Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 16:23 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, General Management
Schools:HBS, Kellogg (i/v ed), Tuck(Ding), Duke (admitted), Ross
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink]
9 users browsing this thread and no posts! seems every body is yet to get out of shock of two days back. Saw interesting debate on Bweek about quotas - diversity and how it all pans out in context of laws on non discrimination. was just wondering about luck factor. everything else equal, when adcom members read out applications they assign to different members. no doubt adcom claim that all members to read out applications are trained and hence their accept / deny for interview or for putting up case for discussion in adcom meeting assumes some uniformity over time, but can that be said to be true? particularly when seen in light of every applicant bringing in some thing unique and hence no two profile can be the same. so there is always scope for subjectivity. just wonder one applicant file denied when case taken up by one adcom member would infact be an admit who might be from that field and relates to the applicant. I just saw one profile on Admissions411 site where the admit applicant claims to have written GMAT six times. definitely I concede that the admit is well deserved one but what if some other adcom member had taken up the case and felt otherwise in view of taking GMAT six times? (pl. no offenses, not wanting to get into debate about particular applicant or his/her candidacy)
Many a times adcom do share about process they follow while deciding applications. so is it that they create pile of 100 each and then work out to give admits to say 20 applicants and then compare the individual files within that pile or they give some grading during first read say on a scale of 100 and then initially admit say those above 95, then compare with remaining lot and again discuss and say release those above 90 and so on. when they reach say 65 then they put next 10 list in wait list and reject rest of the lot?
any guesses or ideas on the actual process?
In the meantime if there r admits, we will get back to business as usual of ctrl+R and F5 for others! haha :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Emory, Kellogg (Mat.)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Don't know if you are tracking 1-YR's as well, but if so you can add my name to the list.

Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
mbaleader, the process is a little more solidified than that. I have friends who sit on the adcom and they have shared a fair deal about the process but most of it you guys dont care about. Remember, no one adcom really makes the decision. They opperate on by consensus,

A generic view of the process as done by almost all top schools as far as I know: if everyone votes yes, you get in...if everyone votes no you get dinged...if your vote is split it often comes up for a more detailed review. Final say in admits goes to the dean of admissions. You could have a split vote but thiers is the only one you really need.

They dont have explicit number goals for people but they want a fairly diverse class, so they arent going to admit an equal percetage for all groups (there would barely be any of certain groups if they did and huge numbers of others). Though they wont admit it, yes it is easier if you are female generally...however its not really easier if you are an indian or chinese woman. But if you are a black female or even a white female it definitely is a lot easier compared to some other groups. Its simply a matter of the volume of groups. If they aim for 35% of the class to be female and seek a diversity in that part of the student body similar to the student body as a whole then its a lot easier for some. Simple math tells us if 25-30% of applicants make up 35% of the student body then its easier for them than for the 70-75% of applicants who will make up the 65% of the student body.

Thats not even factoring in the differences in yield. Remember all the top schools seek diversity so HBS accepts a larger % of women than apply and so does stanford...so that trickles down to lower the yield other schools get for women. So they admit even more. Then factor in different reputations of schools as being are more attractive to females than other schools and that can change their yield even more.

Don't get upset by this, would you really want to sit in a class room that is made up mostly of the same type of people? Diversity bring far more to an MBA program than you realize. As someone who had almost no diversity in their previous experiences, I love it. Some of my best friends here are from all over the world. They are amazing people who I never would have met without this place.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
BW has people posting that they are seeing the dreaded "Unknown Status" right now...

Just checked mine, no change... yet.

~Sam

EDIT - People now posting the dings... two more on BW.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Consulting, General Management
Schools:HBS, Kellogg (i/v ed), Tuck(Ding), Duke (admitted), Ross
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Yeah River, it is good to know that the file is read by all adcom members and I think that would make the process little tardier. It is issue of 6000 applications read by all members! any idea what percentage is consensus decision and what percentage would be by vote? B school admit decision through democracy is really interesting. On a serious note, since decisions are not made on a single day in a single sitting and in any particular cycle, adcom will admit say 450 applicants and would reject say 2000 applicants so how do they maintain that objectivity? in the beginning what could have been a reject case may become comparatively strong case later on or vice versa. so definitely little bit of luck is there. just out of curiosity, could it happen that a particular candidate who is otherwise very strong denied admit because the school feels that he may get admit to a higher ranking program say H/S and may reduce their yield? or do they take care of that with scholarship offer?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
judging from business week this is setting up to be another brutal day....people reporting unknown status but no one reporting requests for offical info.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
Some of those unknowns just reported dings on BW :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Berkeley Haas
Send PM
mbaleader wrote:
Yeah River, it is good to know that the file is read by all adcom members and I think that would make the process little tardier. It is issue of 6000 applications read by all members! any idea what percentage is consensus decision and what percentage would be by vote? B school admit decision through democracy is really interesting. On a serious note, since decisions are not made on a single day in a single sitting and in any particular cycle, adcom will admit say 450 applicants and would reject say 2000 applicants so how do they maintain that objectivity? in the beginning what could have been a reject case may become comparatively strong case later on or vice versa. so definitely little bit of luck is there. just out of curiosity, could it happen that a particular candidate who is otherwise very strong denied admit because the school feels that he may get admit to a higher ranking program say H/S and may reduce their yield? or do they take care of that with scholarship offer?

Another related question...So if the adcoms are going to make 450 offers during R1, over a period of close to 25 business days, does it mean that they are sending 15-20 admits daily?...or is it much lesser early on and increases multifold later on in the process?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
:? Ugh!! Sorry to see that the "profiling" discussion has now made it over from BW onto this forum as well. Of course the top business schools are going to try and build a certain profile in each class. To echo what River said, how boring would it be if every in all of your classes was a white male IBer or consultant type. More than anything, Bschool is about building a network. The reason that we aspire to go to an M7 is so we can build a GLOBAL network. Its also about sharing ideas and learning about new ways to think about things. Why do you think Kellogg is so hot on teamwork? Its because out in the real world you are going to have to learn to work and deal with all sorts of people.

If you truly think that graduate school admission should be based solely on merit, then go to law school, or become a quantum physicist. Business is as much about building the "soft" skills as anything else.

Sorry for the rant. BTW, I am still showing the standard "if you interview is complete....." message, so I'm holding out hope.

Anyone know about MMM decisions? Haven't seen anything here or on BW.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
usually each day that passes is bad when waiting for invites....in this case, each day that passed without a decision means I survived the bloodletting
Current Student
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General
Schools:Kellogg (ding), Harvard(WL), Wharton
Send PM
Since I have been stalking this thread for a couple days (really good stuff on here), I should probably be added to the list of applicants too.

I'm still awaiting any change in status.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Not all adcoms do the reading, most schools have 2 or 3 readers for each application. Some schols use students as one of those evaluators. I think this is actually a pretty good thing since students are the one living the culture so they know who they would want to be their classmate. In no way do all the adcoms read all 6000 applications.

As for dinging people because they think they will attend other schools, yes some schools do it. Columbia has that reputation, they put a lot into keeping yield as high as they can. However, judging by yield I would say Kellogg and Chicago both definitely DO NOT do that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I just added a few more posters who are applying. You guys just hit 50 known applicants. For reference this is how it shaped out last year for us (way more people on here this year):

Kellogg R1: 29 applicants
Tally: Admits: 11 Dings: 13 Waitlist: 5
GMATclubbers in the class of 2010: 10
I think everyone who was at DAK ended up attending.

Kellogg R2: 34 applicants
Tally: Admits: 9 Dings: 17 Waitlist: 4 unknown: 3
GMATclubbers in the class of 2010: 4

Total GmatClub 2008 numbers
Kellogg '08: 63 applicants
Tally: Admits: 20
GMATclubbers in the class of 2010: 14

Admit rate: 31.7% vs 19% published acceptance rate
Yield: 70%
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Sorry for being late to the party (like the prev. poster, I'm a long-time thread stalker), but I also applied R1 and am waiting to hear something.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Marketing/Brand Management
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2011
 Q47  V47
Send PM
As long as everyone else is getting involved in the party, let me do so too. Can I get added?

I've been reading the threads here for days, stressing in silence along with everyone else. I haven't gotten any updates in status, am still waiting.

25/m/4yrs WE/3.7 GPA/ 760 GMAT

I interviewed on 11/12
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
The great thing about the board is that its a support system for the insanity that is the application process.

The more you participate the easier it is sometimes since you get it all out with people going through the same stuff.
Intern
Intern
Schools:Washington University (Olin)
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Long time viewer, first time poster:

Can I get added to the mix

25/m/4 yrs WE (Chemical & Life Science)/3.8GPA/750 (44V,49Q)/Interviewed on 10-15

Haven't gotten any updates, but have been anxiously awaiting with everyone on here and the BW forum ever since the rumor started that things would heat up the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  47   48   49   50   51  ...  115   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts