Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 01:21 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
Re: Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants [#permalink]
jpjazzman wrote:
faceman wrote:
riverripper wrote:
Best exchange of the whole chat…note this kid said Mr. in a pervious question.

Mechengineer__Guest_: Mr. Martinelli, what would be a typical class size in GSB like? On average, what is the percentage of international applicants who are accepted?

Rose: Okay -- just a clarification, it is Ms. Typically our international student body is around 1/3 of the entering class.

That was great stuff.

One thing I learned from this chat that I hadn't known already was that, according to Rose, the applications that are turned in earlier are printed out and queued for reading and likely get read before applications turned in around the deadline. She said (for R2 applicants) that turning in your app earlier might get you an earlier interview notification. Maybe everyone else but me knew this, but I was under the impression that most schools (like Chicago) printed apps out after the due date passed and that applications were read in random order. She didn't say that apps were all printed out in the exact order received or anything, but I hadn't realized this.

I still don't necessarily buy that though. I think they encourage it just to help them get a better sense for numbers as early as possible in the process to help guide how many interviews they give out, etc. I submitted my GSB app an hour before it was due and got an interview on the first day they were offered... same with MIT. Could be true of Wharton though - I found out there on last day. I'm not one for promptness!

they definitely read apps before the deadline. i was at a wash dc event before the deadline and rose talked about how shes loved the powerpoint presentations she had seen. i even asked her if they read apps before the deadline and she said yes.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
More on these powerpoint presenations and what people have been up to so far :

https://www.chicagotribune.com/services/ ... 7865.story
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
If you actually read through this article, it says that applications have increased 65% from 2 years ago. That is a really scary thought. I believe the trend will be same for all the top 15 schools. Its just going to make our life very difficult. I also do not blame the schools but I believe they should not go for diversity for the sake of diversity. I know the reasoning that nobody wants to be in a class full of quant jocks. But I also do not want to see rejection over another candidate purely on the basis that he/she is from a underrepresented section. I fail to see how being from a underrepresented section is a means to adding diversity to the class. I know to some this must seem like a bunch of sour grapes coming from a over represented pool. But schools must seriously think this point over.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Diversity is much more important than you think. They could easily fill a class with a bunch of former bankers and consultants from ivy league level schools, while raising their mean GMAT to 730. Now a class filled with people like that is going to be missing perspectives different than what those people bring.

Remember the decision process more well rounded than simply deciding based on academics. Yes we all would love a 780 GMAT, a 3.8gpa from Princeton...but if you do that and then have crappy work experience, should you get in over someone from State U with a 3.3 who got a 710 but has extremely amazing WE and extras?

I can see why someone who has to face the stiffest competition would feel that way, I mean we have all seen the stats of Indians making up 5% (rough representation of HBS) of a class when we know they make up a far greater percentage of applications. But in reality when you show up to school if you saw 650 people just like you then you would be disappointed. Besides this is what the work world is like, they recruit for diversity so why would schools be any different since they are trying to provide these companies with future employees.

To maximize your chances you need to realize who you are competing against and understand how to best position yourself against them. Realize that a lot of those people have similar backgrounds and work experience so you really need to execute better and present your strengths in a more compelling manner. There are definitely some very interesting experiences and backgrounds for Indians, its just a matter of letting the adcoms see that instead of just another person with a 750+ from a great school, who works in a very common job.

You never want to be forgettable in this process, basically you dont want them to be able to replace your name with 50 other peoples and have it work. Just like you dont want to write why you are choosing the school and have it read like: I want to attend (insert which ever school this apps is for) because of their academic rigor, great profs, incredible students, and great job opportunities...That is a sentence you can reuse in every essay with just changing the school name and its not going to help prove you know the school and fit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Agree on most points with you riveripper. Its just the frustation of the application process and the ding from Kellogg that have been really consuming me. I keep hearing so many theories during the application process that it really confuses me.
But I have moved on. I have 2 more interviews for other schools coming up so hedging my bets on that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
tsaditya the process is stressful so you definitely aren't alone in that. This year is going to be extremely tough for almost everyone applying, yes some demographics will have it tougher than others. But applications are WAY up and so is quality. It sucks that its getting harder but there are the same number of seats at the top schools while competition is definitinely growing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
tsaditya wrote:
I keep hearing so many theories during the application process that it really confuses me.

I think many people tend to over-think the admission process. The diversity is definitely a distinctive factor, but I doubt that a school would admit a less competent applicant over an uber smart one just because of his ethnicity or origin. My opinion is that top schools just get so many great applications, that they can afford the luxury of being picky with that.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CerealsMBA wrote:
tsaditya wrote:
I keep hearing so many theories during the application process that it really confuses me.

I think many people tend to over-think the admission process. The diversity is definitely a distinctive factor, but I doubt that a school would admit a less competent applicant over an uber smart one just because of his ethnicity or origin. My opinion is that top schools just get so many great applications, that they can afford the luxury of being picky with that.

Agree. It’s all about putting forth the best application...PERIOD. Just because someone has a 770 GMAT doesn't make them an automatic admit. I think the GMAT is gaining less and less relevance to the overall admissions process. GMAT doesn’t give an AO an impression of what you bring to the classroom and to the school. The one complaint I heard from every AO I talked to is the lack of writing skills.

Diversity is not just about background but also it pertains to thought. Each school is looking to compile the best class of intellectuals from different perspectives to make for a dynamic environment.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
A 700+ GMAT is nothing special anymore. Heck a 730+ is becoming fairly common. All a good GMAT does is get your foot in the door. Its up to your essays, resume, recommendations, and all that to close the deal.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
somewhere in the chat transcript Rose said they don't care much about the undergrad GPA...what do you guys think about that? I LIKE IT! LOL.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
aceman626 wrote:
somewhere in the chat transcript Rose said they don't care much about the undergrad GPA...what do you guys think about that? I LIKE IT! LOL.

Quote:
SpiderMan__Guest_: Do you look more favorably on a good GPA in an average undergrad institution, or an average GPA from a top institution?

Rose: With all the grade inflation out there, I'm not overly focused on the GPA. I look at how candidates have leverage their opportunities, and I look carefully at the transcript and how involved a student was during their undergraduate experience. The GPA doesn't tell me the whole story.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Any good ideas on how to tide over this weekend??

I am considering to surround myself in a mist of vodka, gin and rum...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
aviroop wrote:
Any good ideas on how to tide over this weekend??

I am considering to surround myself in a mist of vodka, gin and rum...

Going right now to my company's Xmas Party, if it is similar to last year's it's going to be Red and Porto wine :lol: .

Tomorrow I'm going to rest and on Sunday I have a family lunch, so just today I can drink "a little".

But it's going to be very hard this weekend...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
aceman626 wrote:

Well, I was the one who asked that question b/c my GPA is average... and an alumn from the GSB I met in Paris told me that a good GPA was important to get in... But, while his pre-MBA professional experience was interesting, his undergrad institution was an extremely average school (and I am being nice), and I do not consider it fair to equally compare his GPA with mine...

Anyway, my conclusion is, if your GPA is low, you will need to do some damage control...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1575 [0]
Send PM
CerealsMBA wrote:
aceman626 wrote:

Well, I was the one who asked that question b/c my GPA is average... and an alumn from the GSB I met in Paris told me that a good GPA was important to get in... But, while his pre-MBA professional experience was interesting, his undergrad institution was an extremely average school (and I am being nice), and I do not consider it fair to equally compare his GPA with mine...

Anyway, my conclusion is, if your GPA is low, you will need to do some damage control...

I think GPA is very important, but also has to do with your age...the younger you are, the more it becomes important.
I agree with Cereal...that school matter! In my opinion, if you graduated engineering from MIT with a 3.2 would look much better than a not-so-difficult major from no name school with 3.9 GPA.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
wow. I was reading through the latest GSB chat transcript - apparently they interviewed 60% of R1 applicants. That seems unusually high.
Is this a new trend or has GSB traditionally interviewed a high number of applicants?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
Ok. Is Wharton's rule that "+/- 10% is going to be fine (and remain unnoticed)" for essays applicable to Chicago's 1st essay (goal essay). My word count at the moment - 1609 words :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  34   35   36   37   38  ...  135   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts