Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 01:32 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 01:32
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Level,   Comparisons,   Modifiers,   Pronouns,                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39446 [269]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42146 [46]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [21]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4694 [9]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
AbdurRakib wrote:
The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, thus allowing it to hunt efficiently under the gloomy conditions at its feeding depths of between 300 and 700 meters.

(A) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, thus allowing it

(B) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, allowing them

(C) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it

(D) Because they adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, the eyes of the elephant seal allow it

(E) Because the eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, it allows them

Concepts tested here: Comparison + Pronouns + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• The introduction of the present participle ("verb+ing"- “allowing” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.
• A comparison must always be made between similar things.

A: This answer choice incorrectly compares "The eyes of the elephant seal" to "any other animal"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things. Further, Option A uses the redundant phrase "thus allowing it", leading to awkwardness; this usage is redundant, as both "thus" and the "comma + present participle ("verb+ing" - "allowing" in this sentence)" construction convey a cause-effect relationship; remember, the introduction of the present participle ("verb+ing"- “allowing” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "the elephant seal" with the plural pronoun "them". Further, Option B incorrectly compares "The eyes of the elephant seal" to "any other animal"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things.

C: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the singular noun "the elephant seal" with the singular pronoun "it". Further, Option C correctly compares "The eyes of the elephant seal" to "those of any other animal". Additionally, Option C is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

D: This answer choice incorrectly compares "they - (the eyes of the elephant seal)" to "any other animal"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things.

E: This answer choice suffers from a pronoun error, as the pronoun "it" lacks a clear referent. Further, Option E incorrectly refers to the singular noun "the elephant seal" with the plural pronoun "them".

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Comma + Present Participles for Cause-Effect Relationships" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~3 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4770 [14]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any [#permalink]
Kudos
AbdurRakib wrote:
The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, thus allowing it to hunt efficiently under the gloomy conditions at its feeding depths of between 300 and 700 meters.

A) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, thus allowing it
B) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, allowing them
C) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it
D) Because they adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, the eyes of the elephant seal allow it
E) Because the eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, it allows them

OG 2017 New Question

Comparison issue....

The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it to hunt efficiently under the gloomy conditions at its feeding depths of between 300 and 700 meters.

The green part here -

CLAUSE + COMMA + VERB ING MODIFIER

can have 2 roles to play -

1. Presenting additional informations about the preceding clause.
2. Presents results of preceding clause..

Here results of adaptation ( hunting efficiently under the gloomy conditions ) is the result of the adaptation of the eyes..

Hence IMHO (C)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [8]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.4
Send PM
Kudos
I agree C is the correct and best answer, but isn't the "it" in allowing "it" somewhat ambiguous? It's still the best choice by far, but it seems like "it" could also refer to any other animal? A lot of the new OG 2017 SC questions have some pretty weird stuff going on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Uh, I don't understand this. I was down to (C) and (E) as they're the only options that have a parallel comparison, and I eliminated (C) because:

"The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it to hunt efficiently.."

Here, doesn't "it" seem to refer to "the eyes of the elephant"?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [3]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
AnishG wrote:
Uh, I don't understand this. I was down to (C) and (E) as they're the only options that have a parallel comparison, and I eliminated (C) because:

"The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it to hunt efficiently.."

'it' is singular so cannot refer to eyes which is plural. However I felt the it here was still ambiguous because it could refer to elephant seal or any other animal

Pronoun ambig is a last resort though, as proper grammar takes precedence

Sent from my SM-G928T using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GRE 1: Q168 V155
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Kudos
AnishG wrote:

In answer choice E "it" refers to the preceding action! pronouns cannot refer to actions.
" it" in answer choice E clearly refers to Elephant :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
"The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it to hunt efficiently."

Logic is the cornerstone of SC, especially pronoun reference. “It” in this context will not refer to any other animal because there are over one million animal species on the earth. Which one shall we take? - The point here is that if we take ‘it’ to refer to the eyes, then we end up meaning that the Seal’s adaptation allows the eyes to hunt efficiently, which is illogical. For all that, we know that the eyes do not hunt but the animal does. Hence, “it” decisively refers to the Seal.

But wouldn't that make almost every pronoun correct? When do I know if "logical" pronoun works and doesn't? The "seal" never appeared as a subject or an object in this sentence. For example:

The legacy of Obama is X and he is my best friend

I always thought "he" in this case CANNOT refer to Obama and will leave this pronoun without proper antecedent.

Please help.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42146 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos