Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 09:28 It is currently 05 May 2024, 09:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Linda and Hjort,

Thank You for your replies. Linda, I have sent you a PM with my GPA breakup and some explanations for my 'low' G.P.A

Hjort, to be frank, I am undecided about whether I will return to my family business or take some other route, e.g. job.

If you feel there is a certain direction I should lean towards in my applications, then I can surely make a case for that.

I would really appreciate any additional evaluations/information that you can provide me about possible college choices etc.

Do you have any comments on my extracurriculars?.

What do you feel is a strong GMAT score....my Math is definitely my weaker point.

Is it even worth applying to HBS? ...or would it be a waste of my money and the schools time?.

Thanks
Andy
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Your extracurriculars seem interesting and pass the "cocktail party test" (someone who heard this story would be likely to want to hear more about the student). However, I had trouble understanding exactly what these groups did but I figured that you would be able to explain more fully on the actual application.

Your nominal GPA does not sound low enough to exclude you from many of the elites but this still depends on the GMAT. Since GMAT and GPA act to some extent as compensating attributes, it would be helpful to have an above average GMAT for your intended schools.

Regarding the application to HBS:

What attracts you to HBS?
Are these attributes unique to HBS?
Have you actively evaluated other schools?

If one has difficulty answering these questions, applying to the school in question is probably not the greatest idea.

I am more than happy to provide information on programs that might interest you but I need a bit more guidance regarding what types of programs you are seeking.

Hjort
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
andymba wrote:
Hi Linda and Hjort,

Thank You for your replies. Linda, I have sent you a PM with my GPA breakup and some explanations for my 'low' G.P.A

Hjort, to be frank, I am undecided about whether I will return to my family business or take some other route, e.g. job.

If you feel there is a certain direction I should lean towards in my applications, then I can surely make a case for that.

I would really appreciate any additional evaluations/information that you can provide me about possible college choices etc.

Do you have any comments on my extracurriculars?.

What do you feel is a strong GMAT score....my Math is definitely my weaker point.

Is it even worth applying to HBS? ...or would it be a waste of my money and the schools time?.

Thanks
Andy

Andy,

I received your PM and believe that given your outstanding work experience and extra-curriculars you should apply to top ten schools provided that yo score a 700+ on the GMAT. Your GPA isn't that low that it will knock you out of contention. You should, however, provide an explanation, similar to what you sent me, for the dip in your senior year.

Finally, the whole issue of family business can be dealt with easily in your case. Simply describe your responsibilities and achievements. Doing so will show that your family's business is not the equivalent of the corner grocery store or local gas station. It is a global business with millions of dollars and you have handled millions of dollars of responsibility. Furthermore, you also worked at McKinsey, and that is a well-recognized name that serves as a feeder for top business schools.

Your extra-curriculars are impressive and a definite plus in your profile.

It is difficult to recommend schools without knowing what you want to do after your MBA. I know you are unsure if you will return to your family's business, but could you give me a little more insight and direction before I suggest schools?
Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Linda and Hjort,

Once again, Thank You for your thoughts. Linda, I took the liberty to send you another PM, I promise not to carry on doing so.

I have two questions which are of a high priority to me right now:

a) I would like to know if there are any MBA programs in the USA, well recognized programs that is (top 15 or so) that offer a MBA as well as a chance to learn a foreign language (Asian Language) from scratch. I do not expect to reach fluency in the lanuage, but am keen on possibly doing a MBA/MA combination if at all possible.

b) I have scheduled my GMAT (first try) for early October, and was hoping to submit my applications in time for the first deadline (i.e. by Nov 1 for several top 15 colleges). However, given the short amount of time between my GMAT and the application deadlines, I am wondering whether it would hinder my chances if I were to apply by the second deadline?.

I am sure with all your experience, you would have some honest thoughts on whether there is an advantage of applying by the first deadline as opposed to the second deadline. I am purely interested in any advantage in terms of admission, and not factors such as housing, financial aid etc.

I look forward to your thoughts and comments.

Thanks
Andy
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
andymba wrote:
Hi Linda and Hjort,

Once again, Thank You for your thoughts. Linda, I took the liberty to send you another PM, I promise not to carry on doing so.

I have two questions which are of a high priority to me right now:

a) I would like to know if there are any MBA programs in the USA, well recognized programs that is (top 15 or so) that offer a MBA as well as a chance to learn a foreign language (Asian Language) from scratch. I do not expect to reach fluency in the lanuage, but am keen on possibly doing a MBA/MA combination if at all possible.

b) I have scheduled my GMAT (first try) for early October, and was hoping to submit my applications in time for the first deadline (i.e. by Nov 1 for several top 15 colleges). However, given the short amount of time between my GMAT and the application deadlines, I am wondering whether it would hinder my chances if I were to apply by the second deadline?.

I am sure with all your experience, you would have some honest thoughts on whether there is an advantage of applying by the first deadline as opposed to the second deadline. I am purely interested in any advantage in terms of admission, and not factors such as housing, financial aid etc.

I look forward to your thoughts and comments.

Thanks
Andy

I replied to A in my reply PM.

To answer B: You want to submit your best application as early as possible. That means that now you should be devoting time to your GMAT to obtain the best score you can. AFter you know your score, you can work on your essays. You should submit them as soon as they are ready, but without rushing them or submitting them before they are ready. Remember Linda's rule:

Submit as early as possible PROVIDED you don't compromise the quality of your application.

"Your application" includes both the GMAT score and the essays.

So whatever advantage exists for applying first round is outweighed by the risks of submitting something less than your best in a rush to submit by the first round deadlines.

Good luck!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi again,

I agree that earlier is better for the applications. Depending on your first choice, I would even consider using one of the early evaluation deadlines (early action, early decision, etc.).

I trust Linda gave you a number of strong schools for learning an Asian language. There are several schools that offer MBA/MA degrees in Asian Studies. Some that come to mind include Berkeley, Virginia, and Texas. Among the ultraelites, Penn has the Lauder Institute while Chicago offers an MBA/AM in East Asian studies. Cornell has the FALCON program while Michigan has the Asia Business Program.

https://dml.cornell.edu/falcon/mba-ma.html

Even for the schools that require some initial training in the language, this requirement might be negotiable and/or you could probably reach this level in an intensive summer program before starting the MBA/MA program (such as FALCON above).

In addition, you might want to research the Foreign Affairs/Diplomacy schools that offer joint degrees such as Dartmouth/Tufts, Columbia, and Georgetown.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Linda and Hjort,

Thank You for your replies once again.

Hjort, I appreciate your replies on the schools offering Asian Language programs. I definitely would appreciate more information on this topic from both Linda, yourself, and any of our friends on this site.

I wish I knew about the Falcon program earlier, now the best that I can do is join the summer program, since I am interested in beginning my MBA in Fall 05.

Do you know of any programs or how to go about fulfilling the language requirements in time to apply for MBA /MA programs in Fall 05. I know for example the Lauder Institute requires proficiency in a language to qualify to join the program.

I am extremely keen on pursuing a dual degree, i.e. MBA/MA (Asian Studies) and would appreciate any further advice that you have.

Thanks
Andy
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

Had we known you were interested in an MBA/MA we would have helped you sooner . . .

As long as you are diligent there is enough time to apply to a joint degree program. I will send more info. in a PM.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Hjort,

I look forward to your PM

Regards,
Andy
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
andymba wrote:
Hi Linda and Hjort,

Thank You for your replies once again.

Hjort, I appreciate your replies on the schools offering Asian Language programs. I definitely would appreciate more information on this topic from both Linda, yourself, and any of our friends on this site.

I wish I knew about the Falcon program earlier, now the best that I can do is join the summer program, since I am interested in beginning my MBA in Fall 05.

Do you know of any programs or how to go about fulfilling the language requirements in time to apply for MBA /MA programs in Fall 05. I know for example the Lauder Institute requires proficiency in a language to qualify to join the program.

I am extremely keen on pursuing a dual degree, i.e. MBA/MA (Asian Studies) and would appreciate any further advice that you have.

Thanks
Andy

I can't really advise you on language program nor do I have a great grasp of joint MBA/MA in Asian study programs, but I invite Hjort or anyone else who has that knowledge to share the info. Obviously, Lauder is a great program. Georgetown also has a strong international program.

Given that you already have a conversational knowledge of Mandarin and Spanish, that you should be able to work on one of those two languages and get it to an acceptable level by the time you would start b-school.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]