Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 946 [86]
Given Kudos: 206
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 946 [13]
Given Kudos: 206
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [9]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [7]
Given Kudos: 469
Send PM
Re: All of the university’s faculty is appalled by the decision to hire as [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I understand FACULTY is Singular...but doesn't the word 'SOME' means more than 1 hence ARE should be used?

All of the university’s faculty is appalled by the decision to hire as university president the senator censured for influence peddling, but some are willing to extend for him a civil welcome.

A. are willing to extend for

B. is willing to extend to

C. are willing to extend to

D. is willing for extending to

E. are willing for extending for
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q43 V28
GPA: 3.52
WE:Operations (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: All of the university’s faculty is appalled by the decision to hire as [#permalink]
Kudos
C is the answer. 'Some' is Plural. Please update that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [5]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
All of the university’s faculty is appalled by the decision to hire as [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
adeolubakare87 wrote:
C is the answer. 'Some' is Plural. Please update that.

Dear,

It's NOT compulsory that SOME is always PLURAL....
1. Some of the money WAS stolen
2. Some of the documents WERE stolen.

Which of the above sentence is correct.....? BOTH ARE CORRECT

So, SOME could be SINGULAR or PLURAL, depending upon usage

Look at two sentences
ALL of the university's faculty IS appalled - Correct
&
SOME ARE willing - Incorrect since faculty is treated singular
or
SOME of the university's facult IS willing - CORRECT

So, options A,C,E are out.

Correct idiomatic usage is Willing TO EXTEND or EXTEND TO.

Hence Answer B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V18
GMAT 2: 610 Q49 V24
GMAT 3: 640 Q48 V29
Send PM
mihir0710 wrote:
All of the university’s faculty is appalled by the decision to hire as university president the senator censured for influence peddling, but some are willing to extend for him a civil welcome.

Some can be either Singular or Plural depending on the noun it refers to. In this context "some" is referring to "university’s faculty". The non-underline portion of the sentence "university’s faculty is" use "is" clearly gives us a clue that it should be considered singular. Hence the answer "B"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [5]
Given Kudos: 794
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
All of the university’s faculty is appalled by the decision to hire as [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
SANAM - Some, Any, None, All, More/Most can be singular or plural depending on the context of the sentence.
In this case, some refers back to the singular 'faculty'.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Bookmarks

Official Explanation

Split #1: SV Agreement. There is a subtle SVA issue here. If we are talking about the group of individuals, when do we use the singular verb for the group and when do we use the plural verb for the separate individuals? If whole group, more or less, is acting as a whole in some way, we emphasize the group and use the singular verb: for example, when we discuss what "most" are doing in the first half of the sentence, we use a singular verb. By contrast, if we are discussing how some members of the group are diverging from others and acting in individual ways, then we emphasize the individuals and use the plural verb. For the verb in the underlined section, the plural verb would be preferable. Choices (C) & (D) make a less than optimal choice in choosing the singular verb.

Split #2a: idiom with “willing”. The adjective “willing” take an infinitive: willing to do X. The structure “willing for doing X” is never correct. Choices (D) & (E) make this mistake.

Split #2b: idiom with “extend”. When we give someone a welcome, we say that we extend the welcome to him. Use of “for” in this context is never correct. Choices (A) & (C) & (E) make this mistake.

For all these reasons, (B) is the only possible answer.

FAQ: Can you talk a little more about when to use "is" and "are" for these collective nouns? I'm confused.

Sure! Dealing with agreement with collective nouns can be subtle, because you have to tap into the MEANING of the sentence to make the right call. Specifically,

if the sentence stresses the uniformity or 'togetherness' of the group, then use the singular;
if the sentence stresses individual actions (perhaps grouped together, but still regarded as clearly individual), then go with the plural.
If you are completely in doubt, err on the side of going for the singular option. This is not foolproof, but we find that most often—especially on the GMAT—the bias is toward the singular.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
mihir0710 wrote:

I am really finding it hard to accept how B fits. This question has "some" serious "issues".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [2]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
mihir0710 wrote:

GMATNinja:
Can you please shed some light on this.

I see that this is a case where 'some' can be interpreted as singular.
But, if I am reading this sentence with 'is' after 'some', something does not feel right.

Specially because when we say 'some', the concept of collective noun, in my mind gets broken. Now there are some people who are willing and others who aren't.

Also, I do realize there is ellipsis going on here. Does that make any difference? I can't digest 'is' with 'some' the way it's used here. I get that those two go together, but not here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Kudos
Classic case of testing for rules where it doesn't make any sense. Sorry but this is not a GMAT 700 level question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Send PM
navderm wrote:
mihir0710 wrote:

GMATNinja:
Can you please shed some light on this.

I see that this is a case where 'some' can be interpreted as singular.
But, if I am reading this sentence with 'is' after 'some', something does not feel right.

Specially because when we say 'some', the concept of collective noun, in my mind gets broken. Now there are some people who are willing and others who aren't.

Also, I do realize there is ellipsis going on here. Does that make any difference? I can't digest 'is' with 'some' the way it's used here. I get that those two go together, but not here.

Dear GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, egmat, carcass, @DimitryFarber, @sayantanc2k,@MagooshExpert,@ccooley and all other experts I would love for you to review this question as I find it hard to accept that the correct verb is "is". Maybe this is just a strange non-logical exception we have to accept, however that does not change that the logic seems flawed.

A faculty is a singular identiy. It is composed of many members but AS A WHOLE it is singular. HOWEVER, when we use "some" it logically means that we are splitting this singular entity (we do not use the entity "faculty" as a whole anymore) into the next smaller entity, which would be the individual members. Futhermore, some means that we are selecting more than one which means we have multiple members which should use the plural verb.

I realize that my logic most likely is flawed as Mike is an expert and normally I would not doubt him, but I woul appreciate if you could explain where my logic is flawed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: All of the universitys faculty is appalled by the decision to hire as [#permalink]
The word some, as with few and many typically takes a plural, also since there is a break in the faculty's decision with some accepting the senator instead of a unified action, shouldn't the plural are be used?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: All of the universitys faculty is appalled by the decision to hire as [#permalink]
Expert Reply
TamaraFernandes97 wrote:
The word some, as with few and many typically takes a plural, also since there is a break in the faculty's decision with some accepting the senator instead of a unified action, shouldn't the plural are be used?

Hello TamaraFernandes97,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, we agree with your reasoning here; the break in the decision suggests that "some" here is an indefinite pronoun rather than a reference to the noun "faculty"; thus, the plural "are" is more appropriate.

Option C is really the best choice.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
Send PM
All of the universitys faculty is appalled by the decision to hire as [#permalink]
This OA defies Standard English usage. With all due respect, the justification given my Mike is invalid. Here is why.

The word "some" can be used as a pronoun, a determiner, or an adverb.

For example:
I ran into some weirdo on the street. - determiner (used to refer to an unknown entity. For example, an unknown person)
I made some money, selling lemonade. - pronoun (used to refer to an uncertain amount)

In this question, we are using the word "some" as a standalone pronoun. Yes! Most, Any, None, All, and Some can take a signular or plural depending on the noun attached to these pronouns.

For example:
Some people are dishonest. (people demands the plural usage)
Some money is missing. (money demands the singular usage)

But if the word "some" as a standalone pronoun is used to specify an uncertain number of something from even a particular collective group, it should be used in the plural as it is "an uncertain number" and the uncertain number definitely isn't singular because if we want to refer to one, then we just have to use "a" or "an"

For example:
Most of the class was happy with the lecture. (in this sentence when we say the class is happy, logically it's not the physical classroom that's happy but rather the members of the class as a collective.)

So if we write,
Most of the class was happy with the lecture, but some were unconvinced.

We have to use the plural "were" because we are referring to some unspecified number of class members who were unconvinced.

In the OP, the university's faculty is the body of faculty members. So if we use a standalone pronoun "some", it would logically refer to the few members of the faculty who were willing to extend him a civil welcome.

P.S. Some is not a pronoun like he, she, it, they for which we use the singular plural noun pronoun matching rule.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I guess some here is talking about members of the faculty rather than faculty. IMO it should be C,
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts