GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 16:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

NYU Langone Fall 2008

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
URGENT HELP needed!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2008, 09:38
Hi Folks,

I have had to change employers since I applied on May 14th. My former employer was a big name IT consulting firm and in my essays I mentioned I saw myself growing with that firm. I am now an independent consultant but focussed on the same areas as my former employer.

Here is my dilemma, I was contacted by the admissions committee today (via email) who want to know how I plan to attend Stern since my employer is based in California (My former employer was based in California and I consulted at client locations on the east coast)

How do I handle this situation? I will obviously respond and say that I consult locally, but do I need to mention that I am no longer with the company that was based out of California?

ANY SUGGESTIONS? Its important how I handle this response.
Intern
Intern
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2008, 09:51
Thanks CFACharterholder22, numbers are good enough....So 67 seats gone....may be 433 or so up for grabs :)!!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2008, 11:10
Quote:
ANY SUGGESTIONS? Its important how I handle this response.

It's crucial that you tell them about your job change and all relevant information regarding the new position. Let's say you're admitted and then Kroll tries to verify your information. They're going to find out about the job switch and your admission may be withdrawn. In addition, this will go on your record with Stern and will make it harder if not impossible to get in on a reapp.

My advice is to write a detailed letter regarding this change. Treat it like essay 4. Do not forget to make sure this letter makes sense when the rest of your previous application is taken into account. You don’t want to undermine anything you already submitted. Stress your goals and why you felt this job change made sense for your career. Also mention why Langone part-time is crucial to making the most of your new position. Good luck!

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient but I do love Fig Newtons!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2008, 11:13
arorasa, you should write in a detailed letter explaining the job change move. That will leave no doubt in their mind and thus adcom will not guess on you.

BTW, anyone watching US Open. Tiger pulling away....yesterday's 18th hole birdie was a putt to remember!!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2008, 11:21
CFACharterholder22 wrote:
I have access to the database. I'll give updates on Fridays around 5 PM regarding the total admitted. If I check and see a big bump in the total on a particular day, I'll post that too. As of right now, there are 67 students in the database including me. Here is the breakdown by industry:

Industry Total
Accounting/Control 2
Advertising 1
Consulting 3
Engineering 7
Finance-Comm Banking 2
Finance-Corp Finance 5
Finance-Other 7
Finance-Sale & Trade 5
General Management 3
Hum. Res./Personnel 1
Information Systems 8
Marketing 5
Operations/Prod 2
Other 9
Research & Develop 1
Sales/Business Dev 3
Strategic Planning 3

I'm not going to list undergrad schools of those admitted or employer information because I think that would be over stepping my bounds. It has all of that information in the database though. It's really interesting.

Thanks for the good info!

Everything seems to be right on track with last year. Based on that, we should see about 30 admits this week and 30 admits next week. Three weeks from now, we could see a burst of admits that approaches 100.

Since about 5% – 8% of applicants seem to be posting here or on business week, you’d expect a stream of 1 – 3 admit postings per week over the next two weeks, and then a burst of 5 – 8+.

I just hope I am one of them!!!
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2008, 11:22
langonefall08 wrote:
arorasa, you should write in a detailed letter explaining the job change move. That will leave no doubt in their mind and thus adcom will not guess on you.

BTW, anyone watching US Open. Tiger pulling away....yesterday's 18th hole birdie was a putt to remember!!

I've been glued to it all weekend. Following the espn blog now. Tiger's putting is amazing.

sorry, back to your regularly scheduled program . . .
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2008, 12:14
CFA,

Where did you see the totals? I saw the database but I couldn't see any totals.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2008, 12:31
Quote:
Where did you see the totals? I saw the database but I couldn't see any totals.

There are no totals. I copied and pasted the data into excel and then created a pivot table which summed everything for me.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2008, 12:45
Did it look like any NYU alumni (undergrad) had been admitted?
Also, anyone with under 3 years work experience?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2008, 13:14
Does anyone know what the background check is like, who they contact, etc.? My one concern is that right before I applied, my actual job title changed - my responsibilities are intact if not added upon, but because of organizational shifts, I am now an "analyst" where I was once a "manager". Crappy, but I was hoping this would happen AFTER I applied.

Who would they contact to find out this info? My boss will vouch for me, but if they contacted an HR rep, I'm afraid that they will just look me up in some database and tell them my new title.
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2008, 13:44
Tangaroo wrote:
Does anyone know what the background check is like, who they contact, etc.? My one concern is that right before I applied, my actual job title changed - my responsibilities are intact if not added upon, but because of organizational shifts, I am now an "analyst" where I was once a "manager". Crappy, but I was hoping this would happen AFTER I applied.

Who would they contact to find out this info? My boss will vouch for me, but if they contacted an HR rep, I'm afraid that they will just look me up in some database and tell them my new title.

103-t59285

Unless you went from Director to Analyst, I don't think it would be a big deal. As long as you're telling the truth, and your boss can vouch, you probably needn't worry. The process seems to be not as painful as one may think it to be.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2008, 14:15
Quote:
Did it look like any NYU alumni (undergrad) had been admitted?
Also, anyone with under 3 years work experience?

First, I just checked the database and there are 75 people in there now. Second, it does not list years of experience or age for anyone. Third, I don't want to start talking about the undergrad institutions of the people in the database. I would rather stay away from talking about information NYU could frown on me mentioning. That said, it's NYU and there have been 75 people admitted. One can easily take an educated guess as to whether or not at least 1 out of those 75 people went to NYU undergrad. Asharc, you have access too. If you want to tackle questions like this one, feel free.

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2008, 17:29
la dee dah PM doo doo la dee dah
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2008, 08:53
So I became the Fall's first ding here. Hope I'm the only one. Good luck to everyone! I'll be back next year.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Jun 2008, 09:03
kievdave wrote:
So I became the Fall's first ding here. Hope I'm the only one. Good luck to everyone! I'll be back next year.

Realy sorry to hear this, Dave. I hope you can come back stronger and apply for next year. It seems like reapplies seem to work.

Would you mind sharing your profile by chance?

-----
Just checked your profile on a previous post you made! Wow. You have very respecatble numbers, as well as overall profile including your undergrad institution and major. Your background of working religious area should make you pretty unique as well. I wonder why they dinged you. Do you have any idea? Really sorry to hear this man, and it is also making me worry big time..

Originally posted by yubjun on 18 Jun 2008, 08:59.
Last edited by yubjun on 18 Jun 2008, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2008, 09:02
kievdave wrote:

Wow, I’m shocked. Not only is your GMAT strong, I thought your Ukrainian background was unusual enough to be a plus. I really feel for you and wish you luck next year...

So you know, you can also apply for the spring if you don’t want to wait a year.

But… do you have any insight that you can share with the rest of os on why you may have not been admitted?
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2008, 09:15
kievdave wrote:

Wow. Maybe the the CBS rivalry? Jeesh. You look strong on paper.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2008, 09:17
I am really surprised. Your profile really looks very good. All the very best for the next round.

Believe in yourself.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2008, 09:34
Which program did you apply to??? Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Jun 2008, 10:50
I just received my status update.. I am IN!!! Good luck to the rest of you..

Sorry about your ding kievdave.. Good luck next time..

NYU Fall 08 profiles: http://gmatclub.com/forum/p474295#p474295

Originally posted by BusinessChic on 18 Jun 2008, 10:44.
Last edited by BusinessChic on 18 Jun 2008, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 &nbs [#permalink] 18 Jun 2008, 10:44

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20  ...  60    Next  [ 1200 posts ] 

NYU Langone Fall 2008

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap