Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Modifiersx   Pronounsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 178
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Schools: HEC MiM "24
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Manoj1998 wrote:
GMATNinja I got that there is an ellipsis issue over her, but it felt like the sentence perfectly fine as is. (can u tell me where I flunked). Also, Is the option "C" correct just because it is much clearer or usage of those of.. is must

The nice thing about doing practice questions is that you can't flunk! When you answer a question incorrectly you have an opportunity to do some analysis, see where you went wrong, and possibly learning something new. There's often more value in this than in simply getting the question right. So let's extract some value! :)

The problem with the initial sentence is that it makes an illogical comparison. Take another look at (A):

Quote:
The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested

As is, the sentence seems to be suggesting that the elephant seal's eyes adjust more quickly than any other animal adjusts. That doesn't make sense. We want to compare eyes to eyes or animals to animals.

Don't fall into the trap of playing the ellipsis game and asking yourself whether the writer left out the words that would convey a more logical meaning. The GMAT can't ask us to be mind-readers. Instead, read the sentence literally and determine whether it makes sense in its current form. If it doesn't, get rid of it. If you're not sure, hang on to it.

Contrast the above with (C):
Quote:
The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested

Now it's clear that the eyes of the elephant seal are being compared to those [eyes] of any other animal. This is logical and unambiguous. Even if you weren't sure about whether the construction in (A) was acceptable, you should realize that 1) a literal interpretation resulted in a problematic meaning and 2) you had to do work to create a logical sentence.

If you have a choice between one option that requires work to create a sensible meaning and another that is simple and clear on its own, simple and clear wins every time, so (C) it is.

I hope that clears things up!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any [#permalink]
MartyTargetTestPrep GMATNinja AjiteshArun

Within this question, answer choice C is definitely the best answer choice, but the explanation provided within the OG20 book doesn't seem consistent with that of another question. It says (for this question) the "it" correctly agrees with it's antecedent "elephant seal" (even though it's in a prepositional phrase and is the object of that preposition). However, for another question (https://gmatclub.com/forum/fossils-of-t ... 77781.html), within answer choice A, the OG explanation states that it" cannot refer to "Sloth" because "sloth" is the object of a preposition and not the subject of the sentence.

What's the best way to tackle situations like this?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Ashutosh94,
Thank you for the PM. :-)

In the correct answer Choice C, the use of the comma + verb-ing modifier "allowing..." is correct as it presents the result of the modified action "adapt to darkness more quickly...". Because the eyes of the elephant seal can adapt to darkness very quickly, they (eyes) allow the elephant seal to hunt efficiently under gloomy conditions. Because the eyes have this feature, they make this animal very efficient at hunting in gloomy situations. So, it is indeed the eyes that allow this seal to do something because the eyes possess this characteristic.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
samgyupsal wrote:

Within this question, answer choice C is definitely the best answer choice, but the explanation provided within the OG20 book doesn't seem consistent with that of another question. It says (for this question) the "it" correctly agrees with it's antecedent "elephant seal" (even though it's in a prepositional phrase and is the object of that preposition). However, for another question (https://gmatclub.com/forum/fossils-of-t ... 77781.html), within answer choice A, the OG explanation states that it" cannot refer to "Sloth" because "sloth" is the object of a preposition and not the subject of the sentence.

Hello samgyupsal,

You ask a good question. :-)

A pronoun in a sentence MUST have just one LOGICAL antecedent. This antecedent can be positioned anywhere in the sentence. As long as the pronoun refers to its logical antecedent clearly, we need not worry about the placement of the antecedent in the sentence. So, the takeaway here is that the pronoun reference must be logical and clear. This reference is not affected by the placement of the antecedent.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
samgyupsal wrote:

Hi samgyupsal,

I've gone through that OG explanation, and I can't say that I agree with it. There are situations where we can say that a pronoun cannot (reasonably) refer to a noun inside a prepositional phrase, but this looks more like a case of ambiguity ("fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico... made it...") than anything else. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is impossible for that it to refer to sloth. The best way to remove option A is to take a meaning call: exactly how did the fossils make that sloth the earliest known mammal on the Greater Antilles islands?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 4
Send PM
LXVE wrote:
I agree C is the correct and best answer, but isn't the "it" in allowing "it" somewhat ambiguous? It's still the best choice by far, but it seems like "it" could also refer to any other animal? A lot of the new OG 2017 SC questions have some pretty weird stuff going on.

I have same doubt. In option "C", "it" is referring to what?
GMATExperts please advise.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Veenu21 wrote:
I have same doubt. In option "C", "it" is referring to what?

Agreed Veenu21. While it is obviously intended to refer to elephant seal, it is technically an ambiguous pronoun here, since it can also refer to darkness and any other animal.

However, please note that pronoun ambiguity should not be a reason to eliminate an answer choice.

More importantly, all choices (except B and D, which anyway use the incorrect pronoun them) use the pronoun it and hence, it is a non-issue here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja AjiteshArun egmat

What does yet tested mean? Does it mean already tested?

I sometimes use yet instead of but, but using "but" does not make sense in this context.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TorGmatGod wrote:
Hi GMATNinja AjiteshArun egmat

What does yet tested mean? Does it mean already tested?

I sometimes use yet instead of but, but using "but" does not make sense in this context.

Hi TorGmatGod,

That is correct. Yet in this context is like ~ "till now".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
I have been banging my head against the wall for comparisons for quite some time now, still super confused. Can you please help me?

(B) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, allowing them

I think adding a verb with other animals yet tested will make it parallel and logical,

The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than (eyes of) any other animal yet tested (adapts), allowing them
The reason why removing 'does' wont be ambiguous as the other version is pure garbage:
The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly (The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to) than any other animal yet tested, allowing them

Looking from this perspective, this comparison should make sense. What am I missing?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Experts,

ExpertsGlobal5 GMATNinjaTwo AjiteshArun generis KarishmaB
I have been banging my head against the wall for comparisons for quite some time now, still super confused. Can you please help me?

(B) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, allowing them

I think adding a verb with other animals yet tested will make it parallel and logical,

The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than (eyes of) any other animal yet tested (adapts), allowing them
The reason why removing 'does' wont be ambiguous as the other version is pure garbage:
The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly (The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to) than any other animal yet tested, allowing them

Looking from this perspective, this comparison should make sense. What am I missing?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vshr wrote:
Hello Experts,

The key thing here is that as written, (B) clearly expresses an illogical comparison between "the eyes of the elephant seal" and "any other animal."

When a sentence clearly and effectively expresses an illogical comparison of two nouns, we can't call it correct by understanding it to convey something other than what it conveys.

So, in this case, we can understand "adapts" to appear in the second part of the comparison, but we can't understand the sentence to compare "the eyes of the elephant seal" with "(the eyes of) any other animal."
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64936 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vshr wrote:
Hello Experts,

The point is that we must compare things that make sense. The action is being performed by the eyes.

Simplify the sentence:
The eyes of the elephant seal are better than any other animal.
What does it convey? That the eyes of an animal are better than any other animal. What we want to say is that the eyes of an animal are better than the eyes of any other animal.

Hence, we do need to write:
The eyes of the elephant seal are better than those of any other animal.

We cannot assume that obviously we must be comparing their eyes. For example, when we say "She like pizza more than Peter," does it necessarily mean that she likes pizza more than Peter likes pizza? No. What if we want to say that she likes the food pizza more than she likes her friend Peter?

Coming back to our sentence, if we change it to,
The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than those of any other animal.
Here we are comparing actions so we do understand that we comparing how quickly eyes of seals adapt to how quickly eyes of other animals adapt. I wouldn't eliminate this sentence but to clarify the action, we could write it with 'do'- the substitute for the action in the second part.

The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal.

Now it is perfect and is available as option (C). It all depends on the available options - which one is to the point and best.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vshr wrote:
Hello Experts,

Hello vshr,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, in comparisons repeated verbs can be omitted for the sake of conciseness, but pronouns and nouns cannot.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
vshr wrote:
Hello Experts,

Hello vshr,

To answer your query, in comparisons repeated verbs can be omitted for the sake of conciseness, but pronouns and nouns cannot.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Thanks ExpertsGlobal5,
Using the above mentioned concept, if I solve this OG questions,
Most of the country’s biggest daily newspapers had lower circulation in the six months from October 1995 through March 1996 than a similar period a year earlier.
(A) a similar period
(B) a similar period’s
(C) in a similar period
(D) that in a similar period
(E) that of a similar period

The correct answer C is omitting, 'circulation in'. Am I missing something in interpreting the rule you mentioned? :)
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
vshr wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
vshr wrote:
Hello Experts,

Hello vshr,

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Thanks ExpertsGlobal5,
Using the above mentioned concept, if I solve this OG questions,
Most of the country’s biggest daily newspapers had lower circulation in the six months from October 1995 through March 1996 than a similar period a year earlier.
(A) a similar period
(B) a similar period’s
(C) in a similar period
(D) that in a similar period
(E) that of a similar period

The correct answer C is omitting, 'circulation in'. Am I missing something in interpreting the rule you mentioned? :)

Hello vshr,

To answer your query, your reasoning is not exactly correct.

You will note that Option C does not actually omit "in"; it reads "in a similar period".

Further, "circulation" is a noun, so as we explained, it cannot be omitted in a comparison.

What the sentence formed by Option C actually does is draw a comparison between the prepositional phrases "in the six months from October 1995 through March 1996" and "in a similar time period a year earlier".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Can you eliminate E because of a comma splice ? ( tested, it allows them to hunt efficiently under the gloomy conditions at its feeding depth ....)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts