Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:02 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think this depends on the school. For Ross, I used the optional essay to "add"(hopefully) value to my candidacy. My general take is unless the school prohibits me from putting anything other than an explantion for extenuating circumstances, like Wharton does, I am inclined to use it for what its worth.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
I think this depends on the school. For Ross, I used the optional essay to "add"(hopefully) value to my candidacy. My general take is unless the school prohibits me from putting anything other than an explantion for extenuating circumstances, like Wharton does, I am inclined to use it for what its worth.

I am doing the same.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Chicago doesn't call out specifically only use it for gaps in employment or to explain grades/gmat but they do imply that very strongly. I am sure these people read so many essays that someone feeling like they want to write 500 more words isn't going to give an edge. Honestly if I had a strong profile with nothing that needs explaining I wouldn't bother with it, unless the school requests stuff about volunteering or extracurriculars in the optional essay.

I wrote a short essay on why I had a couple bad grades and how I turned it around. I didn't want them to create reasons why (dont want them to think I was drinking and having fun) I had a couple weak semesters and finished with four straight 3.5-3.8 semesters, getting better each one. I had good reasoning so I wrote about it, in the end I think it actually strengthens my app because it allows me to get more details in about my education than I otherwise could.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ummm...but isn't it always drinking and having fun that causes bad grades? Even if we can come up with some other legitimate excuse?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I also have to write an optional essay on a failed grade I received in my last quarter in my senior year.

It's pretty obvious considering my GPA is 3.33 that I slacked off. But I can't say that. It's all in how I try to spin this. *sigh*
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
emoryhopeful wrote:
Ummm...but isn't it always drinking and having fun that causes bad grades? Even if we can come up with some other legitimate excuse?

I don't drink and I went to a military school with very very few girls...trust me there was nothing fun going on there. Unless you think waking up at 4:30 in the morning to clean the upperclassmen's bathrooms fun. Then again stories like that always come in handy for essays.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oh no, such a terrible GPA at 3.33. I would kill for that. I don't think you need to spin it any way, other than you've learned from it. At least, that's what I'm hoping will work. I failed two classes in the same semester in the middle of school. It was my only really poor semester, with the rest being at least solid. I really don't plan on addressing it too much in the essays, but will gladly address it in an interview.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
emoryhopeful wrote:

I don't drink and I went to a military school with very very few girls...trust me there was nothing fun going on there. Unless you think waking up at 4:30 in the morning to clean the upperclassmen's bathrooms fun. Then again stories like that always come in handy for essays.

Ouch...that's definitely not fun.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm on NC's boat in terms of optional essays. If there is a STRONG (key word: strong) part of you candidacy that's not addressed in the essay questions, and the school doesn't limit optional essays to special circumstances (as Stanford also does), then having a 500 word essay is helpful.

For my Haas and UCLA essays, I couldn't use my community service (which shows leadership and giving back to alma mater outside of work) in any of the essays, so I used the optional essay to talk about it. For Stanford, one of the short essays allowed me to talk about part of my community service, so that was good enough for me.

Kellogg also has enough questions that I do not need to write an optional essay.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Re: The Optional Essay [#permalink]
skaballet wrote:
I was considering using the optional essay to make a couple points and wanted to get others view on it:

1. GMAT Q Score: I got a 44 which is 72%. Overall score is pretty good (710), but I know most schools say they want the breakdown to be 80% in each. I did undergrad in business and information systems so is relatively technical. Is it worth making the point that even though Q score is not that great I have demonstrated I can handle Q through undergrad classes?

2. I have a couple classes from a community college that I took in high school on my college transcript. Is it worth mentioning that this was while I was in high school and was considered similar to AP since it was taught at my high school. Also grading scale was pretty different think B (93-88).

Thanks for your input,
Sarah

S -

My total gmat was the same as yours, but my quant was even worse. I thought about doing the extra essay, but did not. These guys know how to read your app. They'll put the gmat in perspective, and as others have said, you're fine.

As for the second, I'd skip it. It's not earth-shattering enough.
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
Hi guys!

Just to revive this thread.

I had a couple of bad grades in college as in "E- Exposed" which I turned around to "good/above average" respectively in the next year. Other than that I had continuous advancements in the following semesters. My GPA turned out just fine from a top tier school.

Dont mean to make it sound like an excuse but I had far more pressing societal issues during that semester, which felt of greater importance than academics at that point and about which I had done something taking up leadership initiatives.

Am applying only to wharton this year. They have an optional essay to explain the "extenuating circumstances" . It was just those two grades and nothing else at all in the whole transcipt. I could explain I was involved in leadership activities in the society , so lost track of academics but am not that person anymore, etc.

Other than this flaw I have a solid application. Should I just let it be?? or should I explain it??

@riverripper: considering you were in a similar spot, I would much appreciate your answer.

Thanks guys.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Law (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Anasthaesium wrote:
Hi guys!

Just to revive this thread.

I had a couple of bad grades in college as in "E- Exposed" which I turned around to "good/above average" respectively in the next year. Other than that I had continuous advancements in the following semesters. My GPA turned out just fine from a top tier school.

Dont mean to make it sound like an excuse but I had far more pressing societal issues during that semester, which felt of greater importance than academics at that point and about which I had done something taking up leadership initiatives.

Am applying only to wharton this year. They have an optional essay to explain the "extenuating circumstances" . It was just those two grades and nothing else at all in the whole transcipt. I could explain I was involved in leadership activities in the society , so lost track of academics but am not that person anymore, etc.

Other than this flaw I have a solid application. Should I just let it be?? or should I explain it??

riverripper: considering you were in a similar spot, I would much appreciate your answer.

Thanks guys.

Hey, I'm in a similar spot this year... Not too bad a GPA overall, but there are these black spots on my transcript. How do i explain it in the optional essay?
GMAT Club Bot