Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 11:45 It is currently 05 May 2024, 11:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink]
reversemix wrote:
The recommendation that I got from people in the past that were admitted off the waitlist was that I had to do something to distinguish myself from the rest of the waitlist applicants. Logically, if my application was strong enough the first time then I would've been admitted otherwise I'm just praying for others to give up their spots. So I thought of it not so much as getting a higher GMAT score ( which I did ) but that I was willing to spend the time, money and effort to show them how committed I am to succeeding in the program. NYU is what some would call a "Show me you love me" school.

I received both my BS and MS degree from NYU. Personally, I disagree with the way NYU treats lots of their applicants and even current students. NYU began to believe that they will shoot up to the elite tier in both undergrad and grad level for awhile but it hasn't happened.

Although their MBA program is rising through the rankings, I highly doubt it will reach where it aspires to be. Having said that, I feel like NYU is being snotty, especially to their potential applicants. There are other schools (such as Kellogg - elite program for a long time) that seriously show care to each student and make them feel valuable.

Another factor that NYU does this to their part time candidates is the fact that it is the only top part time program in NYC area. Since Columbia doesn't have PT program, and other schools like Fordham, St. Johns, Baruch and Pace aren't even close in terms of quality of education, NYU is pretty much doing whatever they want to.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The recommendation that I got from people in the past that were admitted off the waitlist was that I had to do something to distinguish myself from the rest of the waitlist applicants. Logically, if my application was strong enough the first time then I would've been admitted otherwise I'm just praying for others to give up their spots. So I thought of it not so much as getting a higher GMAT score ( which I did ) but that I was willing to spend the time, money and effort to show them how committed I am to succeeding in the program. NYU is what some would call a "Show me you love me" school.

This post was really helpful...what did you do to "show them" while you were waitlisted?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Any DB Updates at all? I've been on the waitlist for over a month, and can't like my odds with the last count. Are there any other waitlisters out there? Echo...? Does anyone know what is taking them so long to either ding or accept?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
So to all fellow PT admited students, I had a a question.

I did not realize that NYU approves a student loan only one semester at a time. Being an international student and not a US resident that is just horrible for me, becuase that means once I run out of the approved budget, I will have to reapply.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Please could you some send me a note on how you are dealing with tuition payments through a loan.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Actually I don't understand your email completely. I applied to Citibank but no response yet.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Why are you saying "NYU approves a student loan"? it's loan not from NYU but from Citibank
Why are you saying "once I run out of the approved budget, I will have to reapply"?

bozo190101 wrote:

I did not realize that NYU approves a student loan only one semester at a time. Being an international student and not a US resident that is just horrible for me, becuase that means once I run out of the approved budget, I will have to reapply.

Please could you some send me a note on how you are dealing with tuition payments through a loan.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Send PM
DB 299 as of 10:45pm 12/16

stmarks wrote:
Any DB Updates at all? I've been on the waitlist for over a month, and can't like my odds with the last count. Are there any other waitlisters out there? Echo...? Does anyone know what is taking them so long to either ding or accept?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wow, 299. So here are two questions for anyone that might know:

a) What happens to Waitlisters once they hit 300? Do they ding everyone else, or do they keep the list going in case any of the accepted bow out?

b) Has NYU strayed from their # in the past? Are they likely to go beyond 300 for any reason? (Down economy, endowments might be less than usual...)

...is this it?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congratulations to everyone who got into Stern.

I am a Fall 08 PT admit. Just got through my first semester. I am happy to answer any question that you may have.

I also want to post a shameless advertisement for everyone who's been admitted. I am trying to sell my books (Leadership in Management & Accounting). If you're interested, please let me know.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks. If we take 6 credits, how many extra hours do we need to use for study at home?

wkc wrote:

I am a Fall 08 PT admit. Just got through my first semester. I am happy to answer any question that you may have.

I also want to post a shameless advertisement for everyone who's been admitted. I am trying to sell my books (Leadership in Management & Accounting). If you're interested, please let me know.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Citibank approves one semester at a time. I just got approved for Spring. In Spring you reapply for Summer and so and so forth. After one year that is in your second year you can apply for spring and fall together

bozo190101 wrote:

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
I guess I didn't realize that. It wasn't clear to me from their website.

Also, does anyone know if as a PT student w/o tution support from company if recruiting/ career fair options are available to students ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It depends on the class you are taking. My experience is that so far the workload has been manageable. As far as hours outside of class, I'd say it ranges from 0 hours during some weeks to 10 hours during exam/paper due weeks.

But I have heard about other classes that require much more than that (ex. Operations).

welldone2008 wrote:
thanks. If we take 6 credits, how many extra hours do we need to use for study at home?

wkc wrote:

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anybody know where we are supposed to send the "langone program New Student Photo and Directory Authorization" form? I assume that we wouldnt send it to the Bursar's office? Do we send it to the address on the top left corner of the photo and directory authorization form?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is it even worth asking for the latest DB count?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
DB=301@8:00AM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
langone08 wrote:
Does anyone know how much to budget for books every semester assuming I take 6 credits

Just finished up my first semester at Stern - I think I spent a little over $200 on books, but that's with digging around online for bargains for that huge Accounting text. Speaking of which, I also wanted to insert my shameless plug if any of you are starting this Spring and needs the text for Accounting - send me a PM if you're interested :P

And congrats to all who were admitted!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10