Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 02:46 It is currently 07 May 2024, 02:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink]
Welcome Yubjun. I would like to wish you good luck!

MBALooking, I will be attending Washington Square weeknights.

Did you guys know we have to take a quantitative skills assessment test prior to entering? You have to score 80% or better. If you fail, you have to take mandatory tutoring sessions and then take a final assessment. The tutoring costs $150 but I’d be surprised if many people actually fail this.

According to the Langone new student tour, this is what will be on the test:
Data Relations (Equalities and inequalities, absolute value, ratios and fractions, summation notation)
Functions & Graphs (linear functions, nonlinear functions, summation notation)
Systems of Equations
Exponents (the laws of exponents, quadratic formula)
Logarithms (compound interest and e, exponential growth, natural logarithms)
Familiarity with basic calculus, at the level of taking derivatives of polynomial expressions and using first-order conditions to determine maxima and minima

It doesn’t look hard but it is another thing involved in the process. Apparently the admissions packet has a study disk for this. Also, if you scored lower than 4 on your AWA, you have to do a business writing class which costs $300.

I’m willing to bet these things are pretty much standard for any good business school. I’m surprised though that I hadn’t heard about this stuff before.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
CFACharterholder22 wrote:

Did you guys know we have to take a quantitative skills assessment test prior to entering? You have to score 80% or better. If you fail, you have to take mandatory tutoring sessions and then take a final assessment. The tutoring costs $150 but I’d be surprised if many people actually fail this.

According to the Langone new student tour, this is what will be on the test:
Data Relations (Equalities and inequalities, absolute value, ratios and fractions, summation notation)
Functions & Graphs (linear functions, nonlinear functions, summation notation)
Systems of Equations
Exponents (the laws of exponents, quadratic formula)
Logarithms (compound interest and e, exponential growth, natural logarithms)
Familiarity with basic calculus, at the level of taking derivatives of polynomial expressions and using first-order conditions to determine maxima and minima

It doesn’t look hard but it is another thing involved in the process. Apparently the admissions packet has a study disk for this. Also, if you scored lower than 4 on your AWA, you have to do a business writing class which costs $300.

I’m willing to bet these things are pretty much standard for any good business school. I’m surprised though that I hadn’t heard about this stuff before.

Congrats on your admit!

Rumor has it, according to past langone threads, that the quant assessment is something you can do while watching TV and chatting with friends.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
Did you guys know we have to take a quantitative skills assessment test prior to entering?

Don't stress over the quant assessment. You have three chances to pass it. It's an online, untimed exam.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CFACharterholder22 wrote:

Thanks man. I think I really need it!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FingerscrossedNYU
Washington Square - Weeknights
GMAT: 680; Q 45; V 39; AWA 5
GPA: 3.0 - BS in Business, Concentration in Finance (State School)
7 years experience - Investment Mgmt - Now Sr trader for mutual fund firm
CFA Charterholder and on Executive Committee of volunteer non-profit org

A little nervous about undergrad GPA. Hopefully CFA and volunteer work will overcome that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Quote:
A little nervous about undergrad GPA. Hopefully CFA and volunteer work will overcome that.

I just got in with a 3.0 and a CFA charter. If you wrote great essays and your resume properly illustrates your career progression, you should have a good chance of getting in.

I'll add you to the candidate list over on page 13 of this thread.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Any admits today?

The wait is so hard...I can hardly focus at work!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
I'm not in panic waiting mode just yet...probably will be in July b/c it seems like I fit the profile of people that find out at the very end :P

Plus, I've replaced it with waiting for another kind of email - confirmation that the Coldplay tickets that I won will, in fact, be sent to me :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello all,

First of all, Congrats to all the admits and good luck to those that are waiting!!

I found this forum the other day and I have got to say it's awesome. I submitted my application on May 8th and the wait is killing me as well.

Here are my stats, which are mediocre at best:

27yr old Korean male
GMAT: 640 / AWA 4.5
GPA: 3.3 (International Criminal Justice)
Work: 6-Years - I've been in the Banking Compliance field (specifically Anti-Money Laundering) with decent progression.
Other: 6-years of reserve military experience/2-years of overseas war-time experience.

I feel confident about my essays and my recs; however, I thought I could've done better with the 3rd essay in terms of creativity.

Hoping the military will really give me an edge.

Constantly praying!

Cheers!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is it me or does NYU seem to be taking their time. So who's for the weekend program?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats CFACharterholder22!!!

As for me, just got an email response re: status check email I never got. Other than that, waiting..............

Special good luck to Tangaroo. I just got my Gogol Bordello tickets. I'm happy, even though had to pay for them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Gogol Bordello are awesome! Nice to see another fan on here...I only went to see them once, can't seem to find anyone else to drag to the show lol
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
So there was a glitch on my undergrad transcript, which I learned about from NYU last Tuesday (6/3) via email from appstat@stern.nyu.edu (be sure to have this one unblocked, it’s also used for the status check email). My status check screen changed to contain information about the missing item.

I hand delivered the transcript to NYU on Friday (6/6). As of 9AM today (6/10), the status check screen shows it as received. So it seems like NYU is on top of things as far as receiving any new information from us and updating our files accordingly. Note: I didn’t get an email after they updated the status on my transcript.

On a more detailed note, the text “Thank you for applying to the Langone Part-time MBA program at NYU Stern. We have received your application and it is currently being processed and presented to the Admissions Committee for review.” Disappeared during this process, but has reappeared now that they have everything. My status screen still displays that there was a missing item and the date that it was received.

Anyway, good luck to everyone… today is a probable day for admits!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello all - is it just me or is it a bit unusual that there hasn't been more news over the last few days? By this time last year, there was a steady stream of folks hearing back but that doesn't seem to be the case. Perhaps the higher application volume is slowing their review? Whatever the case, it seems odd that they're taking so much time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MBALooking wrote:
Hello all - is it just me or is it a bit unusual that there hasn't been more news over the last few days? By this time last year, there was a steady stream of folks hearing back but that doesn't seem to be the case. Perhaps the higher application volume is slowing their review? Whatever the case, it seems odd that they're taking so much time.

I know the wait is frustrating, but NYU seems to be on par with past performance. However, without a report on how many people are in the new student database, we really don’t have an objective way to tell how things compare to last year.

The action will pick up late this month / early next.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
the ones that got in, are you able to access the student database?.
Also, i strongly feel that starting mid June there will be more activity.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
I can't access it yet. You have to send in your enrollment information before they allow you to see that info.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18  ...  60