It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 14:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU Langone Fall 2008

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2008, 08:57
CFACharterholder22 wrote:
Yubjun, I was arguing that you can overcome undergrad GPA alone. My last sentence said you can overcome a bad number, not two bad numbers. Also, by a bad number, I wasn't talking about a 2.0 to failing type of GPA. I should have made that more clear. I'm just saying that the further away you get from undergrad, the more time you have to repair any damage you did to your chances from undergrad. The point is that people with a 2.5 undergrad still have a shot at the top 15 schools. They should not rule themselves out, especially if they have been working for 5 or more years. There are a lot of things you can do with those years to show you are worthy of admission.

Another thing that's worth pointing out is that my best friend's girlfriend went to undergrad with me and she got in to the Spring 2008 class with a 3.0 and a 600 GMAT. Both of those are around the 10th percentile mark. She didn't rule herself out and wrote great essays and she's already where we all want to be. So mbanewyorker, don't give up on yourself because it's possible. I'm sure everyone in our little gmatclub community is rooting for you. Welcome and good luck!

All true statements. If I thought I had no chance with 2.5, I would not have applied to NYU. :) I did not, however, early in my career, which is the point I was making in my earlier post. Anyway, I wish I find out a result - any result, ASAP, so I can take my next steps!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2008, 13:47
Just an FYI, I read on another board that the Kroll verification takes 3 to 4 weeks.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient but I do love Fig Newtons!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2008, 15:30
I think 3 to 4 weeks is normal for verification process. From my personal experience, the background check from some big firms can easily take that long. Some financial firms may hire you before they finish the background check and fire you after 2 weeks if they find any fake application info. (I did see this happened before)

Anyway, if all submitted info are correct, there is nothing to worry about... just relax and enjoy.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2008, 15:45
Guys the wait is killing me. I know ad-com was looking at my application on Monday (6/16) as they contacted me via email 2 times. They asked for an updated resume (coz I mentioned that I had changed jobs since applying)

I haven't heard from them since. I am guessing I am going to get dinged or wait listed, any idea how long much time does ad-com spend on one application? I really expected to hear something this past week.

Oh well, best of luck to all waiting.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2008, 15:04
This post received
KUDOS
Hang in there. Speed of the response is not the most important factor here, as I learned. Don't give up, we're all rooting for you.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 08:42
Hey earlier admits (nyu08, asharc, CFACharterHolder22) - have your Kroll checks completed yet? If so, how long did it take and what sort of notification did you recieve? Also, did you happen to find out what sort of checks they did?

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 09:27
Kroll confirmed that they began my verification exactly two weeks ago today. I haven't heard anything yet and have no clue what they're looking into. I would imagine it's just standard stuff like clubs in college, anything you directly referenced in your essays that could be checked, criminal record, work info like titles, years and salary, resume, etc. Anything you put on your application is fair game so I can imagine it takes 3 to 4 weeks to check all of that stuff. They could probably do it quicker but what's the rush?

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 09:41
Thanks! I got the email that they received the consent form yesterday. No rush, but it bugs me how this acceptance isn't really "final" yet! One more thing to over-think and be paranoid about!

Anyone else hear back?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 09:56
I'm still waiting to hear back from NYU about the verification. Haven't heard anything from Kroll, but I think we're only supposed to get a confirmation from NYU, not Kroll, that states we passed the verification. According to the online form I filled out for Kroll, it looks like they check academic institution (completion date and major), current employer (salary, title, start date), and one previous employer (salary, title, employment dates). It's been over 2 weeks since Kroll received my materials. Hoping to hear from them soon.

Intern
Intern

WAITLISTED [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 11:05
Folks, looks like the first one to be waitlisted here! Damn, I am dissapointed. The loooong wait continues for me...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: WAITLISTED [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 11:59
arorasa wrote:
Folks, looks like the first one to be waitlisted here! Damn, I am dissapointed. The loooong wait continues for me...

I feel for you… I think I dread the waitlist the most. On the plus side, you’re still in the running. Good luck!

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 12:03
I think WL on the part time level is not nearly as bad as FT. I base this thought purely on the fact that Stern continues to accept applications past its deadline, seemingly every year.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 12:05
I feel that the status check site is an act of torture, especially on a Tuesday / Wednesday. I am determined not to let it beat me, thus I resist the desire to check it every 15 minutes. I am mostly successful in that fight…

However, I have to say I have come to dread the words, “Thank you for applying to the Langone Part-time MBA program at NYU Stern. We have received your application…”

Anyway, would any of the admitted folk be kind enough to post the latest database count?

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 12:15
It's been on 104 since Friday evening. They usually don't put admits in the database until around 4:30 each day so that number could change in the next hour or so. If it does, I'll post the new number.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 14:01
Kroll confirmed that they began my verification exactly two weeks ago today. I haven't heard anything yet and have no clue what they're looking into. I would imagine it's just standard stuff like clubs in college, anything you directly referenced in your essays that could be checked, criminal record, work info like titles, years and salary, resume, etc. Anything you put on your application is fair game so I can imagine it takes 3 to 4 weeks to check all of that stuff. They could probably do it quicker but what's the rush?

I can totally see them verifying work experience, school GPA etc., but I would be SHOCKED if they actually checked clubs you attended to in College, or references you made on the essay. Again, highly unlikely IMO, but what do I know.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 14:15
yubjun wrote:

I can totally see them verifying work experience, school GPA etc., but I would be SHOCKED if they actually checked clubs you attended to in College, or references you made on the essay. Again, highly unlikely IMO, but what do I know.

I tend to agree, for two reasons. 1) All the little extras are very hard to track. 2) What action would any school possibly take because you lied about being on the glee club in 2004? Probably none... therefore, why bother checking (and adding to your investigation cost)?

I'm guessing they'll hit the big items. Lie about a job, salary, certifications, major awards, etc. and you're probably in trouble. Lie about saving stray cats and your probably safe. Not that anyone should lie on a b-school application for any reason whatsoever....

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2008, 14:24
This post received
KUDOS
There are 124 people in the database now.

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2008, 08:44
I received my status update this morning…

I am IN!!!

I am so excited and relieved!! The weight of the wait is finally off my back!

---------------------------

My profile, for those who are curious…

GMAT: 750 (47q / 46v / 5.0AWA)
GPA: 3.37
WE: 10 years in manufacturing / Quality engineering

I had quite a bit of undergrad weirdness, especially early on. Also, I completed my BS degree much later than normal, on a part time basis. My undergrad track was so unconventional that I was very nervous about my application, even though the rest of my profile was really solid and my overall GPA was in the normal range.

I think my strong late undergrad performance (4.0GPA for the last 40 credits) combined with my gmat really outweighed the 3 or 4 atrocious semesters I had.

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2008, 08:53
Congrats Tenore.

btw, was there a doubt?

Tenore wrote:
I received my status update this morning…

I am IN!!!

I am so excited and relieved!! The weight of the wait is finally off my back!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2008, 08:59
Tenore wrote:
I am IN!!!

Congrats, 750 GMAT / 10 yrs exp and a non IT/Finance background. Should have been a easy pick for adcom.

Great job !!

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2008, 08:59

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  60    Next  [ 1200 posts ]