Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:11 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wouldn't pay for it. It's probably ok since so many schools use it, but you'll likely get it -- or something like it -- for free once you get to school. I don't like to pay for stuff I can get for free.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bump. Has anyone else used it before attending an MBA program? Was it helpful and worth the money?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
loom wrote:
Bump. Has anyone else used it before attending an MBA program? Was it helpful and worth the money?

Some schools give it to you for free - Duke is one of them. I haven't done it yet, but plan to do so this week.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
loom wrote:

I used CareerLeader shortly after taking the GMAT. I thought it was very useful in finding careers, I never gave Investment Management much thought before Career Leader and now I am seriously thinking about it. It is useful if you don't have a good idea of what you want to do post b-school.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
loom wrote:

I used it a few weeks ago. I don't know if its entirely helpful for people who know what they want to do, but for those who feel unsure about certain paths , i think it can help validate or demonstrate alternate paths you may not have considered.

For instance, I knew, sort of conceptually, that marketing might be fit - when it showed up as a strong match in careerleader, it made me think that I should I give it a harder look. It also suggested sales, which I had never thought of (and probably wont). There were no major surprises for me, but it helped validate that what I thought would be a fit -- might well be a fit -- and what I thought would be a poor fit, was in fact, a poor fit.

If you KNOW you want to do X, and you plan on doing X no matter what, careerleader probably wont be helpful. If you are considering a few possibilities, aren't sure, or just need a little extra "validation" (albeit from a computer algorithm), it can be worthwhile.... depending on price.

Oh and - I got a lot of mileage out of the industry profiles.... you can see profiles for lots of jobs and industries - even ones you didnt score well in. They describe the industry, trends, etc... Its not like it just shows you your top 3 industries... it ranks you for ALL of them and you can go and see just how badly you fit with Ibanking or Consulting, or why it thought you were a poor fit for X or Y. That was helpful too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
loom wrote:

I used it a few weeks ago. I don't know if its entirely helpful for people who know what they want to do, but for those who feel unsure about certain paths , i think it can help validate or demonstrate alternate paths you may not have considered.

For instance, I knew, sort of conceptually, that marketing might be fit - when it showed up as a strong match in careerleader, it made me think that I should I give it a harder look. It also suggested sales, which I had never thought of (and probably wont). There were no major surprises for me, but it helped validate that what I thought would be a fit -- might well be a fit -- and what I thought would be a poor fit, was in fact, a poor fit.

If you KNOW you want to do X, and you plan on doing X no matter what, careerleader probably wont be helpful. If you are considering a few possibilities, aren't sure, or just need a little extra "validation" (albeit from a computer algorithm), it can be worthwhile.... depending on price.

Oh and - I got a lot of mileage out of the industry profiles.... you can see profiles for lots of jobs and industries - even ones you didnt score well in. They describe the industry, trends, etc... Its not like it just shows you your top 3 industries... it ranks you for ALL of them and you can go and see just how badly you fit with Ibanking or Consulting, or why it thought you were a poor fit for X or Y. That was helpful too.

Thanks guys! Seems like a worthwhile investment. I've got about 2-3 interests that are very diverse and I'd like some quantitative data to validate them.

Or who knows it might unearth a path I previously had not considered.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Send PM
Re: Has anyone used CareerLeader? [#permalink]
Kudos