Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:08 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619932 [2]
Given Kudos: 81631
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32057 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4101 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 493 [0]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
A family has a child every j years. The oldest child is t years old. [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
A family has a child every j years. The oldest child is t years old. If they have a child 2 years from now, how many children will they have in total.

A. t/j +1

B. 2/j +1

C. (t+2)/j -1

D. (t+2)/j

E. (t+2)/j +1

Assume t=14, J=8 and in next 2 years they will have three kids including the oldest+ 8 year old + just born
Sub in options A=14/8+1; B=2/8+1; C=(14+2)/8-1=1; D=(14+2)/8=2; E= (14+2)/8+1=3 So IMO E as they ask for number of kids in 2 years.

Originally posted by Lampard42 on 14 Jun 2019, 00:35.
Last edited by Lampard42 on 14 Jun 2019, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3456 [2]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
A family has a child every j years. The oldest child is t years old. [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
A family has a child every j years. The oldest child is t years old. If they have a child 2 years from now, how many children will they have in total.

A. t/j +1

B. 2/j +1

C. (t+2)/j -1

D. (t+2)/j

E. (t+2)/j +1

The series is in AP,
With age of oldest child = last term = t
Age of next new child = 1st term = -2
Common difference = j

Use Last term of AP,
t = -2 + (n - 1)j
--> t + 2 = (n - 1)j
--> n - 1 = (t + 2)/j
--> n = (t + 2)/j + 1

IMO Option E

Pls Hit Kudos if you like the solution

Originally posted by CareerGeek on 14 Jun 2019, 00:45.
Last edited by CareerGeek on 14 Jun 2019, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

A. t/j +1

B. 2/j +1

C. (t+2)/j -1

D. (t+2)/j

E. (t+2)/j +1

IanStewart ArvindCrackVerbal pushpitkc chetan2u

Can you please share your thoughts in this question?

Thanks in advance
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3456 [0]
Send PM
Re: A family has a child every j years. The oldest child is t years old. [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. t/j +1

B. 2/j +1

C. (t+2)/j -1

D. (t+2)/j

E. (t+2)/j +1

Hi Mo2men
The question means that a kid is born every j years and after two years another kid will be born, so TEO years from now, the age of the eldest will be a multiple of j, so let that be X...
So jX=t+2.....X=(t+2)/j..
But the first kid was right at start that is 0, which has to be added back, so the number of kids will be X+1=\(\frac{t+2}{j}\)+1

You could take a value say after every 5 years a child is born so J=5..
Let the eldest be 18 year old so t=18...
After 2 years, the eldest will be 18+2=20..
So after every 5 year means 20/5 or 4, but we have to add one more as this does not include the eldest as he is born at 0..
C--5years--C--10years--C--15years--C--20years--C.....Total 5..
Look for the choice that gives you 5 as the answer..
E.(18+2)/5+1=(20/5)+1=4+1=5

E

Hi chetan2u

Let’s say the eldest kid is 3 years old
And j = 5

(t + 2)/j = 5/5 = 1

As of today there is only kid right?

Isn’t the option D ?

Posted from my mobile device
RC & DI Moderator
Send PM
Re: A family has a child every j years. The oldest child is t years old. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dillesh4096 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. t/j +1

B. 2/j +1

C. (t+2)/j -1

D. (t+2)/j

E. (t+2)/j +1

Hi Mo2men
The question means that a kid is born every j years and after two years another kid will be born, so TEO years from now, the age of the eldest will be a multiple of j, so let that be X...
But the first kid was right at start that is 0, which has to be added back, so the number of kids will be X+1=\(\frac{t+2}{j}\)+1

So after every 5 year means 20/5 or 4, but we have to add one more as this does not include the eldest as he is born at 0..

E

Hi chetan2u

Let’s say the eldest kid is 3 years old
And j = 5

(t + 2)/j = 5/5 = 1

As of today there is only kid right?

Isn’t the option D ?

Answer would depend on the wordings..

In the present scenario, it is..

If they have a child 2 years from now, how many children will they have in total.
The WILL tells you we are talking of future when the kid is born after two years.
So E is the answer

But say the wordings were..

If they WILL have a child 2 years from now, how many children DO they have in total.
We are talking of now and D will be the answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 4
Send PM
According to the question : A family has a child every j years. Let's assume J to be 4...

The oldest child is t years old. Lets assume t to be 10.

Therefore the no. of the children they have : (3 children in total) 10 yrs, 6 yrs and 2 yrs
after 2 years, no. of children they will have : (4 children in total) 12 yrs, 8 yrs, 4 yrs and 0 yrs

In option C, when we substitute the value of T =10 and J =4 we get 4 as the answer. Hence, Option C is correct !!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3456 [0]
Send PM
rxb266 wrote:
According to the question : A family has a child every j years. Let's assume J to be 4...

The oldest child is t years old. Lets assume t to be 10.

Therefore the no. of the children they have : (3 children in total) 10 yrs, 6 yrs and 2 yrs
after 2 years, no. of children they will have : (4 children in total) 12 yrs, 8 yrs, 4 yrs and 0 yrs

In option C, when we substitute the value of T =10 and J =4 we get 4 as the answer. Hence, Option C is correct !!

You meant to say E is the answer ?

RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. t/j +1

B. 2/j +1

C. (t+2)/j -1

D. (t+2)/j

E. (t+2)/j +1

Hi Mo2men

E

Thanks chetan2u for you help but I'm not able to understand the example above on the time line.

When the oldest kid appear and where the 2 years start related to her?

You elaboration more is highly required

Thanks in asdvance
RC & DI Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. t/j +1

B. 2/j +1

C. (t+2)/j -1

D. (t+2)/j

E. (t+2)/j +1

Hi Mo2men

E

Thanks chetan2u for you help but I'm not able to understand the example above on the time line.

When the oldest kid appear and where the 2 years start related to her?

You elaboration more is highly required

Thanks in asdvance

(oldest child born and the time is 0 years)---5 years pass--( second child is born and time is 5 years)---5 years pass--( third child is born and time is 10 years)---5 years pass--( fourth child is born and time is 15 years)--3 years--(PRESENT time, Oldest is 15+3 or t)--2 years--(Fifth child is born and time is 18+2 or 20 or t+2)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 448
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
T - total years under consideration.
T+2 - multiple of j (let the number of kids the couple will have be n)

T+2 = nj
N = (T+2)/j -> The number of kids the family will have in 2 years.

Currently, it must be (T+2)/j -1 + 1 => (T+2)/j. (+1 is to add the eldest kid born)

Hence Option D.

Example :

T = 16
J = 3

Kid 1 : 16 years
Kid 2 : 13 years
Kid 3 : 10 years
Kid 4 : 7 years
Kid 5 : 4 years
Kid 6 : 1 year

Hence : (T+2)/j = 16+2/3 = 6

Kindly correct me if am wrong.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
If we start the frequency of j right from when the first child is born then the answer is E but if the frequency,j, is taken from their marriage then the first child is born on the first interval of j and the answer will be D. Eagerly waiting for the OA. Although Option E makes more sense as the same frequency started right from when their first child is born.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9250 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
In some situations, a similar question might be ambiguous - for example, if you were told "a family has been together for 24 years. If they had a child every 8 years, how many children do they have?" the answer wouldn't be clear to me: it could be 3 or 4, depending on whether you think you should count "year zero".

But that ambiguity doesn't exist in this question. Here we know the age of the oldest child is t years. So in two years, that child will be t+2 years old, and there will be a new child that is 0 years old. Since the ages of the children are j years apart, we have this equally spaced list of the ages of all of the children:

0, j, 2j, 3j... t + 2

and we know how to count the number of things n in an equally spaced list, using n = range/space + 1. So the number of children is just (t + 2 - 0)/j + 1 = (t+2)/j + 1.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7630 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos