It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 22:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [2], given: 0

Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2008, 15:53
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (01:01) correct 34% (01:15) wrong based on 737 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of more than $100 billion a year.

(A) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of

(B) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already cost business

(C) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, already with business costs of

(D) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costing business

(E) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costs business

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I got this wrong.... can you please post answers with explanations?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 63 [2], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2008, 17:07
I go for B, which is concise and uses the modifiers properly.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

Re: Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2008, 13:07
OA is B

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1447 [0], given: 2

Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2009, 13:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of more than $100 billion a year.

(A) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of
(B) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already cost business
(C) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, already with business costs of
(D) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costing business
(E) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costs business

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 136 [2], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2009, 13:42
This post received
KUDOS
My answer would be B

According to Manhattan Gmat Sc VAN pattern Adverb is preferred here, thats why Significantly is correct. So D/E is out of the equation.
I thought A and C are redundant so I guess it is B
Please correct me If I am wrong
Thank you

Kudos [?]: 136 [2], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2009, 13:50
IMO B.

significantly compounding is better than significant in compounding.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2009, 13:52
skg wrote:
My answer would be B

According to Manhattan Gmat Sc VAN pattern Adverb is preferred here, thats why Significantly is correct. So D/E is out of the equation.
Thank you

skg, What is "VAN pattern Adverb"?

VP
VP

Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2009, 14:00
skg wrote:
My answer would be B

Thank you

Fantastic VAN application.

OA is B.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2009, 14:03
There is a topic in Manhattan Gmat SC
First chapter: grammer, meaning and concision.
VAN: verb > adjective(adverb) > noun
How to rank parts of speech. There are 6 patterns.

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2009, 14:15
skg wrote:
There is a topic in Manhattan Gmat SC
First chapter: grammer, meaning and concision.
VAN: verb > adjective(adverb) > noun
How to rank parts of speech. There are 6 patterns.

I have Manhattan SC 3rd version. I don't remember anything like 6 patterns mentioned in that. Which version of Manhattan GMAT SC book do you use?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2009, 04:02
Imo B significant is used wrongly in D and E .

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 29

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 446 [0], given: 92

Schools: Chicago b.

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2009, 04:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do...

Kudos [?]: 446 [0], given: 92

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 135 [1], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2009, 06:25
This post received
KUDOS
Ayrish wrote:
Hi everyone.
I was working the 1000 sc through and found unclear for me question. Can u help me please. What is the subject for the second sentence? (which cost business....)

289. Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of more than $100 billion a year.

I think it is a USE ...
however in B (the right answer the subject is plural, COST)

Tnank you for any help.

You need an adverbial modifier (significantly compounding) so cancel out choices D and E.
"which" is refering to plural subject - the effects of drug and alcohol abuse
In A: a cost to business of is weird and unidiomatic.
C again has a modifier issues.

Kudos [?]: 135 [1], given: 7

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 415 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2010, 06:01
Ayrish wrote:
Hi everyone.
I was working the 1000 sc through and found unclear for me question. Can u help me please. What is the subject for the second sentence? (which cost business....)

289. Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of more than $100 billion a year.

I think it is a USE ...
however in B (the right answer the subject is plural, COST)

Tnank you for any help.

B is correct....

Explanation:
D and E are out as you need an adverb for sure....
you need 'which' as the second clause is modify the first clause..... hence C is out..

between A and B.. cost would be preferred as a verb than a noun (currently in A)

Also as asked by you the subject of the clause is 'the effects of drug and alcohol abuse' which is plural... and hence cost is perfect....

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Kudos [?]: 415 [0], given: 47

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1504 [2], given: 40

WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2010, 23:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
IMO B.

Clues:
1. A is wrong as "which already are a cost to business of" is incorrect usage.
2. the effects of drug and alcohol abuse [plural] - COST is required. So, C and E out.
3. D is wrong because initial non-underlined part "the use....is growing" which indicates it requires an adverb to indicate the emphasis and also u can see ", and already costing business" part in the end which add another clause rather than a modified form.

Want to improve your CR: http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: http://gmatclub.com/forum/50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: http://gmatclub.com/forum/key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Kudos [?]: 1504 [2], given: 40

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 244 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2010, 03:19

OA is B ..but what does Which stands for ??
Pls clarify !!

"CEO in making"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2010, 01:03
but as per my understanding which modifies the noun immediately preceding the comma .In this case which modifes alcohol abuse .
Isnt ?

"CEO in making"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2010, 05:34
tenaman10 wrote:

Pls clarify !!

'B' and 'D' are close. 'B' has more weightage due to 'which' . since the second clause 'already a cost'.. is dependent on first so needs a relative cluase 'which'. Which refers to 'the effects of drug nd alcohol abuse'.. hence 'B'

in 'E' cost cannot be singular.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2010, 11:17
(E) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costs business]

The rules that should be taken into consideration:

1. One subject can have two or more verbs, but two verbs are not separated comma.
Example:
I have done it and won it.
=> Choice E has made a mistake by using comma plus verb for the same subject.
2. "Comma plus verb+ing" will always modify the entire preceding clause that has a subject and a verb. What does D do? Nothing. It is absurd.
3. I have done the work, already with highest cost.
=> already with highest cost clearly modifies the work.
In the option C, does it make sense to say "the effects, already with business costs"?
4. "which already are a cost" is awkward. Besides, "are a cost" could be written as "are costs".

Hence, B is the best choice.

Never, never, never GIVE UP.

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1504 [0], given: 40

WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2010, 11:36
tenaman10 wrote:

Pls clarify !!

WHICH is user here for THE EFFECTS OF

Want to improve your CR: http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: http://gmatclub.com/forum/50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: http://gmatclub.com/forum/key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Kudos [?]: 1504 [0], given: 40

Re: Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2010, 11:36

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 69 posts ] 

Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap