GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 22:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

     November 17, 2018

     November 17, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     11:00 AM PST

    Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
User avatar
B
Status: I don't stop when I'm Tired,I stop when I'm done
Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 537
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 10:55
6
51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (01:22) correct 23% (01:30) wrong based on 2738 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, thus allowing it to hunt efficiently under the gloomy conditions at its feeding depths of between 300 and 700 meters.

(A) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, thus allowing it

(B) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, allowing them

(C) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it

(D) Because they adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, the eyes of the elephant seal allow it

(E) Because the eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, it allows them

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg16321974-200-deep-diving-seals-are-quick-change-champions/

IN BRIEF 31 July 1999
Deep-diving seals are quick-change champions

THE eyes of elephant seals adapt to darkness more quickly than those of any other animal tested, allowing them to hunt in the gloomy depths.

David Levenson and Ronald Schusterman of the University of California at Santa Cruz put a trained elephant seal into a light-proof box. By touching a ball to receive a fish reward, their subject could indicate whether it could see a series of dim flashes of light. The animal’s eyes reached maximum sensitivity within 6 minutes—the same time it takes the seals to reach their feeding depth of between 300 and 700 metres.

As the researchers will report in a forthcoming issue of Marine Mammal Science, the eyes of a shallow-diving harbour seal or a human took roughly 20 minutes to adjust to the darkness.


Elephant Seal

(A) Comparison (X more than Y);

(B) Comparison (X more than Y); Pronoun (them)

(C) CORRECT

(D) Comparison (X more than Y);

(E) Pronoun (it; them)


First glance

The opening split is between “The eyes” and “Because.” There isn’t a great clue here, though because does indicate some kind of cause-effect relationship, so check whether this meaning is appropriate for the sentence.

Issues

(1) Comparison: X more than Y

The words more than are a comparison marker; check the X and Y elements to ensure that they follow comparison rules.

The original sentence compares the eyes of the elephant seal to any other animal yet tested. It’s not appropriate to compare one animal’s eyes to another entire animal. Compare eyes to eyes or whole animals to whole animals. Scan the other choices to see whether any repeat this error. Note that in (D), the pronoun they refers to eyes. Eliminate answers (A), (B), and (D) for a bad comparison.

(2) Pronoun: them; it

The end of each answer switches between it and them. Which is correct?

In the original sentence, it properly refers to the elephant seal; the reference is logical and the two match in number (singular). Answers (C) and (D) also use this form.

Answers (B) and (E) switch to them. The plural them cannot refer to the singular elephant seal. Them could possibly refer to the plural eyes, but eyes don’t hunt efficiently; animals do. Eliminate (B) and (E).

Note that (E) has a second pronoun error: it allows them. What allows the elephant seal to hunt efficiently? The fact that its eyes adapt to darkness very quickly. A pronoun cannot refer to something that isn’t explicitly written in the sentence; there is no noun phrase in the sentence similar to the fact that… for the pronoun they to refer to. Adapt is a verb; a pronoun cannot refer to a verb.

The Correct Answer

Correct answer (C) compares the eyes of the elephant seal to those (the eyes) of any other animal yet tested. This choice also properly uses the singular pronoun it to refer to the singular noun elephant seal.

_________________

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4508
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2016, 10:22
5
Top Contributor
2
"The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it to hunt efficiently."

Logic is the cornerstone of SC, especially pronoun reference. “It” in this context will not refer to any other animal because there are over one million animal species on the earth. Which one shall we take? - The point here is that if we take ‘it’ to refer to the eyes, then we end up meaning that the Seal’s adaptation allows the eyes to hunt efficiently, which is illogical. For all that, we know that the eyes do not hunt but the animal does. Hence, “it” decisively refers to the Seal.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Posts: 796
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Premium Member
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 01:45
4
3
AbdurRakib wrote:
The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, thus allowing it to hunt efficiently under the gloomy conditions at its feeding depths of between 300 and 700 meters.


A) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, thus allowing it
B) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, allowing them
C) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it
D) Because they adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, the eyes of the elephant seal allow it
E) Because the eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, it allows them


OG 2017 New Question



In answer choices a,b, and d eyes of the elephant seal is incorrectly compared to any other animal.
e is out because of usage of them(plural) is incorrectly referring to elephant seal (singular)
c is the answer as it is correctly comparing the eyes with those of any other animal.
General Discussion
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 4212
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 10:45
5
AbdurRakib wrote:
The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, thus allowing it to hunt efficiently under the gloomy conditions at its feeding depths of between 300 and 700 meters.


A) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, thus allowing it
B) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, allowing them
C) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it
D) Because they adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, the eyes of the elephant seal allow it
E) Because the eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, it allows them


OG 2017 New Question


Comparison issue....

The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it to hunt efficiently under the gloomy conditions at its feeding depths of between 300 and 700 meters.

The green part here -

CLAUSE + COMMA + VERB ING MODIFIER


can have 2 roles to play -

1. Presenting additional informations about the preceding clause.
2. Presents results of preceding clause..

Here results of adaptation ( hunting efficiently under the gloomy conditions ) is the result of the adaptation of the eyes..

Hence IMHO (C)

_________________

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2016
Posts: 40
Schools: Sloan '19 (II)
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 12:32
2
I agree C is the correct and best answer, but isn't the "it" in allowing "it" somewhat ambiguous? It's still the best choice by far, but it seems like "it" could also refer to any other animal? A lot of the new OG 2017 SC questions have some pretty weird stuff going on.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 21
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 09:22
Uh, I don't understand this. I was down to (C) and (E) as they're the only options that have a parallel comparison, and I eliminated (C) because:

"The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it to hunt efficiently.."

Here, doesn't "it" seem to refer to "the eyes of the elephant"?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2016
Posts: 40
Schools: Sloan '19 (II)
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 14:47
AnishG wrote:
Uh, I don't understand this. I was down to (C) and (E) as they're the only options that have a parallel comparison, and I eliminated (C) because:

"The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it to hunt efficiently.."

Here, doesn't "it" seem to refer to "the eyes of the elephant"?

'it' is singular so cannot refer to eyes which is plural. However I felt the it here was still ambiguous because it could refer to elephant seal or any other animal

Pronoun ambig is a last resort though, as proper grammar takes precedence


Sent from my SM-G928T using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 09 May 2015
Posts: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V30
GRE 1: Q168 V155
GPA: 3.58
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2016, 08:28
AnishG wrote:
Uh, I don't understand this. I was down to (C) and (E) as they're the only options that have a parallel comparison, and I eliminated (C) because:

"The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it to hunt efficiently.."

Here, doesn't "it" seem to refer to "the eyes of the elephant"?



In answer choice E "it" refers to the preceding action! pronouns cannot refer to actions.
" it" in answer choice E clearly refers to Elephant :D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2013
Posts: 70
Location: United States (HI)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 02:35
daagh wrote:
"The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it to hunt efficiently."

Logic is the cornerstone of SC, especially pronoun reference. “It” in this context will not refer to any other animal because there are over one million animal species on the earth. Which one shall we take? - The point here is that if we take ‘it’ to refer to the eyes, then we end up meaning that the Seal’s adaptation allows the eyes to hunt efficiently, which is illogical. For all that, we know that the eyes do not hunt but the animal does. Hence, “it” decisively refers to the Seal.



But wouldn't that make almost every pronoun correct? When do I know if "logical" pronoun works and doesn't? The "seal" never appeared as a subject or an object in this sentence. For example:

The legacy of Obama is X and he is my best friend

I always thought "he" in this case CANNOT refer to Obama and will leave this pronoun without proper antecedent.

Please help.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4508
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 13:41
1
Top Contributor
Quote:
Tae808 wrote

But wouldn't that make almost every pronoun correct? When do I know if "logical" pronoun works and doesn't? The "seal" never appeared as a subject or an object in this sentence. For example:

The legacy of Obama is X and he is my best friend

I always thought "he" in this case CANNOT refer to Obama and will leave this pronoun without proper antecedent.

Please help.


Ok. We will try to use some other noun than Obama to refer to he and see how it works out.

The legacy of Obama is X and (he) Putin is my best friend. What is the point in this sentence? Does this sentence give a complete sense? Unless you indicate who that he is, the sentence remains infructious. On the contrary, if ‘he’ is seen to refer to Obama, then the semblance of disconnect and discreteness disappears in the context.

In that same fashion, try to ascribe the pronoun ‘it’ to any other animal, say a lion, and see what is the connect between the eyes of the Seal and a lion hunting efficiently. After all, there is a law of proximity in the antecedence of a pronoun and the nearest noun, even it be an object, can be referred to by the pronoun. Here it may be noted the elephant seal is the object of the preposition ‘of’

Basically, a pronoun stands for a noun already extant in the clause as the name defines, and therefore, there can never be a stand-alone pronoun in formal writing.

Finally, will you say that Tom had a pint of beer to quench his (Dick’s) thirst? Why would the seal adapt swiftly to darkness to make some other animal hunt efficiently?
Pl. ponder
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2013
Posts: 70
Location: United States (HI)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2016, 06:58
daagh wrote:
Quote:
Tae808 wrote

But wouldn't that make almost every pronoun correct? When do I know if "logical" pronoun works and doesn't? The "seal" never appeared as a subject or an object in this sentence. For example:

The legacy of Obama is X and he is my best friend

I always thought "he" in this case CANNOT refer to Obama and will leave this pronoun without proper antecedent.

Please help.


Ok. We will try to use some other noun than Obama to refer to he and see how it works out.

The legacy of Obama is X and (he) Putin is my best friend. What is the point in this sentence? Does this sentence give a complete sense? Unless you indicate who that he is, the sentence remains infructious. On the contrary, if ‘he’ is seen to refer to Obama, then the semblance of disconnect and discreteness disappears in the context.

In that same fashion, try to ascribe the pronoun ‘it’ to any other animal, say a lion, and see what is the connect between the eyes of the Seal and a lion hunting efficiently. After all, there is a law of proximity in the antecedence of a pronoun and the nearest noun, even it be an object, can be referred to by the pronoun. Here it may be noted the elephant seal is the object of the preposition ‘of’

Basically, a pronoun stands for a noun already extant in the clause as the name defines, and therefore, there can never be a stand-alone pronoun in formal writing.

Finally, will you say that Tom had a pint of beer to quench his (Dick’s) thirst? Why would the seal adapt swiftly to darkness to make some other animal hunt efficiently?
Pl. ponder


Thank you!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 May 2016
Posts: 14
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2016, 02:04
AbdurRakib wrote:
The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, thus allowing it to hunt efficiently under the gloomy conditions at its feeding depths of between 300 and 700 meters.


A) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, thus allowing it
B) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, allowing them
C) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it
D) Because they adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, the eyes of the elephant seal allow it
E) Because the eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, it allows them


OG 2017 New Question


If we have comma +ing then it should make sense with the subject of the sentence.
eyes allow it (seals) to hunt efficiently.....Am I right?

#e-gmat #daagh
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 2114
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 11:52
1
The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, thus allowing it to hunt efficiently under the gloomy conditions at its feeding depths of between 300 and 700 meters.


A) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, thus allowing it
B) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, allowing them
C) The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, allowing it
D) Because they adapt to darkness more quickly than any other animal yet tested, the eyes of the elephant seal allow it
E) Because the eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than do those of any other animal yet tested, it allows them

A, B and D - Illogical comparison - the eyes of the elephant seal compared to any other animal.
E- Pronoun issue - them can't refer to singular the elephant seal . Also the pronoun "it" - is trying to refer to the eyes .

Answer c
_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 20 Oct 2016
Posts: 78
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 18:08
If we compare options, we can see ‘more than’. We have comparison here. In option A, ‘the eyes of the elephant’ are compared to ‘any other animal’. Wrong comparison. Eliminate
In option B, ‘the eyes of the elephant’ are compared to ‘any other animal’. Wrong comparison. Eliminate
In option D, ‘they’ refers to ‘the eyes’. Again ‘the eyes of the elephant’ are compared to ‘any other animal’. Wrong comparison. Eliminate
In E, comparison is correct but towards the end of the option, ‘it’ refers to ‘the eyes’ . Singular pronoun cannot refer to plural noun. Eliminate.

Option C is correct.
_________________

Founder, GMAT Mantra
One to One Live Online GMAT Coaching
8860616050
http://www.gmatmantra.com

Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 906
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 20:30
choice C, the OA, tell us that

comma+doing can be used to show a result of main clause.
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1085
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 22:15
Imo C
The comparison should be between eyes .
So A B D are out
Only C and E remain
Them is ambiguous in E

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Aug 2017
Posts: 11
Schools: HBS '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 550 Q34 V31
GMAT 2: 560 Q36 V31
GMAT 3: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 4: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.7
Reviews Badge
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2017, 13:26
I'm still not understanding answer choice C. A pronoun can't refer to a noun in a prepositional phrase. Is answer choice C an exception to this rule? "It" is referring to "the elephant seal", but how is this acceptable?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Aiming MBA!!
Joined: 19 Aug 2017
Posts: 114
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 03:22
Sentence Analysis
The sentence says that the eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than the eyes of any other animal. The sentence then presents a result of this fact using a verb-ing modifier.

There is one error in the sentence: it compares ‘the eyes of the elephant seal’ with ‘any other animal’, essentially comparing eyes with an animal.

Option Analysis
(A) Incorrect. For the error mentioned above.

(B) Incorrect. Same comparison error as in the original sentence. In this option, ‘them’ is replaced with ‘it’, this changes the intended meaning.

(C) Correct. This option corrects the only error in the original sentence.

(D) Incorrect. Same comparison error as in the original sentence.

(E) Incorrect. ‘it’ does not have an antecedent; logically, ‘it’ cannot refer to ‘elephant seal’ since elephant seal doesn’t allow the eyes to hunt efficiently.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Nov 2017
Posts: 19
Location: India
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.16
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 01:50
In the OA (c), the Ving modifier "allowing it......300 and 700 meters." must make sense with the subject of the preceding clause which is "eyes". However, "it"does not agree with the subject of the preceding clause "eyes". Please explain??
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3614
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 02:44
1
gmatacer40 wrote:
In the OA (c), the Ving modifier "allowing it......300 and 700 meters." must make sense with the subject of the preceding clause which is "eyes". However, "it"does not agree with the subject of the preceding clause "eyes". Please explain??


Hey gmatacer40 ,

I think you aren't much clear on ", verb + ing" rule tested on GMAT. :)

The rule says "verb + ing" after comma should either describe the previous clause (NOT SUBJECT) or should show the result of the previous clause.

In the question given, we are saying the results of adeptness of eyes is allowing to do something.

Does that make sense?
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any &nbs [#permalink] 12 Apr 2018, 02:44

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 30 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The eyes of the elephant seal adapt to darkness more quickly than any

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.