experience (leadership, impact) and GMAT, but as evidence of "passion," team skills, and social vision it's important. At top schools, if you are weak in this area you will have a negative that many of your competitors will not have. Lower-ranked schools may be less interested in it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the reply. I guess all I can do is try to frame my extracurricular activities the best that I can and hope the adcoms take an interest.

I scored a 650 on my GMAT retake. How much does this improve my chances with schools like UNC, UVA, and UT? Would you suggest that I take it again?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the reply. I guess all I can do is try to frame my extracurricular activities the best that I can and hope the adcoms take an interest.

I scored a 650 on my GMAT retake. How much does this improve my chances with schools like UNC, UVA, and UT? Would you suggest that I take it again?

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
typicalgmatter wrote:

Thanks!

No, you don't need to retake it. Your odds are probably pretty good as is. As I mentioned your Hispanic background is a major asset. Your 650 is fine. As for the extracurricular, if you founded a non-profit you should be fine there as well.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paul,
I really appreciate your help and advice. Best wishes in the new year!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
typicalgmatter wrote:
Paul,
I really appreciate your help and advice. Best wishes in the new year!

You're welcome.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Not sure if you application process is complete but you might want to look into the Consortium (cgsm.org) .. It is for candidates of native american, african american and hispanic descent looking to pursue an MBA. Some of the schools you are considering are on their list. The advantage is that you can apply to upto 6 schools through their single application and can possible be elected for a fellowship depending on your work experience and community leadership and such.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
ATLiens073 wrote:
Not sure if you application process is complete but you might want to look into the Consortium (cgsm.org) .. It is for candidates of native american, african american and hispanic descent looking to pursue an MBA. Some of the schools you are considering are on their list. The advantage is that you can apply to upto 6 schools through their single application and can possible be elected for a fellowship depending on your work experience and community leadership and such.

This is good advice.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the advice. I did apply through The Consortium. I completed all of the applications, the Consortium specific interview, and the school specific interviews. I am moderately happy with how my essays and interviews went because I believe I had a very tight game plan and was not shaky on any point (why MBA, post MBA career...). If I could do it all over again I would have started earlier and worked smarter. For example I would have interviewed at a couple of schools that I had little to no interest in to get some practice in. My first interview was so-so, but my last few interviews were pretty good. I also would have liked to flush out my essays a bit more.

I also applied to 5 schools outside of The Consortium. Most of them are for safety sake, but I am very interested in a couple of them.

The waiting game is not fun!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
typicalgmatter wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I did apply through The Consortium. I completed all of the applications, the Consortium specific interview, and the school specific interviews. I am moderately happy with how my essays and interviews went because I believe I had a very tight game plan and was not shaky on any point (why MBA, post MBA career...). If I could do it all over again I would have started earlier and worked smarter. For example I would have interviewed at a couple of schools that I had little to no interest in to get some practice in. My first interview was so-so, but my last few interviews were pretty good. I also would have liked to flush out my essays a bit more.

I also applied to 5 schools outside of The Consortium. Most of them are for safety sake, but I am very interested in a couple of them.

The waiting game is not fun!

Good luck to you.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]