Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 07:01 It is currently 05 May 2024, 07:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Question about recommendation letter [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gmatblast wrote:
I have a question regarding getting recommendation letters:

I have following profile: (The chronology is important in my case)

Undergraduate Degree: Mechanical Engineering, India (19991- 95)

Worked as manufacturing engineer for 4 years with a top Indian Engineering corporation(1995-99)

Grdauate degree : MS Management Information Systems (1999-2001)
(GPA = 4.93/5.00)

Worked as Systems analyst in Human Resource Information systems for the last three years in US

GMAT = 750 (M-50, V-41)

Considering this chronology, should I bother to get recommendation letter from my previous employer? (For which I worked as manufacturing engineer) Would the admission committe put enough emphasize on the recommendation letter for my work experience that dates back 5-6 years?

Thank you

You're raising a good question. I recommend you obtain recs from your employer of the last three years (The systems analyst position). Try to get recommenders who saw you working in different capacities even if at the same employer.

At the same time, if you really feel that the earlier position shows you in a different light AND that your recommender will remember enough specifics of your time there over five years ago to provide a meaty and substantive rec, then that could change my position. But unless you have really stayed in touch, it would be hard for most bosses to write after so many years with the kind of specificty and detail tha a strong rec requires.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Linda. I appreciate your insight.

I have one more question. Which schools (within top 10 only) do you think are good for Project Management field.

Thank you.
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
gmatblast wrote:
Thanks Linda. I appreciate your insight.

I have one more question. Which schools (within top 10 only) do you think are good for Project Management field.

Thank you.

I would think they are all good for project management. MIT and Michigan are known for operations and manufacturing, but I don't think you can go wrong in the Top 10 for project management.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Linda,

One more question. Though I have good overall grades in my undergraduate degree, my performance in some quantitative courses is not up to mark. Should it be of any concern to my application? Especially, considering the fact that I have very good GPA in my master degree and also good quantitative score on GMAT? (Please see my profile in the first message).

Thank you as always for your help.
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
gmatblast wrote:
Hi Linda,

One more question. Though I have good overall grades in my undergraduate degree, my performance in some quantitative courses is not up to mark. Should it be of any concern to my application? Especially, considering the fact that I have very good GPA in my master degree and also good quantitative score on GMAT? (Please see my profile in the first message).

Thank you as always for your help.

Some of my answer depends on how bad the grades were. If they were the equivalent of an American C, I would probably not draw attentiontion to them because it was also long ago and you had good grades in your masters program. However if it was equivalent to a D, then I might change my mind.

Also, were there extenuating circumstances that contributed to the low grades. If yes, then I would also be inclined to explain the dip.

For more information, please see "MBA Admissions: Low GMAT/GPA"

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]