Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]
HBS will be VERY tough if you have lots of w/e, unless you are ex-military or did something unique. Most of the kids I met at Wharton Welcome Weekend were absolutely fabulous, but had gotten dinged by HBS b/c they had 5-6 years experience (typical example: a guy with 3 yrs in M&A at Lazard, and 2 years in a top PE firm; one guy with 3 years at McK and 2 years in early stage VC). So good luck but just know it's tough if you are over 27
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
Most of the kids I met at Wharton Welcome Weekend were absolutely fabulous, but had gotten dinged by HBS b/c they had 5-6 years experience

Kids having 5-6 yrs. exp.??? how old are you?? 80??? :P
Nah..... I m not worried as I m 24 now....... 25 when hopefully matriculate........ So, this news is roses for me, but I was concerned about the motive behind this "innovation".....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Wow, you are all starting early. I will sticky this thread for a while so that people dont start multiple threads.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
I think that I do have something special to offer as I have extensive leadership experience in the community and at work. HBS would be the best fit and I love the case method. I would be happy with Wharton but I really want HBS. If they base their choices on age then it is too bad. Hopefully that won't be an issue. I mean , I am not that old... lol

I feel really old now... :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Both HBS and Stanford (and to some degree Wharton, just not as much) are targetting younger applicants to compete with the top quality students that come out of college that are "lost" to law and medical schools. Think about it, how many people did you know in undergrad that talked about going to business school right after college. Everyone I knew went to get an MS, a JD, or an MD. HBS also uses the reason that they want to target younger women because many drop out of the work force around age 30. Not sure how strong of a motivator that is. I think they want the top talent coming right out of UG. Hence the addition of the 2+2 program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Best of luck to everyone. I'll be matriculating in the fall and would be more than happy to answer any questions that anyone has (either now or down the road).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ncprasad wrote:
Wow, you are all starting early. I will sticky this thread for a while so that people dont start multiple threads.

WOW I stickied...... gr8...... and yes all that advice by everyone that we should start as early as possible surely has paid.....

sonibubu wrote:
Both HBS and Stanford (and to some degree Wharton, just not as much) are targetting younger applicants to compete with the top quality students that come out of college that are "lost" to law and medical schools. Think about it, how many people did you know in undergrad that talked about going to business school right after college. Everyone I knew went to get an MS, a JD, or an MD. HBS also uses the reason that they want to target younger women because many drop out of the work force around age 30. Not sure how strong of a motivator that is. I think they want the top talent coming right out of UG. Hence the addition of the 2+2 program.

Young women??? WOW..... sure is a motivator for us guys......... :lol:
This is quite a valid point...... I think HBS is looking for this PLUS I think it is looking for the sharper academic skills....... Since younger students are relatively fresh out of coll. they can slog more in class........

dox wrote:
Best of luck to everyone. I'll be matriculating in the fall and would be more than happy to answer any questions that anyone has (either now or down the road).

Gr8 to have a current student between us..... btw, how old are you??
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
dox wrote:

-Mind sharing your background + stats?

-How many 27+ people did you see at HBS admit weekend?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
dox wrote:

-Mind sharing your background + stats?

-How many 27+ people did you see at HBS admit weekend?

My background is in healthcare research and entrepreneurship. I would definitely consider myself a non-traditional applicant, so my personal info may not be especially useful to most. One thing that likely worked in my favor is HBS' increased emphasis on the biomedical sector, as exemplified by the newly introduced life sciences fellowship, the only 100% merit based funding that the school offers. My GMAT was 740 (albeit heavily slanted towards verbal) and my GPA was 4.0 for both BSc and MSc. To answer questions that I suspect will be asked later, I applied in the second round, was notified of an interview about a week after they started sending out invites, interviewed on campus, and was pretty ambivalent as to my performance on the interview; I didn't feel that I bombed nor did I feel that I nailed it.

I'll be 26 at matriculation. It's tough to put a firm number on the number 27+ admits that I met last weekend as it's not something I specifically asked of anyone. That being said, based on the admits I met and a casual perusal of the classcards, I would guess that the "average" admit is 26-27. I met a couple of admits directly out of undergard and there was at least a handful that were 30+. While it's obviously easy for me to say, I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the age issue. Rather, I would focus my energies towards some serious career reflection and personal introspection to enable you to craft a clear and concise story in your essays. Whether you are 21 or 29, the way in which you present yourself will have the most bearing on your admission - and incidentally it’s the only area that you have full control over. If there was a single item that I felt made the difference in separating my application from the equally well-qualified pack, it was the time and energy that I put into my essays.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Dox - congrats

I hope you will be available for us to pick your brain about the Harvard process. I like many others on this board am interested in applying fully cognizant that my chances are at best very very slim :cry:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
OK guys..... here's another food for thought.....
How does HBS gets its phenomenal brand???
Anyone???? 8-)

I read this article here
https://theincarnated.blogspot.com/2008/04/harvard-isnt-that-gr8-enjoy.html
Copy pasting........

"A Flood of Crimson Ink", By Michael Steinberger
Another academic year is drawing to a close, another year in which Harvard has generated vastly more headlines than any other American university. Most of these, of late, have concerned Lawrence Summers, Harvard's president, who famously suggested that there may be a biological explanation for the paucity of female scholars in the hard sciences. (He hasn't stopped apologizing since). But a single controversy doesn't account for all the interest. Two recent books are decidedly unflattering to the school: Richard Bradley's "Harvard Rules" is, among other things, an assault on the entire three years of Mr. Summers's tenure, charging him with arrogance and bad manners, among much else. And in "Privilege: Harvard and the Education of the Ruling Class," Ross Douthat, class of 2002, describes his own Harvard education as a combination of vacuous classroom assignments, cruel social climbing and feverish networking.
Of course, a fervid interest in Harvard is nothing out of the ordinary: It is the country's most famous university, with a long claim on distinguished scholarship, political influence and high SAT scores. Most important, the media have long fawned over Harvard, treating its "brand" as pure gold. But while the school may have merited obsessive coverage in the past, it no longer does: Harvard is diminishing in importance as a factory for ideas and a breeding ground for future leaders. In all sorts of ways it is not nearly as pivotal to the life of the nation as it once was. You just wouldn't know that by reading the papers or browsing the bookstands.
Take politics. Harvard has long prided itself on being an incubator of political talent, and for good reason: It has educated seven US presidents, more than any other graduate university. But only two Harvard graduates have been elected president in the last 45 years, and one of them, the current occupant of the Oval Office, holds a Harvard MBA. By contrast, four of the six most recent presidents earned degrees from Yale, and two Yalies squared off in the past election. Moreover, for Democratic office-seekers at least, a Harvard education, with its suggestion of Eastern privilege and liberal elitism, is probably more of a liability than an asset these days.
Harvard also matters less in the business world. It is true that a few Harvard graduates (and one dropout, Bill Gates) have figures prominently in the digital revolution - unquestionably the biggest story in the past decade - but Stanford is a much more prolific supplier of its brainpower. Google, Yahoo!, Cicsco, Sun Microsystems and a raft of other marquee tech firms were partly or wholly incubated on the Stanford campus.
Meanwhile, there are fewer Harvard diplomas hanging in corporate boardrooms. According to the executive search firm Stuart Spencer, the percentage of large-company CEOs holding Harvard MBAs declined to 23% last year from 28% in 1998. Of the Fortune 1000 CEO's appointed so far this year, just one, Corning Wendell Weeks, earned a Harvard MBA. Asked about Harvard's declining presence in the executive suites, Mr. Weeks jokingly told USA Toady, "I've yet to see a study that Harvard creates value."
Quite the opposite, actually. Two years ago, famed hedge-fund manager Victor Niederhoffer (himself a Harvard alumnus) and Laurel Kenner did a study measuring the performance of Nasdaq 100 companies run by Harvard graduates, of which there happened to be an unusually large number at the time. The results were not pretty. Mr. Niederhoffer and Ms. Kenner looked at the nine Nasdaq 100 firms headed by Harvard grads and found that they had, over a five-year period, dramatically underperformed Nasdaq firms run by graduates of the other Ivy League schools, Ivy League equivalents (Stanford, MIT, Berkeley) and state schools.
Harvard is also a much less important intellectual hub than it once was. The University of Chicago, for one, has wielded much more influence in recent decades. It is not an exaggeration to say that Chicago laid the intellectual foundation for the conservative ascendancy and nurtured the ideas that now drive the debate over economic policy, legal theory and foreign affairs. The key ideas of the so-called Reagan Revolution, including monetarism and deregulation, trace their origins back to the free-market theorizing of Chicago's economics department. (One striking measure of the department's clout: Of the 55 economists awarded the Nobel Prize since 1969, when economics was added to the roster, 10 have taught at Chicago and an additional 13 either trained at Chicago or have had previously taught there. Harvard, by contract, has had 4 faculty winners.)
One of those Chicago Nobel laureates, Ronald Coase, is acknowledged to be the godfather of law and economics, unquestionably the most influential branch of legal theory in the past quarter-century. (It applies economic reasoning to legal questions). And while Harvard certainly has its superstars, when you look at the people who have taught at Chicago in the past 40 years or so - Milton Friedman, Richard Posner, Allan Bloom, Leo Strauss, Robert Lucas, Albert Wohlstetter, Richard Epstein, Leon Cass, Saul Bellow, Martha Nussbaum - it is pretty clear which school has been giving off more heat.
So why does Harvard continue to get so much more press than Chicago or any other American university? One possible explanation: Harvard graduates are disproportionately represented in the upper echelons of American journalism. Harvard far surpasses any other university when it comes to cultivating journalistic talent, and all those Harvard-trained reporters and editors do an excellent job of keeping their alma mater in the news.
Young Mr. Douthat is a case in point. In a recent profile of him published in the New York Observer, he explained that he landed his current job with the Atlantic when David Bradley, the magazine's owner, walked into the offices of the Harvard Crimson looking for a few recruits. As for the book, it was commissioned by an editor who had graduated from Harvard several years ahead of Mr. Douthat. Nice connections, if you can get them.

Just one of the possible reasons about why Harvard is so overhyped....... (But I still want to go there..... :lol:)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Not to be the bad guy (thats typically Kryzak's job) but I am unstickying this thread...I think that stickying schools is not a good policy since we want all schools to be treated equally on here. We try to encourage people applying to all schools to participate not just those heading to the ultra elites and personally I think having HBS as a sticky really gives the wrong impression to lurkers and people who show up for the first time. Its hard enough getting people not going for top 20s to speak up.

Guys the thread wont get lost if you guys dont let it...I mean the Columbia thread already is several pages long. We didnt even have threads this early last year for any schools and now there are several with around 100 pages worth of posts.

Might I suggest one of our newly minted mod create a few new threads which can be stickied.
Make an official "pants pooping guide" ours from last fall: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/103-t49416

OR

We had a separate thread as an information guide but you could easily combine the pants pooping guide into it to make it a one stop shop. The info had essays, due dates, and links to the right pages. I made the thread and still was always referencing back to it. I actually had it bookmarked for a while when still debating schools to get timelines, essay questions, and quick links. https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/103-t47836?

Note some links on those threads seem broken from when they changed the board over. But still you should be able to get the idea. Mods can edit posts by anyone so they can simply add info as its released. We did that a lot with dates and essays.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Not to be the bad guy (thats typically Kryzak's job) but I am unstickying this thread....

:x :( :oops: :evil: :cry: .................. :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
Hey guys, I am also here to help with any questions you have about HBS. Below are some tips I have on putting together your application.

Quote:
Essays
The most important thing here is to decide what you really want to convey to the adcom and what stories you will tell. For HBS I suggest that each example displays your leadership ability, and shows that you posses qualities that are critical to leading effectively. Everyone's definition of leadership varies so I suggest that you follow your own belief (personally I think decisiveness, vision, and confidence are critical to leadership). Then you will have to decide which stories line up with the essay questions, which I don't believe is too difficult with HBS' broad range of questions. If you can, take a novel approach to answering a question. I ended up completely changing my culture shock essay 10 days before submitting the application because I realized that culture shock can include much more than travels to other countries.

I suggest that you have your essays reviewed by multiple people, I had two sisters, a current HBS student, and a professional editing service review my essays. If you are a very technical person (Engineer or in IT) I suggest that you have non-technically oriented people review your essays. Always remember that it is your application though and you have the final say in what changes and what stays. While I am on the topic of editing, I have to plug Edit Avenue (https://www.editavenue.com). I had all of my essays reviewed by Fin&Marketing and she was able to provide copy editing and advice on content without charging the ridiculous MBA admissions consultant fees.

I believe the most difficult part of the HBS' essays is meeting the ridiculously short word limits. I ended up removing many of the details from each story and had my editors confirm that the essays still made sense. The essays also lacked smooth transitions because those often take a lot of words. My essays were not pulitzer prize winning works, don't worry if writing is not your strong point, I believe it is one of my weaker points. As long as you can clearly show and not tell your story, your writing should be OK.

Interview
First off, if you get an interview invitation, congrats! When I met my interviewer, I was a little intimidated because he seemed like the type of person that would thoroughly grill you and take pleasure in breaking you down. It turns out that it was actually a very enjoyable experience, and had to be the most comfortable interview I have ever had. I believe everyone is interviewed by an HBS adcom, and it is not a blind interview. The adcom will know your profile very well, and have specific areas that they want to probe into. I prefer this approach because I did not find myself recycling my essay and resume material, it was obvious they already knew that well because it would be used as a spring board for their question.

The only piece of advice I can really offer for the interview is to know yourself!!! I know it sounds stupid, but they will start asking about things you barely even mention in the essays. I spent ~10mins of the interview talking about a topic that was not mentioned in my essays, but he knew my profile well enough to read between the lines. Keep your cool throughout the interview, and if needed, take a second to think things over or ask them to repeat the question. Some people just get too wound up and tense which then makes them panic and blow the interview. I listened to some Linkin Park & Jay-Z before the interview and it got me pumped up and in the right mood, being in the right mental state is half of the battle.

I walked out of the interview very satisfied with how things went. I knew that I put my best foot forward, and had no regrets.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Concentration: Consultant
Schools:HBS '10
Send PM
devansh_god wrote:
OK guys,
I'll go first......
Why do you think HBS is leading the drive to go younger??

1. Because if you have 5 years of w/e, it's really tough to suggest that an MBA will take you to a path of greatness. It then begs the question of whether an EMBA is more suitable (likely).

2. If you're a career switcher, (ie into consulting/banking), then your competition pool is much larger, with many fewer spots. Also, going to consulting/banking is a boring admit story, which is why I think you see more dings in this cohort.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
devansh_god wrote:
OK guys..... here's another food for thought.....
How does HBS gets its phenomenal brand???
Anyone???? 8-)

I read this article here
https://theincarnated.blogspot.com/2008/04/harvard-isnt-that-gr8-enjoy.html
Copy pasting........

"A Flood of Crimson Ink", By Michael Steinberger
Another academic year is drawing to a close, another year in which Harvard has generated vastly more headlines than any other American university. Most of these, of late, have concerned Lawrence Summers, Harvard's president, who famously suggested that there may be a biological explanation for the paucity of female scholars in the hard sciences. (He hasn't stopped apologizing since). But a single controversy doesn't account for all the interest. Two recent books are decidedly unflattering to the school: Richard Bradley's "Harvard Rules" is, among other things, an assault on the entire three years of Mr. Summers's tenure, charging him with arrogance and bad manners, among much else. And in "Privilege: Harvard and the Education of the Ruling Class," Ross Douthat, class of 2002, describes his own Harvard education as a combination of vacuous classroom assignments, cruel social climbing and feverish networking.
Of course, a fervid interest in Harvard is nothing out of the ordinary: It is the country's most famous university, with a long claim on distinguished scholarship, political influence and high SAT scores. Most important, the media have long fawned over Harvard, treating its "brand" as pure gold. But while the school may have merited obsessive coverage in the past, it no longer does: Harvard is diminishing in importance as a factory for ideas and a breeding ground for future leaders. In all sorts of ways it is not nearly as pivotal to the life of the nation as it once was. You just wouldn't know that by reading the papers or browsing the bookstands.
Take politics. Harvard has long prided itself on being an incubator of political talent, and for good reason: It has educated seven US presidents, more than any other graduate university. But only two Harvard graduates have been elected president in the last 45 years, and one of them, the current occupant of the Oval Office, holds a Harvard MBA. By contrast, four of the six most recent presidents earned degrees from Yale, and two Yalies squared off in the past election. Moreover, for Democratic office-seekers at least, a Harvard education, with its suggestion of Eastern privilege and liberal elitism, is probably more of a liability than an asset these days.
Harvard also matters less in the business world. It is true that a few Harvard graduates (and one dropout, Bill Gates) have figures prominently in the digital revolution - unquestionably the biggest story in the past decade - but Stanford is a much more prolific supplier of its brainpower. Google, Yahoo!, Cicsco, Sun Microsystems and a raft of other marquee tech firms were partly or wholly incubated on the Stanford campus.
Meanwhile, there are fewer Harvard diplomas hanging in corporate boardrooms. According to the executive search firm Stuart Spencer, the percentage of large-company CEOs holding Harvard MBAs declined to 23% last year from 28% in 1998. Of the Fortune 1000 CEO's appointed so far this year, just one, Corning Wendell Weeks, earned a Harvard MBA. Asked about Harvard's declining presence in the executive suites, Mr. Weeks jokingly told USA Toady, "I've yet to see a study that Harvard creates value."
Quite the opposite, actually. Two years ago, famed hedge-fund manager Victor Niederhoffer (himself a Harvard alumnus) and Laurel Kenner did a study measuring the performance of Nasdaq 100 companies run by Harvard graduates, of which there happened to be an unusually large number at the time. The results were not pretty. Mr. Niederhoffer and Ms. Kenner looked at the nine Nasdaq 100 firms headed by Harvard grads and found that they had, over a five-year period, dramatically underperformed Nasdaq firms run by graduates of the other Ivy League schools, Ivy League equivalents (Stanford, MIT, Berkeley) and state schools.
Harvard is also a much less important intellectual hub than it once was. The University of Chicago, for one, has wielded much more influence in recent decades. It is not an exaggeration to say that Chicago laid the intellectual foundation for the conservative ascendancy and nurtured the ideas that now drive the debate over economic policy, legal theory and foreign affairs. The key ideas of the so-called Reagan Revolution, including monetarism and deregulation, trace their origins back to the free-market theorizing of Chicago's economics department. (One striking measure of the department's clout: Of the 55 economists awarded the Nobel Prize since 1969, when economics was added to the roster, 10 have taught at Chicago and an additional 13 either trained at Chicago or have had previously taught there. Harvard, by contract, has had 4 faculty winners.)
One of those Chicago Nobel laureates, Ronald Coase, is acknowledged to be the godfather of law and economics, unquestionably the most influential branch of legal theory in the past quarter-century. (It applies economic reasoning to legal questions). And while Harvard certainly has its superstars, when you look at the people who have taught at Chicago in the past 40 years or so - Milton Friedman, Richard Posner, Allan Bloom, Leo Strauss, Robert Lucas, Albert Wohlstetter, Richard Epstein, Leon Cass, Saul Bellow, Martha Nussbaum - it is pretty clear which school has been giving off more heat.
So why does Harvard continue to get so much more press than Chicago or any other American university? One possible explanation: Harvard graduates are disproportionately represented in the upper echelons of American journalism. Harvard far surpasses any other university when it comes to cultivating journalistic talent, and all those Harvard-trained reporters and editors do an excellent job of keeping their alma mater in the news.
Young Mr. Douthat is a case in point. In a recent profile of him published in the New York Observer, he explained that he landed his current job with the Atlantic when David Bradley, the magazine's owner, walked into the offices of the Harvard Crimson looking for a few recruits. As for the book, it was commissioned by an editor who had graduated from Harvard several years ahead of Mr. Douthat. Nice connections, if you can get them.

Just one of the possible reasons about why Harvard is so overhyped....... (But I still want to go there..... :lol:)

Interesting article, but a little too political, economic and business focused to truly assess the importance of a university. I would say that one of the reasons why Harvard is seen as such an institutional gold standard is because of how great or excellent it is in virtually every field. Sure Chicago might be better in economics, Yale in politics and Stanford in tech business. But it's telling that one school (Harvard) is being compared to three different schools. What about Stanford in politics? What about Yale in business? What about Chicago in politics? More importantly, we've ignored the vast number of other fields in which Harvard excels...medicine, law, other social sciences, public health, education, biology, science, math, etc. etc.

One telling quantitative analysis, while too research-focused to be perfectly analagous, is Shanghai University's university rankings. Harvard consistently gets #1, meaning it gets the indexed score of 100. This year's #2, Stanford, gets an indexed score of 73. That is a major difference.

I really don't think that Harvard, overall, is over-hyped. Its historical and ongoing impact on education and research is ridiculously significant.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Forcefeed,

Did you visit HBS before you applied? Does visiting the school add a lot of value to your applications? I know that other schools like to see visits mentioned in essays because it shows an interest in the school, but I'm wondering if HBS really cares whether you show interest in the school due to their ranking/yield?

forcefeed wrote:
Hey guys, I am also here to help with any questions you have about HBS. Below are some tips I have on putting together your application.

Quote:
Essays
The most important thing here is to decide what you really want to convey to the adcom and what stories you will tell. For HBS I suggest that each example displays your leadership ability, and shows that you posses qualities that are critical to leading effectively. Everyone's definition of leadership varies so I suggest that you follow your own belief (personally I think decisiveness, vision, and confidence are critical to leadership). Then you will have to decide which stories line up with the essay questions, which I don't believe is too difficult with HBS' broad range of questions. If you can, take a novel approach to answering a question. I ended up completely changing my culture shock essay 10 days before submitting the application because I realized that culture shock can include much more than travels to other countries.

I suggest that you have your essays reviewed by multiple people, I had two sisters, a current HBS student, and a professional editing service review my essays. If you are a very technical person (Engineer or in IT) I suggest that you have non-technically oriented people review your essays. Always remember that it is your application though and you have the final say in what changes and what stays. While I am on the topic of editing, I have to plug Edit Avenue (https://www.editavenue.com). I had all of my essays reviewed by Fin&Marketing and she was able to provide copy editing and advice on content without charging the ridiculous MBA admissions consultant fees.

I believe the most difficult part of the HBS' essays is meeting the ridiculously short word limits. I ended up removing many of the details from each story and had my editors confirm that the essays still made sense. The essays also lacked smooth transitions because those often take a lot of words. My essays were not pulitzer prize winning works, don't worry if writing is not your strong point, I believe it is one of my weaker points. As long as you can clearly show and not tell your story, your writing should be OK.

Interview
First off, if you get an interview invitation, congrats! When I met my interviewer, I was a little intimidated because he seemed like the type of person that would thoroughly grill you and take pleasure in breaking you down. It turns out that it was actually a very enjoyable experience, and had to be the most comfortable interview I have ever had. I believe everyone is interviewed by an HBS adcom, and it is not a blind interview. The adcom will know your profile very well, and have specific areas that they want to probe into. I prefer this approach because I did not find myself recycling my essay and resume material, it was obvious they already knew that well because it would be used as a spring board for their question.

The only piece of advice I can really offer for the interview is to know yourself!!! I know it sounds stupid, but they will start asking about things you barely even mention in the essays. I spent ~10mins of the interview talking about a topic that was not mentioned in my essays, but he knew my profile well enough to read between the lines. Keep your cool throughout the interview, and if needed, take a second to think things over or ask them to repeat the question. Some people just get too wound up and tense which then makes them panic and blow the interview. I listened to some Linkin Park & Jay-Z before the interview and it got me pumped up and in the right mood, being in the right mental state is half of the battle.

I walked out of the interview very satisfied with how things went. I knew that I put my best foot forward, and had no regrets.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  37   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts