Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]
Most programs are in reality 18 months... two nine months sessions with a three month internship between them.

Correct me if I am wrong..

~Sam
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:
Most programs are in reality 18 months... two nine months sessions with a three month internship between them.

Correct me if I am wrong..

~Sam

But the B-week School profiles term "other" programs to be 21 or 24 months. Can it be possible that HBS has an 18 month course 'with' internship??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
https://www.clearadmit.com/sg_hbs.html

Does anybody know whether this guide for HBS from Clear Admit is worth the money?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I thought the UCLA Anderson guide I bought was pretty good. I would say worth the money.
petercoolz wrote:
https://www.clearadmit.com/sg_hbs.html

Does anybody know whether this guide for HBS from Clear Admit is worth the money?
Current Student
Send PM
Gang..i am reviewing my essays..and i kinda fell that HBS questions dont really ask much about the individuals uniqueness..i mean there is no opportunity in the essays to really talk about my unique background..i feel its a plain vanilla name your top3 accomplishments, what did you learn from your failure..talk about your undergrad experience..talk about your career vision..

well i feel they should have at least allowed 5 essays.. 4 is just not getting my personality out in paper..

what are your thoughts???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Hi fresinha,

I think the key component of HBS essay #1 is "...and why do you view them as such?" This would be a good opportunity to insert a unique aspect of your application, i.e. "Accomplishment x is important to me because I learned growing up in Mexico that..."

If you have any unique stories to share from your undergraduate experience it may be worthwhile to mention them as well. An example I will mention is having devoted a lot of time tutoring while in school, and of course explaining the motivation behind doing so.

Although I agree with you that the essay questions may not lend themselves to key differentiations as much as other schools', I do believe there is plenty of opportunity to sprinkle in short anecdotes (even if its one sentence) throughout your essays.

fresinha12 wrote:
Gang..i am reviewing my essays..and i kinda fell that HBS questions dont really ask much about the individuals uniqueness..i mean there is no opportunity in the essays to really talk about my unique background..i feel its a plain vanilla name your top3 accomplishments, what did you learn from your failure..talk about your undergrad experience..talk about your career vision..

well i feel they should have at least allowed 5 essays.. 4 is just not getting my personality out in paper..

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
TL wrote:
Hi fresinha,

I think the key component of HBS essay #1 is "...and why do you view them as such?" This would be a good opportunity to insert a unique aspect of your application, i.e. "Accomplishment x is important to me because I learned growing up in Mexico that..."

If you have any unique stories to share from your undergraduate experience it may be worthwhile to mention them as well. An example I will mention is having devoted a lot of time tutoring while in school, and of course explaining the motivation behind doing so.

Although I agree with you that the essay questions may not lend themselves to key differentiations as much as other schools', I do believe there is plenty of opportunity to sprinkle in short anecdotes (even if its one sentence) throughout your essays.

fresinha12 wrote:

It specfically mentions undergraduate academic experience, not extracurricular
Current Student
Send PM
with 600 words i am afraid you cant really say much in essay 1..

I feel that HBS should have allowed a 5th essay maybe they should have allowed 3 of the 4 optional essays..

like...i really love Kellogs and even wharton questions they really allow me to set myself apart.

I am afraid HBS is really looking for people with numbers..i.e high gmat, high gpa and not much work experience..

Lets discuss essay 1. 3 biggest accomplishment and why do you think they are big?..in 600 words.. so the obvious would be ...i am a fresh college grad working in a PE firm and structured a $billion deal..and thats why i feel its important..cus its $billion..

TL wrote:
Hi fresinha,

fresinha12 wrote:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
It specfically mentions undergraduate academic experience, not extracurricular

i view tutoring as another form of learning course material, and therefore consider it an extension of my academic experience. point well taken nonetheless :)

fresinha, i believe the overall strategy for any set of essays remains the same. determine the unique aspects of your application and then identify places to intricately weave them into your answers. you need not go into incredible detail.

just my $.02 really :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Have you guys uploaded your transcripts yet? I filled out the transcript form, but don't see the slot for the additional school (if I took courses at a community college, etc.). The form says to mark such classes with an asterisk and to list the additional school in the appropriate space below. Unfortunately, the form doesn't seem to have a space dedicated for the additional school. Any thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
All --

What are everyone's thoughts regarding essay 3.1? Is this an essay to explain some odd circumstance for why you got a 1.9 GPA your soph year? Or is this truly an essay where I can talk about other things (e.g. I graduated in 3 years -- why did I do this? why did I TA and tutor classes? etc...)

Thoughts?

Matt
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
 Q50  V38
Send PM
I think the keyword is "academic experience" , this to me does not mean what you did in undergrad, or for you to explain away a GPA. To me this is more about your classes and what you learned.

MattG2185 wrote:
All --

What are everyone's thoughts regarding essay 3.1? Is this an essay to explain some odd circumstance for why you got a 1.9 GPA your soph year? Or is this truly an essay where I can talk about other things (e.g. I graduated in 3 years -- why did I do this? why did I TA and tutor classes? etc...)

Thoughts?

Matt
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
I think the keyword is "academic experience" , this to me does not mean what you did in undergrad, or for you to explain away a GPA. To me this is more about your classes and what you learned.

MattG2185 wrote:
All --

Thoughts?

Matt

I agree. I do not think it's the best place for a defensive sort of explanation. That is probably best suited for the short "anything else you'd like to tell us" part of the data form.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
How's everyone doing on R1 apps? We're in the home stretch!
Current Student
Send PM
I am almost 90% done with my final review of essays..2 of my 3 recommenders are done..actually called my 3rd recemmender to inform him that he would be serving as a backup now..i am pursuing another recommender, if I can get a letter from him it will go a long way..so I am debating if I should wait out till R2...
Current Student
Send PM
I am almost 90% done with my final review of essays..2 of my 3 recommenders are done..actually called my 3rd recemmender to inform him that he would be serving as a backup now..i am pursuing another recommender, if I can get a letter from him it will go a long way..so I am debating if I should wait out till R2...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
all done as of october 1...let's get this party started!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  37   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts