Last visit was: 09 Jun 2024, 07:20 It is currently 09 Jun 2024, 07:20
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.6 - Top public
WE 1: Investment Management
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Ross, Cornell ($), Kellogg, Wharton, Stanford, Berkeley ($$)
 Q44  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Schools:Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink]
Congrats to everyone who received an interview invite. If y'all are coming to campus PM me...happy to show y'all around. G'luck.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Man, this is going to be a long five weeks while I await the decision from Wharton. I walked out of that interview thinking I absolutely nailed it. Since that day, I keep thinking of how I could have improved my responses, and as such, thinking maybe I didn't do as well as I initially estimated.

As a member of what should be a large application group (white male with a finance background) going into an industry that the school is currently having trouble placing graduates in (IB and eventually PE), I wonder how they were planning to use my interview. If they use my interview to guage my ability to methodically answer questions and maintain a polished and professional demeanor during conversations, along with my ability to establish awesome rapport (which the interviewer and I certainly had), then perhaps my interview will be a positive aspect of my application. But, if they are going to use my interview to attempt to extract additional information regarding my motivation behind my goals, outside the information that can be extracted from my application, then my interview may not help me rise to the top of my bucket.

It's difficult to determine whether I am in the "we want to admit this person" or the "we have doubts about this person, but let's bring him into interview for a waitlist spot" pre-interview group. If it's the former, I don't think I did enough to change their minds. If it's the latter, sadly, I don't think I did enough to change their minds there either.

Have any of you former admits (from last year or before) had waffling thoughts regarding your interviews the more you thought about it, only to receive good news about an admit?

Originally posted by MeddlingKid on 18 Nov 2008, 09:02.
Last edited by MeddlingKid on 18 Nov 2008, 10:03, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Snayt wrote:
Guys, do you know how long could it take to get a response from alumni?
I wrote a message asking for an interview but haven't got any response so far :?

Hi Snayt-

I emailed one of the 3 alumni in my country the day I got my interview invite, no response. After a week I emailed another guy, who was willing to interview me but suggested I interview with another Wharton alumni he knew who lived a lot closer. The closer alumni is now going about trying to get his information into the Wharton system so I can interview by him. My goal is to get everything wrapped up my the end of Nov. But definitely don't hesitate to email another alumni after 3-4 business days of no response.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Schools:IESE
 Q47  V35
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
Snayt wrote:
Guys, do you know how long could it take to get a response from alumni?
I wrote a message asking for an interview but haven't got any response so far :?

Hi Snayt-

I emailed one of the 3 alumni in my country the day I got my interview invite, no response. After a week I emailed another guy, who was willing to interview me but suggested I interview with another Wharton alumni he knew who lived a lot closer. The closer alumni is now going about trying to get his information into the Wharton system so I can interview by him. My goal is to get everything wrapped up my the end of Nov. But definitely don't hesitate to email another alumni after 3-4 business days of no response.

Thank you for your advice.
Today I have finally received response from one alumnus and scheduled my interview.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
MeddlingKid wrote:
Man, this is going to be a long five weeks while I await the decision from Wharton. I walked out of that interview thinking I absolutely nailed it. Since that day, I keep thinking of how I could have improved my responses, and as such, thinking maybe I didn't do as well as I initially estimated.

As a member of what should be a large application group (white male with a finance background) going into an industry that the school is currently having trouble placing graduates in (IB and eventually PE), I wonder how they were planning to use my interview. If they use my interview to guage my ability to methodically answer questions and maintain a polished and professional demeanor during conversations, along with my ability to establish awesome rapport (which the interviewer and I certainly had), then perhaps my interview will be a positive aspect of my application. But, if they are going to use my interview to attempt to extract additional information regarding my motivation behind my goals, outside the information that can be extracted from my application, then my interview may not help me rise to the top of my bucket.

It's difficult to determine whether I am in the "we want to admit this person" or the "we have doubts about this person, but let's bring him into interview for a waitlist spot" pre-interview group. If it's the former, I don't think I did enough to change their minds. If it's the latter, sadly, I don't think I did enough to change their minds there either.

Have any of you former admits (from last year or before) had waffling thoughts regarding your interviews the more you thought about it, only to receive good news about an admit?

It's a classic process: you get out of there with a positive feeling, then you start thinking about it, and tell yourself "man, I could have done that and that better, that answer was crap", etc. I don't know how good a judge you are of yourself (have you been completely surprised before after an interview in the negative sense?), but from what I hear, there is nothing you could have done more. If they don't accept you, it won't be because of your interview.

PS: who did you have? Remember the name?
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Audio wrote:
levfin2003 wrote:
I had my interview today.

It was friendly but detailed. Questions included:

i) Walk me through you resume
ii) Short-term and long-term goals?
iii) Why MBA? Why Wharton?
iv) What extracurricular activities will you participate in?
v) What do you think about outsourcing jobs to India? --- we were talking about globalization and international economy at that point.
vi) Do you enjoy working in teams?
vii) Have you been to Philly?
viii) What other schools are you applying to?

I guess besides the last question, I did very well in all parts. The interviewer said I will be a strong applicant.

My advice to everyone is to practice (i) your story / goals, (ii) why MBA, why Wharton, and (iii) how will you contribute/differentiate really well. These seem to be the most important questions. The other questions can vary from person to person.

Goodluck to all!

Classic interview, no tough question. If even the interviewer said you were a strong applicant, it should be in the pocket. Looks like I'll be seeing you next year, congrats! (unless you sell your soul to HBS or Stanford).

Thanks for the encouragement. I am not sure if its in the pocket but I know I am a good applicant. What worries me is exactly how bad the competition will be this year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hey people

I completed my interview(HUB) yesterday. The interviewer was friendly, warm and was trying to make the candidates comfortable.
Qs are:-

Career prog?
You seem to have moved upwards in your career very fast. What are the qualities which has enabled you to do so?
Why an MBA now(as you already have one)?
I can see how your goals are fitting into W, but u tell me how?
Outside of classroom and your career exp, how will u contribute to W( social & extra-curr scene)?
Any questions for me?
Any thing that has been missed out?

The entire experience was extremely relaxed and conversational. I am kind of satisfied, now the waiting game begins :roll:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:Ross, Cornell ($), Kellogg, Wharton, Stanford, Berkeley ($$)
 Q44  V41
Send PM
I had my interview yesterday on campus with a second year student (and I got to meet shmegs). I thought the interview was difficult because 30 minutes was a very short time to get through all the detailed questions and I didn't feel like I had the opportunity to build up much of a repoire/conversational tone.

So I am feeling much like Meddling Kid...not sure if I did enough to change their minds if they thought I was strong or they were on the fence about me.

the main questions i can remember:
-walk through resume
-why have you made the career choices that you have made
-why mba/why now/why wharton
-why is wharton a good fit for you/why are you a good fit for wharton
-conflict in team and how to resolve it
-difficult team situation
-what are you interests outside of work/what are you passionate about
-how do you measure success

good luck to everyone who is interviewing.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
chitchat wrote:
I had my interview yesterday on campus with a second year student (and I got to meet shmegs). I thought the interview was difficult because 30 minutes was a very short time to get through all the detailed questions and I didn't feel like I had the opportunity to build up much of a repoire/conversational tone.

So I am feeling much like Meddling Kid...not sure if I did enough to change their minds if they thought I was strong or they were on the fence about me.

the main questions i can remember:
-walk through resume
-why have you made the career choices that you have made
-why mba/why now/why wharton
-why is wharton a good fit for you/why are you a good fit for wharton
-conflict in team and how to resolve it
-difficult team situation
-what are you interests outside of work/what are you passionate about
-how do you measure success

good luck to everyone who is interviewing.

That's defo tougher than the other guy, hope it went on well. Fingers crossed!

Again, for all of you interviewing over here, I'm willing to meet up (although I'll be away for the next 10 days); if you're interviewing after Thanksgiving shoot me a PM.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Audio wrote:
It's a classic process: you get out of there with a positive feeling, then you start thinking about it, and tell yourself "man, I could have done that and that better, that answer was crap", etc. I don't know how good a judge you are of yourself (have you been completely surprised before after an interview in the negative sense?), but from what I hear, there is nothing you could have done more. If they don't accept you, it won't be because of your interview.

It just happened to me. Got out of the interview feeling great, but now I'm having doubts... oh man.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
businessm wrote:
Audio wrote:

It just happened to me. Got out of the interview feeling great, but now I'm having doubts... oh man.

We are all in the same boat. There is one question that I could have answered better, everything else was great but I keep thinking about it, again and again... arggg
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Harvard, Wharton, Columbia
Send PM
Are the interviews definitely application blind? Is there a place on the Wharton site that explains this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
gregory wrote:
Are the interviews definitely application blind? Is there a place on the Wharton site that explains this?

Yes it is, refer to the adcom blog here : https://adcomblog.wharton.upenn.edu/
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Can anyone please repost the recommmender questions for W?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Kudos
agold wrote:
Can anyone please repost the recommmender questions for W?

1. How long have you known the applicant and describe your relationship to the applicant?
2. How would you rank this applicant compared to his/her peer group? Please describe the peer group to which you are comparing this applicant (for example,
employees with comparable work experience and level of responsibility).
3. How would you describe the applicant’s personal integrity?
4. What observations do you have concerning the applicant’s leadership abilities, team and/or group skills?
5. How would you describe the applicant’s sense of humor (seriously)?
6. What are the applicant’s most salient strengths?
7. What are the applicant’s weaknesses? What efforts has the applicant made to address these areas?
8. What do you see the candidate doing and achieving in 10 years?
9. Do you have any additional comments that you think will assist the Admissions Committee in making its decision? If yes, please elaborate.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Cheers. +1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
OK, the waiting period starts again.... :roll:

I had my HUB interview today and even though - like all of you it seems - I was initially quite pleased with how it went, I am already starting to have some serious doubts :shock:

The interview was quite short (about 25 minutes) and the interviewer didn't actually ask me many questions. I was expecting the typical strengths/weaknesses/leadership experience/teamwork etc type of questions, but nada... :?

The questions were:

- Explain career progress.
- What do you do in your free time?
- Why mba?
- Why now?
- Why Wharton?
- What would you do outside of class (clubs, etc)?

And some questions to better understand the rationale behind my answers to the above questions. I asked her a few questions at the end, and then my time was over... (crazy how time flies when you're under stress!! Just wish the waiting period could pass as fast!! :wink: )

The interviewer was very professional and friendly. It was a nice/relaxed/straightforward interview. What worries me is that 1) I did not give examples of my leadership/teamwork experience (I was never asked and could not find an appropriate moment to mention them :( ); 2) it was quite short, so I couldn't address all the aspects of my application that I wanted to address; 3) the interviewer did not take any notes (was this the case for you guys?) so I'm worried some/most of the things I mentionned will be forgotten :(

Anyway, there's not much I can do about it now... The more I think about it, the more doubts I have. It's going to be a long month and it'll be hard to find the motivation to work on my R2 apps...

Good luck everyone!!!! :-D
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  33   34   35   36   37  ...  67   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts