Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:40 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which options describe you

You may select up to 3 options
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Indian Admits -Room! [#permalink]
Hemant, if you want to get into the top schools, you need to take a leadership role in a community activity. Your participation takes on more importance if you do not have significant leadership content in your professional work experience. A great GMAT score is required. It might not be the only thing Adcoms consider, but with you falling into the most competitive pool of applicants (Indian, IT), you really need to shine on the GMAT to get into the top business schools.
Also, you need to write convincing, honest essays, which are possible only after you have thoroughly researched the schools you are applying to and have firm goals in mind. You need to convince the adcom that you need an MBA and that an MBA will help you achieve your long term goals. Good luck!
In summary, you need to clearly demonstrate that A) You can handle the content of the program (GPA, GMAT) and will contribute to the class (work experience, extras, community)
B) Fit into the program - You intend to get X out of the MBA and this top school just so happens to specialize in giving you that X.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Send PM
Just curious to know why you took the CAT if IIM's do not interest you.
Anyways, with 99.9% in CAT, I would presume cracking the GMAT shouldn't be too difficult.

From my personal experience, GMAT matters a lot for our pool. try to score 760 or above to remain competitive. Rest depends on quality of your essays, school research etc. etc.

I have heard that IMD is a pretty good Intnl program. Any particular reason you are not interested in that or other European schools ?

hksingh83 wrote:
Hi ,
everyone ...am a newbee in this forum...
am not having too impressive profile ..

just am a btech graduate 2005 from NIT ALLAHABAD INDIA)
joined as SOFTWARE PROFFESSIONAL in a US BASED COMPANY(COGNIZANT)..total 3 years exp till now

currently i am working for CREDIT-SUISSE BANK IN ZURICH(switzerland) through cognizant...

Please help me in what else i should do to have some impressive profile ...
as i wil try my level best to score the best in GMAT..but i know only score doesnt matters...

i have got 99.9+ percentiles in CAT(INDIA) from last two years but not IIM'S ...but my aim was or is not IIMS ..
but my aim is to be an mba grad from top ivy league ...

please do shed me your brilliant ideas in this regard ,, i am wiling to do the hardwork from sweat till blood

thanks in advance

hemant singh
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
hksingh83 wrote:
i have got 99.9+ percentiles in CAT(INDIA) from last two years but not IIM'S ...but my aim was or is not IIMS ..
but my aim is to be an mba grad from top ivy league ...

I do not understand what do you mean by "from last two years"..does that mean you have written CAT twice and got 99.9percentile each time??

Anyways, IMHO, ivy leagues are always not the best of B-schools,so do your research and involve yourself in extracurriculars..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi All,
It doesnt mean tht IIM doesnt fit my in likes ...but only the iim i am intrested is IIMA ..
and i tried from last two years but of no use ...
i wanted to crack IIM coz i wanted to get an edge over my profile ..so tht i can pursue MBA from top B school of US .

My final needs me to be an MBA grad from finance or enterpreneual management from these colleges

Thanks a lot ...for your superb help ..
and i will be doing accordingly

Thanks a again ...i know its difficult but not impossible
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [1]
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Kudos
Ncprasad’s MBA Story – Part 4 : The Essays

Prior to writing further about my experience writing application essays, I have to put up a disclaimer.

DISCLAIMER

Please note that the tips and strategies that I am about to share are not necessarily the best way to go about the essay writing process. These ideas worked for me, but they may not for you. As with everything else posted on this board, please use your personal judgment. You and ONLY you can determine what’s best for you.

A word about admissions consultants

I have often heard people stressing over essays and wondering how to write well. Many feel that an admission consultant is the panacea to all their troubles. But, then again there are a lot of folks who believe that admissions consultants are scam artists. My opinion is that the truth lies somewhere in between. I am sure there are good consultants who can make a tangible difference to one’s essays, but I am also sure that there are many folks who either have no idea how to help you or simply don’t care for anything other than their fees. If you do go the consultant route, have reasonable expectations and do a lot of research before hiring one.

Improving your writing skills

Before I embarked on the application process, there was a poll about what everyone thought their achilles heel is, as far as admissions are concerned. I remember responding that the essays will most likely determine my B-school fate. Being from an oversubscribed Male Indian IT applicant pool, I knew I had my task cut out. There are those few smart and fortunate people who seem to write vividly and evenly with a lot of style, with ease. Unfortunately, I am not one of those. I am an average writer at best, who happens to have a fairly strong grasp of the fundamentals of the English language. By nature, I am a strong believer that preparation results in performance. This is probably why I believed that like GMAT scores, the ability to write well could be improved and polished so long as I put in the required effort. So, I enrolled in an expository writing class in the local community college. It was the best decision I made in 2007.

The course lasted for a few months, and cost me about $200. I figured even if I don’t get into school, I will at least acquire skills that can be transferred to my job. I learned a lot from my fellow students, and a good professor who was really passionate about teaching and writing. There were several class assignments that forced me to write on a daily basis. Believe me, this is a crucial aspect of the improvement process.

The best advice I got from my teacher was to “Write daily”. It doesn’t matter what you write about. Just write for 10-minutes non-stop everyday without fail. What you write does not have to make sense, be logical or even be interesting. Write whatever comes to your mind. By doing this, you quicken the time it takes for your brain to kick in when you really WANT to write. Practicing this exercise will help you get over writer’s block. There were several other interesting writing assignments I did for my class. One of them was writing summaries of the daily news. Basically, I had to pretend like a journalist and write my story based on what I hear in the evening news.

Sure, a lot of these things can be done without attending a class. But, I benefited from the structure and the sense of competition the class brought. If you are in the US, I suggest that you at least look into the possibility of taking a writing class in the local community college.

Here are some tips and tools for writing well.

Check the readability of your essays using MS word's Spelling & Grammar feature. Your Flesch reading ease index needs to be >40 atleast. The scale is severe on run-on sentences and verbosity. For reference purposes, flesch reading scale indexes for popular publications are

Harvard Law Review - 32
Harvard Business Review - 42
Reader's Digest - Mid 60's and above (This is my gold standard)
Your average insurance policy - 10

Although, the scale helps you evaluate readability it still does not tell you how to improve. To overcome this, I use the utility available at https://www.online-utility.org/english/r ... mprove.jsp

The utility will not only tell you your index, but also help you focus on the 'guilty' sentences. For a section of this post, the utility gave me this result.

For other helpful tips, refer to https://www.fireandknowledge.org/archive ... ting-well/

There are also several books, related to application essays, in the market. I used Paul Bodine’s book and also read through the Montauk’s book. In my opinion, although both books have some good ideas, their sample essays are not helpful to average candidates like me. I think this is where the GMAT club essay vault can play a significant role. There are not a lot of essays in that forum currently, but interested folks can PM me or other contributors to obtain samples of successful essays from this application season. One book that I do highly recommend for everyone is the NewsWeek essay writing guide. This book was my constant companion and reference guide during the applications process.

https://www.amazon.com/Essay-Writing-Ste ... 95&sr=8-36

Finally, be prepared to spend an insane amount of time on your essays. I spent 100 to 150 hours on each school’s essay. The first drafts of your essays will usually suck. Don’t be discouraged. Also, don’t squeeze the 100 hours or how much ever you spend on a school’s essays within a short timeframe. Essays need to marinate for while and generally your ideas will be refined if they evolve over a period of time. So, start with your essays in early July, if you are targetting R1.

I hope this write-up is helpful to all the 2009ers. Good Luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
ncprasad wrote:
Improving your writing skills

The best advice I got from my teacher was to “Write daily”. It doesn’t matter what you write about. Just write for 10-minutes non-stop everyday without fail. What you write does not have to make sense, be logical or even be interesting. Write whatever comes to your mind. By doing this, you quicken the time it takes for your brain to kick in when you really WANT to write.

Does posting too many times on GMATClub count as "writing daily"? :P

great post NC, thanks again!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
Does posting too many times on GMATClub count as "writing daily"? :P

great post NC, thanks again!

That didn't really help my skills :(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
marinate for while

Reminds me of the biriyani post we had a while back! :)

Great post Nc- I am amazed at the amount of effort and thought you put into this whole process. you are setting a GREAT example. My writing sucks big time and wish I had taken a class as well :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Awesome post NC. Writing has always been a challenge for me too.. but you gave a very good example on how to tackle one's weak points.

We should combine all this info to an indian B school aspirants' thread (as we have different challenges).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
All the parts of the story have been very interesting to read. Please continue :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [0]
Send PM
Great stuff Nc...being a desi, I am learning a lot from your experiences :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
dosa_don wrote:
Quote:
marinate for while
Reminds me of the biriyani post we had a while back! :)

dosa, lol. That was a fun thread. Wasn't it?

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/103-t49783
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
LOL! I agree. That thread was funny and true too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
congrats NC..
Nice post indeed..
So what do you guys say for Female, India, IT???

Also, seeking a little specific advice for me I'm confining my universities to Texas and my preferred school is UTD (cohort MBA -16 months) This is considering both the finance and the location factors.It is in the list of top 50 and a pretty decent school.
NC, do you think it will help boost my career in the US? Please advice as I'm still a little doubtful about taking up full time MBA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Send PM
Any reason why you don't want to apply to McCombs (UT Austin). It has a top-rated accounting program and has good reputation in Marketing and Tech Mgmt as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Diya,

Do consider your long term goal for doing an MBA. If you are switching careers, then doing an MBA from a top school is important. Also, you dont want to spend time and money in school and come out being no better employable than before.

Coming from the same applicant pool of Indian/IT/Female, i think we no longer have the edge of "Female" tag.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
 Q51  V42
Send PM
29/M/Indian /IT here. Just got a call from Duke. I am in at their EMBA+Health Sector Management program.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11