Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 03:12 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 03:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Tuck, Kellogg, Sloan, Stanford, Haas, Cornell, LBS, UCLA
 Q49  V35
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink]
IvyStallion wrote:
Is it possible that in such cases, the student may actually end up ruining my 200+ dollars?

Don't forget. More than one person is going to read your app, and if there is disagreement, it will be discussed in a group setting. I think this minimizes to almost zero the possibility you outlined. But... I think there is probably some luck involved...

Just hope for the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS class of 2011
Send PM
So here we go... first ding of the season... 1Y program, international candidate.

I'm actually quite ok with it ;-). Started smiling once I saw dreaded "unknown" status. Maybe indeed they do a good job there - Kellogg wasn't really my top choice, nevertheless I applied to spread the risk. I guess they "smelled" it ;-).
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
I understand the points listed below, but out of respect for the women on this forum, lets please not assume that a woman reader is not a "super achiever".

IvyStallion wrote:
Guess we are seeing a lot more people added to the known applicant pool. I was just wondering that if we assume 2000 applicants to Kellogg R1 and I am sure atleast 50% have access to the internet and atleast 20% read forums. And even if we assume that only 10% know about GMATClub, we should end up with atleast 200 people browsing these forums and assuming a 50% stalker rate, we should have atleast 100 known applicants.

Well this does assume that 80% of R1 applicants are so not worried that they do not browse forums. Quite hard to justify the numbers ;)

Another point which I wanted to know was what do you think would be the chances of a student in the adcomm mis evaluating an application. I see two cases -

1. The student evaluator is an exceptional candidate (been a super achiever all his life - 3.5+GPA, 750+ GMAT, IVy undergrad, big3 IB/Consult/Acounting firm work ex) who thinks an applicant is not good (comparison with self) whereas the candidate1 may actually have exceptional work ex (in unknown startups/ disciplines or fields unknown to the reader - the adcomm on the other hand have the maturity to interpret the right messages conveyed but not the student member) - Case 1

2. The student evaluator is not a super achiever as in Case 1 (for whom its a little easier to get in - women/young achievers/etc ) who may evaluate an OK male applicant (candidate2) as actually good (comparison with self) - Case 2

3. However in reality candidate1 may actually be a better applicant than candidate2.

Is it possible that in such cases, the student may actually end up ruining my 200+ dollars?
Given Kudos:
I'm sorry to hear that garbus :( Would you mind sharing when you interviewed?
garbus222 wrote:
So here we go... first ding of the season... 1Y program, international candidate.

I'm actually quite ok with it ;-). Started smiling once I saw dreaded "unknown" status. Maybe indeed they do a good job there - Kellogg wasn't really my top choice, nevertheless I applied to spread the risk. I guess they "smelled" it ;-).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS class of 2011
Send PM
Thanks, but no worries. I'll get concerned once I'll have no admits and will be awaiting my last school. For the time being, it's just 1 out of few ;-)

Interviewed 1st week of November.

jlola21 wrote:
garbus222 wrote:

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
garbus222 wrote:

Sorry to hear it garbus, and good luck with your other schools.
Given Kudos:
Thanks for the info. I am not seeing anyone posting results who has interviewed later in November. I know there is supposedly no correlation but I am still pondering that thought that they do go in some sort of 'interview order' type of process, with room for exceptions..

garbus222 wrote:
Thanks, but no worries. I'll get concerned once I'll have no admits and will be awaiting my last school. For the time being, it's just 1 out of few ;-)

Interviewed 1st week of November.

jlola21 wrote:
garbus222 wrote:

Current Student
Send PM
CaptainMolecule wrote:
Can someone add my name to the list of the applicants in the first round? I'd like to be a part of the Kellogg statistics :-) I guess it's not fair that I follow this forum the way I have for the past 2 days (I'm glued to it) and not participate.

While I thought I had an excellent profile, I've been burned by W and Columbia already this year, so this outcome assumes certain significance for me in terms of validating my story. All the best to everyone.

Agree, I recently found this forum and would like to be added to the R1 group as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools:Ross '11
Send PM
NJMike4MBA wrote:
zmfatla wrote:
Control what you can control...the time to have stressed about this was over the summer when you still had input in the decision.

It's a great philosophy, and reminds me of what people told me when I was stressing out about decisions. I think that the personality of many applicants to top programs though is to prefer to be in a position of being able to influence outcomes, rather than just waiting for others to make a decision. Completely agree we all had our opportunity to influence the outcome through preparing good apps and interviews, but now that there's nothing to do but wait it's not a comfortable position to be in.

Let me refine my point a bit...I agree that it's easier said then done. Maybe I should direct this more at the Kellogg process which, by its rolling nature and minute transparency (unknown status) seems to raise the level of angst for a lot of people in deteminging their fate. The fact that Kellogg doesn't release all at once stretches the time for anxiety out for a lot people.

My point was more about solidairty - don't let the peaks and valleys stress you out too much. No reading into the tea leaves of the process is going to change an admit, WL or deny. I'm with you, however - the process can be a lot to take. Deep breaths.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:Yale SOM '11
Send PM
We haven't had an admit since Monday. Ouch
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, International Business
Schools:Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
 Q46  V45
Send PM
Anyone else get that 'server failure'? I think its cause i kept logging in.

I got back to my regular status message.

I bet admit calls this afternoon and tomorrow.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
irishspring wrote:

Anyone know if they are still calling admits or is it through email now?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
No word yet. Like jlola, I'm wondering if the interview date can make a difference. I know mine was pretty late so I'm not expecting to hear anything until closer to the holidays...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
cpgmba wrote:
irishspring wrote:

Anyone know if they are still calling admits or is it through email now?

They always call admits.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
accept for internationals where timezone differences make things difficult
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
 Q50  V42
Send PM
jlola21 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I am not seeing anyone posting results who has interviewed later in November. I know there is supposedly no correlation but I am still pondering that thought that they do go in some sort of 'interview order' type of process, with room for exceptions..

Well, I actually interviewed in late September, which by any measure would be quite early. Haven't heard anything yet, although one of recommenders submitting his recommendations about 2 hrs late might have negated any advantage I might have had for an early decision.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I interviewed in late November (day before Thanksgiving), so I don't know when to expect my decision...

Ack!

~Sam
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  48   49   50   51   52  ...  115   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts