It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 16:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 765 [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2007, 17:01
nick_sun wrote:
Ok. Is Wharton's rule that "+/- 10% is going to be fine (and remain unnoticed)" for essays applicable to Chicago's 1st essay (goal essay). My word count at the moment - 1609 words :)

I would get close to the length. I think for the 1500 word essays there is no excuse for going over by more than a sentence or two. If you can get a 500 word essay within 50 words why can't you get one that gives you 3 times the words but pretty much asks the same thing.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 14

Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2007, 23:42
yeah, if I applied to GSB, I wouldn't even be able to come close to 1500 words. My goals essays are generally 1000-1100 words and it got the point across. I really don't think those extra 400 words will make my essay any better...

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2007, 05:57
Guys,

Thank you for the previous comments. I also think that it is better to be within the margins. They mention the word "maximum" for purpose. Maybe, they detect "overreachers" electronically and then punish them. Who knows... :)

Beg you pardon for the technical stuff below. But I need to ask somebody about this.

1. U-Chico wants an expanded resume (extremely detailed). So what for do I need to add my employment history twice? For statistics?

2. Do I need to include such organizations as an athletic club in the organizations' section?

3. Should I follow their sample of an expanded resume or can I take a sample from their resume books (if I find them, of course)? What would you prefer?

Nick

Last edited by nick_sun on 15 Dec 2007, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2007, 06:36
nick_sun wrote:
1. U-Chico wants an expanded resume (extremely detailed). So what for do I need to add my employment history twice? For statistics?

2. Do I need to include such organizations as an athletic club in the section marked with green (see below)?

3. Should I follow their sample of an expanded resume or can I take a sample from their resume books (if I find them, of course)? What would you prefer?

Nick

1) no clue what you mean.

2) I wouldn't use an athletic club. I think they are meaning are you a selectman for your town, a member of a chamber of commerce, a member of the society of professional whatever, or something along those lines. I believe there is another spot for extracurricular and volunteer activities.

3) Follow their sample, they want salary and people you are in charge of for a reason. The resumes in the books are professional resumes and are NOT what they want. They give you a sample for a reason so use it.

Director
Director

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2007, 14:12
riverripper wrote:
nick_sun wrote:

Nick

1) no clue what you mean.

See the "Add New" (marked with red) on the picture above. The info in this sections repeats almost everything "work-related" that I should have in my expanded resume.

Thank you :)

Nick.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2007, 14:44
Don't fight it...all these forms are a pain just answer all their questions and leave nothing blank. It doesn't need to make sense.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GSB part time mba [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2007, 18:58
I am planning to apply to GSB's weekend MBA program, is it too late?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2007, 00:56
If you could step into someone else’s shoes for a day, who would it be and why? (500 word maximum)

Does the person choosen for this essay have to be famous. I am thinking of choosing my mother, who has worked in the community for past 15 years (as social worker, special educator etc). She has been my inspiration for my community service involvement.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2007, 01:04
tsaditya wrote:
If you could step into someone else’s shoes for a day, who would it be and why? (500 word maximum)

Does the person choosen for this essay have to be famous. I am thinking of choosing my mother, who has worked in the community for past 15 years (as social worker, special educator etc). She has been my inspiration for my community service involvement.

DEFINITELY not (needing to be famous). I think they encourage you to pick someone that MATTERS to you and displays who you are and your qualities. I personally think picking someone famous for the sake of them being famous (or because it's "what the adcom wants to read") is not the way to go. I think your mother would be a very good person to write an essay about!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2007, 04:27
Ok, needed some clarification from you guys about the decision dates for R1 admissions...

Will Chicago start announcing admits via phone from 17th and continue until 18th.. then on 19th, everybody gets the email with status change....

So if one does not get a phone call by 18th.evening. is it a ding.. or do people get admit notifications even on 19th 9 am.. either via mail or phone?

Are admit notifications made by email also on 17th and 18th?

Now I read the transcript chat and I am just curious.. the threads on BW got me thinking.(although BW has more flatulence and less fact in their threads)...

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 8

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2007, 05:02
Rhyme made it sound like they would be calling the 17th (he will be back tonight maybe he will post something). They made it sound like they wont be calling until the 18th though on the chat. Also they said dont be scared if you arent called before 9ct on the 19th since they may not have time to call everyone. I am assuming if you dont get a call monday or tues then you are most likely a ding or WL.

With something like 15 known applicants and probably a handful more lurking here we will find out pretty quickly when they start calling. Also a quick look at BW and admin411 will show some activity.

Now whenever someone gets the call they need to just drop a "admit" post on to here so we can all start staring at our cell phones.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2007, 10:51
tsaditya wrote:

One benefit of picking someone famous is (And I am not saying that you should pick someone famous) that you will not have to spend a lot of words describing the person .. and so .. you can use those words on the "why". All this is certainly worthless to argue about if you have a great story to tell for someone not so famous.

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2007, 11:00
I am sure people writing about their mother or father or brother or friend with cancer or someone not famous is pretty common. Not everyone writes about some random person or a well known individual.

Write about whoever you feel you can write the best story about.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2007, 11:52
As mentioned before, do not focus much on "who" but on "why", it "doesn't matter" much who the person is nut why this person.

I was thinking about my grandfather, but when I made the first draft I realized that I would have needed around 1000 words to have a good essay and later I went for a well known person with whom in a couple of sentences I described the situation and his personality. I decided to write about a specific date rather than his whole life. I believe that it was a little risky the name I chose as the person was really a problematic one in several situations, but the specific date was perfect (IMO). We see until next wed if my strategy was correct.

Anyway, I think you could write the essay about your mother.

Last edited by kwam on 16 Dec 2007, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2007, 12:43
Here is the roll call for R1 applicants. Its on page one but just bringing it forward since hopefully tomorrow we get some admits.

Round 1 Status:
riverripper: Interviewed
CookieMonster: Interviewed
Aviroop: Interviewed
kwam: Interviewed
faceman: Interviewed
Forcefeed: Interviewed
cooldar: Interviewed
Vij101: Interviewed
Sangoman: Interviewed
dabots: Interviewed
CfaMiami: Interviewed
gnr646: Interviewed
chillonamill: Interviewed
jpjazzman: Interviewed
burger2001: Interviewed
Collegesenior: Denied w/out interview
beyondinfinity: Denied w/out interview
nnabros: Denied w/out interview

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society

Kudos [?]: 2208 [0], given: 7

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2007, 20:24
riverripper wrote:
Rhyme made it sound like they would be calling the 17th (he will be back tonight maybe he will post something). They made it sound like they wont be calling until the 18th though on the chat. Also they said dont be scared if you arent called before 9ct on the 19th since they may not have time to call everyone. I am assuming if you dont get a call monday or tues then you are most likely a ding or WL.

Hi :) I'm back. I'm an addict, you know I'll check tonight!

First and foremost, I don't actually KNOW the answer to the question, I can only roughly guess based on: last years facts + my gut instinct + extrapolation a bit from rose's comments about not everyone hearing by 9am on the 19th...

Last year, they started making calls two days before the decision date. If memory serves me right, this was true for at least R1/R2 (and maybe even R3, though I stopped paying attention by then). They made the majority of calls on the first day (T minus 2), and a large proportion of the remaining calls (T minus 1) the day before and (I've heard) a handful of calls on the day of to internationals or people they couldn't reach the prior two days (T minus 0). Although some admits apparently did hear on the decision date (I've met one or two at the GSB), most everyone heard the day or two before.

Combining last years events with Rose's comments abouts "not everyone will hear by 9am on the 19th" seems to suggest that this year will follow a similar pattern. Thats not to say that offers will certainly come out tomorrow, but just that it seems to make sense. Last year, 9am on the decision date was when the email blast of dings and waitlists came out (barring a handful of admits).

That said, Rose never said anything like the above comment last year, so it might well be that this year there really are a decent percentage of people who will hear positive news sometime after 9am on the 19th. In other words, take Rose's words to heart, not mine. If she says people will hear positive things on the 19th, I'd believe her. (Lets just hope its a decent percentage)

In any case, we'll all know for sure real soon.... :)

Kudos [?]: 2208 [0], given: 7

VP
VP

Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2007, 02:26
Rhyme, just a last question: those who were admitted received the admission e-mail only at the deadline (in our case Wednesday) or before?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2007, 04:23
Good luck guys, I guess we will find out fairly early if people are getting admits. Looking forward to reading some names as admits.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2007, 05:55
how many % of R1 interviewees do you think they will accept?

For all 3 rounds overall, i would think 40% of the interviewees, if they interview 60% of the total applicant pool. But I am thinking its should be higher for R1, probably 50% of interviewees.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2007, 07:19
Good luck everyone. I am rooting for you all! :)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] 17 Dec 2007, 07:19

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  35   36   37   38   39  ...  135    Next  [ 2681 posts ] 

Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: rohan2345

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap