It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 21:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 11:35
Wow thanks for sharing virflo! glad to hear that there was nothing crazy asked :)

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 11:35
So out of curiosity, has anyone had their HcM interview yet? Any feedback on that?

cheers,
ac.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Schools: Wharton '11

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 11:40
Virflo,

I totally agree, the wait will be long. I just don't know how they can evaluate us if they don't ask about leadership and teamwork.

I love your comment about R2 schools... It will be hard to start writing essays again.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 11:50
I am not surprised that interviewer questions are not focussed on teamwork and leadership. Even though the Wharton School's interviews are blind, the interviewers do have an agenda. And if we see Wharton's essays, they had a 500 word essays on leadership experiences. So probably leadership and teamwork have already been gauged and you have passed Wharton's criteria if you have an interview call.

The interview is mostly to clarify your goals and your fit for Wharton. They are also gauging your personality and I wont be surprised if they give interviewers certain leeway to ask a few off-topic questions.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 38 [1], given: 0

Schools: Fuqua '11

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 11:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hey virflo,

As long as you were able to detail your leadership / teamwork skills with examples in your essays/application, I wouldn't worry about not touching everything in the interview. I'm really getting the idea from these Wharton interviews that they are mostly just to see how one is going to present him/her self when he/she walks into classes on the first day. What is the person's personality, sense of humor, professionalism etc. I don't think anyone can really judge how good of a student you'll be in a 25 minute interview. It sounds as if you hit it off with your interviewer, no awkward moments etc, so I'd be very content with how it went.

Still working on getting my closest alumnus to get his contact information in the system so he can interview me. But I feel, agree with me or not, that Wharton's 'take' on people is very, very largely gathered already from your application, and the interview is just their check to make sure you aren't a complete jerk and that you really did work on the projects/activities listed on your resume.

Kudos [?]: 38 [1], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Schools: Ross, Cornell ($), Kellogg, Wharton, Stanford, Berkeley ($$)

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 12:25
bostonsparky wrote:
Hey virflo,

As long as you were able to detail your leadership / teamwork skills with examples in your essays/application, I wouldn't worry about not touching everything in the interview. I'm really getting the idea from these Wharton interviews that they are mostly just to see how one is going to present him/her self when he/she walks into classes on the first day. What is the person's personality, sense of humor, professionalism etc. I don't think anyone can really judge how good of a student you'll be in a 25 minute interview. It sounds as if you hit it off with your interviewer, no awkward moments etc, so I'd be very content with how it went.

Still working on getting my closest alumnus to get his contact information in the system so he can interview me. But I feel, agree with me or not, that Wharton's 'take' on people is very, very largely gathered already from your application, and the interview is just their check to make sure you aren't a complete jerk and that you really did work on the projects/activities listed on your resume.

I hope this is the case. I felt like I was grilled for 30 minutes with about 20 questions. The interviewer kept asking me for "my 30 second, 2 sentence response" as she grilledplowered through the questions on her clipboard. I'm trying to make myself feel better because at least I answered all the questions with some coherent intelligence without getting too flustered. oh well.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 12:46
bostonsparky wrote:
Hey virflo,

This seems consistent with what I have heard as well. However, am I the only person who wasn't really asked to walk through my resume? My interviewer started off by asking me to tell her more about myself, but I only had enough time to go into my most recent employment and mention why I wanted an MBA. I didn't walk through my resume by any stretch. But, this also seems consistent with the Admissions blog, which advised interviewees not to focus too much on their resume. I honestly think they've already reached a decision when we are brought in to interview. If they have a "yes" stamped on the app, they want to ensure the person will represent Wharton well.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 13:11
chitchat wrote:
bostonsparky wrote:
Hey virflo,

I hope this is the case. I felt like I was grilled for 30 minutes with about 20 questions. The interviewer kept asking me for "my 30 second, 2 sentence response" as she grilledplowered through the questions on her clipboard. I'm trying to make myself feel better because at least I answered all the questions with some coherent intelligence without getting too flustered. oh well.

Did you interview with an alum or current student?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 13:59
Thanks guys for being so encouraging!! :-D
This is what I love about gmat club: everyone is so nice! I hope to meet some of you next September :P

I forgot to mention one question:
- ST and LT career plans. Why?

I guess I should stop thinking about it now and focus on my next INSEAD interview. Although the idea of of the pre-interview "yes stamp" is a little bit stressful.... :?

By the way, you guys didn't answer my question re whether or not your interviewers wrote down anything during the interview... I'm a bit worried about this... am I paranoid? (I tend to be :wink: )

Best of luck everyone!!!! We're getting closer to the finish line!!! :P

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Schools: Ross, Cornell ($), Kellogg, Wharton, Stanford, Berkeley ($$)

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 14:06
Virflo wrote:

By the way, you guys didn't answer my question re whether or not your interviewers wrote down anything during the interview... I'm a bit worried about this... am I paranoid? (I tend to be :wink: )

mine wrote feverishly on her clipboard. i interviewed with a second year student on campus.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 14:10
Virflo wrote:
This is what I love about gmat club: everyone is so nice! I hope to meet some of you next September :P

I forgot to mention one question:
- ST and LT career plans. Why?

I guess I should stop thinking about it now and focus on my next INSEAD interview. Although the idea of of the pre-interview "yes stamp" is a little bit stressful.... :?

I'm sure there is no pre-interview stamp. The interview is just another data point to be added to your application. Now, it is possible that your application is already very strong and that they only need to make sure that you communicate well. In that case your interview plays a small role. If however your application is kinda on the fence, the interview would play a stronger role... that's my guess :)

btw, I don't remember if she took notes!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 14:12
Virflo,

I had my interview today, and it was *exactly* like yours--the questions, the informality, and he didn't take down a single note. I took it as a good, or at least neutral, sign. We spent about half the time walking through my resume, and then I felt like he spent the other half selling me the school--what he did there, Philly, the alumni network, etc.

I think you should be encouraged.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2008, 03:35
Hi ac

I think the first page needs an updation. Besides urs truly, the foll gmatclubbers have also been interviewed(the ones in blue are new names, i.e; not in the original list):-

Mikus
Coadman
Cougarblue
BSchoolorBust
businessm
mbabiden

This puts the Gmatclub at 63% interview invites :shock: :shock: :-D :-D

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2008, 08:13
Woah! Didn't realize the first page had been getting updated by the other mods. Awesome :)

I'll update them with your list Madz.Thanks!

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 146 [2], given: 29

Schools: Cornell '11

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2008, 08:27
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everbody, I know I am not a Wharton applicant or anything....but I decided to update the first page applicant stats so invited to interview is blue and dinged is red. This makes it easier on the eyes to differentiate.....plus red has a negative connotation and there is nothing bad about an interview invite!

"George is getting upset!"

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 146 [2], given: 29

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2008, 08:30
thanks raabenb! +1 kudos!

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 12

Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2008, 09:39
good luck with wharton everyone, it is great to see so many invites

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 12

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2008, 21:44
Hi All,

I'm still trying to schedule my interview with a local alumni who is busy until after Thanksgiving. Seems like I will schedule it between December 2 and 4. Will having the interview on December 4 be still acceptable by Wharton?

Are any of you scheduling this late?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [2], given: 8

Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2008, 21:47
This post received
KUDOS
I am still convinced that it is not the questions that matter in the interview, but rather the answers. I also hear some people come in so rehearsed that it hurts (the applicant of course). Rather than concentrating on what questions might be asked, I would (and did) concentrate on particular aspects of my life that 1. explain my goals, 2. describe me as a leader 3. give insight into my social life 4. paint a picture of me as a person. I found it very helpful because whatever question came my way, I had plenty of examples to throw back at the interviewer. I think if your interview gets to the nitty-gritty details of your career, life, social involvement, it is a good indicator that you hit the target, and the interviewer is trying to zero in on their conclusions. Once a positive conclusion is about to be made, you would normally want to get more evidence to support your decision. Similarly, once a negative conclusion is being formed about a candidate, it is probably because the signal from the candidate was very strong, so naturally people tend to look for justifications as to either prove themselves wrong and to make sure they're not making a mistake. A mistake about being wrong is then being the opposite to wrong.

If you know enough about yourself, if you have a lot of examples that describe your skills, then you can either provide more evidence to strengthen the positive conclusions about your candidacy, or to dissipate whatever doubts the interviewer might have about you, i.e. do very good damage control. So knowing the questions in advance does not help much, and frankly what are the chances that your interview will be similar to others'.

Rukuku.com–Interactive Online Courses
http://www.rukuku.com

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 53 [2], given: 8

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2008, 06:11
guys, for these questions

Where in your background would we find evidence of your leadership capacity and/or potential? (500 words)
and
Is there anything about your background or experience that you feel you have not had the opportunity to share with the Admissions Committee in your application? If yes, please explain

do you suggest having one big story for each?
or should i split each into 2 x 250 essays i.e. give two examples of leadership capaciy?
and two distinct experiences?

thanx

S

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2008, 06:11

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  33   34   35   36   37   38   39  ...  67    Next  [ 1339 posts ] 

Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: rohan2345

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap