Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
Re: Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine [#permalink]
AjiteshArun sir,

Please evaluate my reasoning and share your two cents:-

Option A:-
1. The part after comma "already are a cost to business" is in past tense. This costing part occured in the past. This cannot be in the present tense. Hence, the usage of "are"(present tense) is incorrect.
2. The usage of "are" and "cost" both plural is incorrect and redundant.

Option B:- This is the correct answer choice.

Option C:-
1. The portion of the sentence after second comma "already with business costs...". The meaning conveyed is that the business costs are the cost of compounding. However, the original sentence mentions that the business costs are the costs of drug and alcohol abuse.

Option D:-
1. The meaning conveyed in this option is that crack and cocaine is costing business more than 100 billion dollars a year. However, it is the drug and alcohol abuse that is costing billions of dollars.

Option E:- Same meaning as option D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine [#permalink]
misan wrote:
Would you please someone explain the reference of "which" in this question?
According to Manhattan SC book,page 91, I though "which" always refers to the noun immediately preceding it. So here "which" should refer to abuse.
Can someone tell me what I'm missing here?

"Which" here refers to the compound noun "the effects of drug and alcohol abuse"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
AjiteshArun sir,

Please evaluate my reasoning and share your two cents:-

Option A:-
1. The part after comma "already are a cost to business" is in past tense. This costing part occured in the past. This cannot be in the present tense. Hence, the usage of "are"(present tense) is incorrect.
2. The usage of "are" and "cost" both plural is incorrect and redundant.

Option B:- This is the correct answer choice.

Option C:-
1. The portion of the sentence after second comma "already with business costs...". The meaning conveyed is that the business costs are the cost of compounding. However, the original sentence mentions that the business costs are the costs of drug and alcohol abuse.

Option D:-
1. The meaning conveyed in this option is that crack and cocaine is costing business more than 100 billion dollars a year. However, it is the drug and alcohol abuse that is costing billions of dollars.

Option E:- Same meaning as option D.

Hi krndatta,

The present tense is fine in option A, because the sentence introduces something that's generally true ("which already are a cost to business of more than $100 billion a year"). Also, the cost that we see in option A is a singular noun ("a cost"). It's different from the cost that we see in the correct option, which is a plural verb. So one reason to take A out is that "which are a cost to business" is awkward, but the usage of the present tense is fine. Meaning clarity is also a problem, because we can't say whether the > $100 billion bit is for cost or business.

Options C and D are most likely unidiomatic ("already with..." and "business costs" in C and "significant in compounding" in D). Also, "is... costing" in option D is a major red flag, as we don't want to shift the verb cost into the progressive (this sentence isn't about a very short duration of time).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Dear Experts,

I know the answer is (B) and I am correct.

However, after doing more than 100 questions, I am still not clear the usage of COMMA + PREPOSITION PHRASE.

In (C), many comments told that it doesn't convey intended meaning. what "already with business costs..." modify ? and why does it change the meaning
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
Dear Experts,

However, after doing more than 100 questions, I am still not clear the usage of COMMA + PREPOSITION PHRASE.

In (C), many comments told that it doesn't convey intended meaning. what "already with business costs..." modify ? and why does it change the meaning

Don't overcomplicate it. A prepositional phrase can function as an adjective or an adverb, meaning it can modify a noun or a verb. If you see one, ask yourself if there's a noun or verb in the vicinity that could be logically modified. If there is, the prepositional phrase is fine. If there isn't, it's a problem. That's it.

In (C), there's nothing "already with business costs of" could logically modify. It's clearly not referring to "alcohol abuse... with business costs." (As opposed to alcohol abuse without such costs?)

And it doesn't make much sense to say something is "compounding with business costs."

A modifier with nothing to modify is a problem.

Contrast that with (B), in which it's crystal clear that the "which" is referring to "drug and alcohol abuse." There's no need to stress about how prepositional phrases function in the abstract -- (B) is clearer and more logical, so it's better.

The takeaway: anytime you're not sure about a rule, 1) there might not be one and 2) the rule you don't know can't help you during the test, so you'll want to pivot to thinking about logic and meaning.

I hope that clears things up!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
Dear Experts,

Hello Tanchat,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the problem in Option C is that the modifier "already with business costs..." cannot logically modify the noun that precedes the comma just before it; remember, in a “noun + comma + phrase” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun; this is one of the most frequently tested concepts on GMAT sentence correction.

To understand the concept of "Phrase Comma Subject" and "Subject Comma Phrase" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
GMATNinja KarishmaB

Sentence : Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of more than $100 billion a year.

To identify the noun for "cost", as is the universal test of ask what to the verb so
what cost(s) business more than $100 billion? The answer (according to me) is "the use of crack and cocaine. It seems bit odd that verb is referring to another verb and hence, the use of cost+ing seems correct usage.

Can you please correct me.

As per the post, effect of drug and alcohol abuse is the noun, but I am unable to understand why my analysis is incorrect. And how do I work on it.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64929 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Rickooreo wrote:
GMATNinja KarishmaB

Sentence : Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of more than $100 billion a year.

To identify the noun for "cost", as is the universal test of ask what to the verb so
what cost(s) business more than $100 billion? The answer (according to me) is "the use of crack and cocaine. It seems bit odd that verb is referring to another verb and hence, the use of cost+ing seems correct usage.

As per the post, effect of drug and alcohol abuse is the noun, but I am unable to understand why my analysis is incorrect. And how do I work on it.

I am not sure I understand your question.

'which' - relative pronoun stands for 'drug and alcohol abuse'
are - verb
a cost - noun (which is same as 'drug and alcohol abuse' (e.g. He is a teacher. 'He' and 'a teacher' indicate the same person))
to business - prepositional phrase
of more than $100 billion a year - a prepositional phrase which seems to be incorrectly modifying 'business'
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rickooreo wrote:
GMATNinja KarishmaB

Hello Rickooreo,

To provide a bit of clarity, "the use of X" is not a verb, rather it is a noun phrase that refers to the practice of using X.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
Rickooreo wrote:
GMATNinja KarishmaB

I am not sure I understand your question.

'which' - relative pronoun stands for 'drug and alcohol abuse'
are - verb
a cost - noun (which is same as 'drug and alcohol abuse' (e.g. He is a teacher. 'He' and 'a teacher' indicate the same person))
to business - prepositional phrase
of more than $100 billion a year - a prepositional phrase which seems to be incorrectly modifying 'business'

KarishmaB
To clarify, I thought that the "which" referred to "effects" because nouns in a prepositional phase cannot be the main noun referred to. So if my understanding is correct, wouldn't "which" refer to "effects" and not "drug and alcohol abuse"?

Thank you for all of your time and help. P.S. I am retaking my exam toward the end of November... the end is almost in sight, and I am hoping to do better :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
Send PM
GMATNinja, shouldn't the correct answer be which already cost businesses? business is singular. did not select for this reason
Send PM
Expert Reply
yalembagrad wrote:
GMATNinja, shouldn't the correct answer be which already cost businesses? business is singular. did not select for this reason

Hello yalembagrad,

To answer your query, the use of the plural verb "cost" is correct here, because the action of "costing" is carried out by the plural noun phrase "effects of drug and alcohol abuse".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
yalembagrad wrote:

You have to ask yourself, "WHAT costs business more than $100 billion a year?" In this case, the effects (of drug and alcohol abuse) are what cost business more than $100 billion a year. Since "effects" is a plural noun, we need a plural verb ("cost").

In other words, the "which..." part is a noun modifier that describes a plural noun ("effects"), so we need use a plural verb in the "which" clause.

(Also, note that "of drug and alcohol abuse" is a prepositional phrase that modifies "effects" -- and you can ignore that modifier when thinking about whether "effects" is singular or plural.)

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1614
Send PM
GMATNinja
AjiteshArun wrote:
Ryanh7788 wrote:
Hello all,

Can anyone explain why for answer B

Why the answer should not be be “business” plural that go with “cost” verb?

Instead of “business”

Thank you!

Hi Ryanh7788,

The which refers to effects (plural) here:

... the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already cost business... ← "the effects... cost"

Once we're okay with the fact that cost agrees with effects (and not with business), we can look at the word business. Business is not used here to refer to a specific company. Instead, it is used to refer to ~ "the business sector" as a whole. Here's another sentence that uses business as a noncount noun:

Facebook said that Apple's plan to incorporate stronger privacy measures will cost business billions of dollars.

Please help me clear these doubts:
1/What does which refer to in option choice-B? Does it refer to effects or drug and alcohol abuse?
2/ If the subject is drug and alcohol abuse, then drug and alcohol are adjectives for abuse. How is the verb plural then?

[quote="AjiteshArun"] [quote="GMATNinja"]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1614
Send PM
Experts, please help with this query

GMATNinja AjiteshArun

ankitapugalia wrote:
GMATNinja
AjiteshArun wrote:
Ryanh7788 wrote:
Hello all,

Can anyone explain why for answer B

Why the answer should not be be “business” plural that go with “cost” verb?

Instead of “business”

Thank you!

Hi Ryanh7788,

The which refers to effects (plural) here:

... the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already cost business... ← "the effects... cost"

Once we're okay with the fact that cost agrees with effects (and not with business), we can look at the word business. Business is not used here to refer to a specific company. Instead, it is used to refer to ~ "the business sector" as a whole. Here's another sentence that uses business as a noncount noun:

Facebook said that Apple's plan to incorporate stronger privacy measures will cost business billions of dollars.

Please help me clear these doubts:
1/What does which refer to in option choice-B? Does it refer to effects or drug and alcohol abuse?
2/ If the subject is drug and alcohol abuse, then drug and alcohol are adjectives for abuse. How is the verb plural then?

AjiteshArun wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
ankitapugalia wrote:
Experts, please help with this queryPlease help me clear these doubts:

Hi ankitapugalia,

Which refers to the entire noun phrase the effects of drug and alcohol abuse. The most important word in this phrase, the one that the verb must agree with, is effects. Both the noun effects and the verb cost are plural.

1. the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already cost business ← If we ignore the relative which, it's easier to see that "the effects... cost" is correct (we can't say "the effects... costs").
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Send PM
Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of more than $100 billion a year.

Understanding the meaning helped me to get through this sentence.

(A) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of …. Wordy cost to business is incorrect

(B) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already cost business correct modifier CORRECT

(C) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, already with business costs of modifier error

(D) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costing business simple present tense is preferred use of significant is incorrect

(E) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costs business effects is plural. Costs is singular use of significant is incorrect
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts