It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 08:10

STARTING SOON:

Live Chat with Cornell Adcoms in Main Chat Room  |  R1 Interview Invites: MIT Sloan Chat  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  |  Duke Fuqua Chat (EA Decisions)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU Langone Fall 2008

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2008, 16:33
Congrats to everyone who heard today, and sorry to kievdave. Meanwhile, the wait continues here...

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2008, 17:04
Congrats Businesschic, Tangaroo and Yowas on the admits.

Decision for kievdave is little surprising. Probably they are looking for some more experience. kievdave, are you also considering full time? Full time in top schools may also be a good option for you.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2008, 17:41
Yowas, rock on!

BusinessGuru, no I only chose this one b/c I wanted to stay in the city and continue working. I didn't want to full time b/c I feel that I need to keep the cash flow to support my ongoing ventures and pay back the credit of the previously failed ones. But maybe I should tough it out for a couple of years. Overall, I wanted to start a career change with both work and study. Though considering the international travel of consulting and their MBA-content prep., I'm now leaning towards getting into the right job first and then getting the degree.

Still figuring it out, so any advice helpful.

The fact that I had the MBA epiphany put my entire MBA application together (including GMAT) in under two months probably did me in.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2008, 22:26
kievdave, In your situation, 100% go for full time, regardless of your credit situation. MBA is like 401k. The earlier you invest the more you'll benefit - there's a compounding interest every year, every day. And everyone knows you really get the most benefit with full time. You have the profile to get to a top full time program. Just spend more time in writing the essays, and having a good marketting strategy, and I think you'll do well. You will be able to pay off all your debt after you graduate fairly easily.

I wish I had the chance. My horrendous undergrad gpa basically eliminated my chances at top full time program early in my career. Only after i did grad school and having cosndierable number of years in experience, did my chance improve enough to apply. But if I had the chance, I'd go for full time in a heartbeat, when my career was still begining, like yours is.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2008, 22:29
You guys, undergrad gpa doesn't factor much into play unless you're aiming for H/S. It really doesn't esp if you have an exceptional gmat or work exp. Don't stress over gpa too much. Trust me.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2008, 05:44
kidderek wrote:
You guys, undergrad gpa doesn't factor much into play unless you're aiming for H/S. It really doesn't esp if you have an exceptional gmat or work exp. Don't stress over gpa too much. Trust me.

I totally agree with this. If you didn't do amazing in college, you can definitely make up for it with a solid performance afterwards. Getting into B-school isn't all about your numbers. Soooo many people make the mistake of thinking they're definitely in with a high GPA and GMAT. If that's all the person has to offer, that person will watch the dings come in across the board:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t62142

Granted, that thread focuses on high GMAT people because for some reason they make no mention of GPA. The point is clear though. Getting in is more than just numbers. Show solid leadership ability in your personal life and convey that message clearly in your essays and you'll have a better shot at getting in than a guy with great numbers and no leadership qualities. They want quality people that will add to their community rather than a smart robot. At the end of the day, adcom is trying to build a community of people. If you properly demonstrate what you can positively add to their community, you can overcome a bad number.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient but I do love Fig Newtons!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2008, 06:33
Congrats Tangaroo and Yowas...this is excellent news!

Believe in yourself.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2008, 07:11
Can anyone provide an update on the number of students in the database right now?

Believe in yourself.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2008, 07:36
I see 98 in the database..

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2008, 07:40
CFACharterholder22 wrote:
kidderek wrote:

I don't know if I completely agree with that statement. Although I agree that high GPA and GMAT score doesn't guarantee you a spot at top MBA school, low GPA and/or GMAT can automatically get you out regardless of your other achievements. For example, if I had 2.1 GPA at some lowly undergrad school with 600 GMAT score, there is just no way I'm getting into NYU. It's a waste time and effort and money to even consider applying.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2008, 08:40
i don't think undergrad GPA matters that much, unless you have less than 2.5. i had a 2.9 undergrad GPA, but was accepted.

i think what really matters is that your essays are solid and that you have good career progression, leadership experience, extracurriculars, etc. most importantly, i think you need to stand out from the crowd somehow or show adcom something different that you can bring to the table because they want the class to be diverse.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2008, 09:34
Hello all,

I am new on this forum. Firstly, congrat to all who get in!!!

I believe school like NYU may use GMAT score as a filter and go thru the applications with high GMAT score first. I applied for both NYU, on May 5 and Fordham, on May 30. With my low GMAT score, low undergrad GPA and lack of extracurriculars, I thought I would not be able to receive any offer. Surprisingly, I got the admission email from Fordham yesterday!!! I think I really want to go for NYU but at this point, I believe my chance is very low....

Here is my info:
-gmat: 620 (Q:49, V: 27)
-undergrad gpa: 3.12 (CS major)
-grad gpa: 3.8 (CS major, with with graduate citation)
-12 Years of work experience (IT consultant; IT manager; Currently working at a big investment bank as a senior network security analyst/ global leader, a lot of global experience with counterparts worldwide. I believe I have good career progression. My salary has increased 5x since I started my career.)
-company 100% sponsor for mba
-promotion and event coordinator at a Chinese Kung Fu club
-professional certifications: CISSP, CISA, MCSE, CCNA, SCSA, CNE, PCLP

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2008, 10:25
Yubjun, I was arguing that you can overcome undergrad GPA alone. My last sentence said you can overcome a bad number, not two bad numbers. Also, by a bad number, I wasn't talking about a 2.0 to failing type of GPA. I should have made that more clear. I'm just saying that the further away you get from undergrad, the more time you have to repair any damage you did to your chances from undergrad. The point is that people with a 2.5 undergrad still have a shot at the top 15 schools. They should not rule themselves out, especially if they have been working for 5 or more years. There are a lot of things you can do with those years to show you are worthy of admission.

Another thing that's worth pointing out is that my best friend's girlfriend went to undergrad with me and she got in to the Spring 2008 class with a 3.0 and a 600 GMAT. Both of those are around the 10th percentile mark. She didn't rule herself out and wrote great essays and she's already where we all want to be. So mbanewyorker, don't give up on yourself because it's possible. I'm sure everyone in our little gmatclub community is rooting for you. Welcome and good luck!

Last edited by CFACharterholder22 on 19 Jun 2008, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2008, 10:36
mbanewyorker wrote:
Hello all,

I am new on this forum. Firstly, congrat to all who get in!!!

I believe school like NYU may use GMAT score as a filter and go thru the applications with high GMAT score first. I applied for both NYU, on May 5 and Fordham, on May 30. With my low GMAT score, low undergrad GPA and lack of extracurriculars, I thought I would not be able to receive any offer. Surprisingly, I got the admission email from Fordham yesterday!!! I think I really want to go for NYU but at this point, I believe my chance is very low....

Here is my info:
-gmat: 620 (Q:49, V: 27)
-undergrad gpa: 3.12 (CS major)
-grad gpa: 3.8 (CS major, with with graduate citation)
-12 Years of work experience (IT consultant; IT manager; Currently working at a big investment bank as a senior network security analyst/ global leader, a lot of global experience with counterparts worldwide. I believe I have good career progression. My salary has increased 5x since I started my career.)
-company 100% sponsor for mba
-promotion and event coordinator at a Chinese Kung Fu club
-professional certifications: CISSP, CISA, MCSE, CCNA, SCSA, CNE, PCLP

Despite my best wishes otherwise, a high GMAT does not mean you'll know sooner at NYU. After much informed (and uninformed) analysis, the consensus is that it’s completely random and unpredictable.

However, very exceptional applicants do seem to know sooner… CFACharterholder22 is an example of that.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2008, 11:49
Hi CFACharterholder22,

Thank you and others very much for your support!!! I will wait a bit longer and hopefully, I will hear back from them soon.

Oh.. I forget to mention I am 34 (overage for mba I guess...)

From this forum, I can tell students from NYU are all great and I really want to study with them and know them in person too. My company is not really hiring at this moment but I believe, with my connections, I will be able to help other students, who are interested, get into investment banks in the coming years. Thanks.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2008, 05:48
Congrats Tangaroo and Yowas on your admits !!

Can Friday be considered as a notification day ??

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2008, 06:13
Quote:

Every business day is a notification day. I've been watching the totals in the database at the end of each day to prove or disprove the Tuesday & Friday notification day assumption.

6/13 - 67
6/16 - 75
6/17 - 79
6/18 - 98
6/19 - 104

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2008, 06:39
CFACharterholder22 wrote:
Quote:

Every business day is a notification day. I've been watching the totals in the database at the end of each day to prove or disprove the Tuesday & Friday notification day assumption.

6/13 - 67
6/16 - 75
6/17 - 79
6/18 - 98
6/19 - 104

As I understand it, there is a lag of several days between when you get admitted and when you appear on the database. It seems that this fact would make it hard to use the appearance of new names on the database as a means for determining which days are good for notification.

However, I did a little research on past threads and they back up your point that any day is good. There is one exception: Thursday. I have not seen a single post indicating that someone was notified on a Thursday.

Here is a ranked list of notification days (based on gut feel from reading a lot of past threads):

1) Tuesday
2) Wednesday
3) Friday
4) Monday

Between 9 and 11 AM seems to be the best time, but any time during the day is possible. I presume, since the office closes at 6PM (2PM on Fridays), that receiving notification after this time is not likely.

Of course… if I got my own notification, I’d probably spend less time thinking about these things!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2008, 07:06
I thought the database count is only updated once someone pays the deposit?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2008, 07:39
Tangaroo wrote:
I thought the database count is only updated once someone pays the deposit?

That's what I noticed from the previous threads. Also, there is a bit of lag from what the database shows and the actual number.

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2008, 07:39

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22  ...  60    Next  [ 1200 posts ] 

NYU Langone Fall 2008

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap