Last visit was: 06 Jun 2024, 08:05 It is currently 06 Jun 2024, 08:05
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3870 [24]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3081 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1491 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A hypothesis known as Cetartiodactyla theorizes that whales [#permalink]
Confused between A and C. After the semicolon, 'they' refers to the subject of the first part of the sentence, which is the 'hypothesis'..so clearly not correct. But A creates a run-on sentence so not entirely sure.

Well..in an exam situation, I would go with C coz it sounds better.

OA?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
"B".
A-run-on sentence
C-"they" introduces ambiguity
What is the OA?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools: IIMA
Send PM
OA is C , as B is wordier and longer than C

For C, we can say is sweet and sound :)

Hope that helps :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
nitya34 wrote:
A hypothesis known as Cetartiodactyla theorizes that whales and hippopotamuses evolved from a common ancestor, therefore the closest living relative of the whale is the hippopotamus and vice versa.

A. A hypothesis known as Cetartiodactyla theorizes that whales and hippopotamuses evolved from a common ancestor, therefore the closest living relative of the whale is the hippopotamus and vice versa.

B. A hypothesis known as Cetartiodactyla theorizes that whales and hippopotamuses evolved from a common ancestor; therefore the closest living relative of the whale is the hippopotamus and the closest living relative of the hippopotamus is the whale.

C. A hypothesis known as Cetartiodactyla theorizes that whales and hippopotamuses evolved from a common ancestor; therefore, they are each other’s closest living relatives.

D. A hypothesis known to be Cetartiodactyla theorizes that whales and hippopotamuses evolved from a common ancestor; therefore the closest living relative of the whale is the hippopotamus and vice versa.

E. A hypothesis known to be Cetartiodactyla theorizes that whales and hippopotamuses evolved from a common ancestor; therefore they are each other’s closest living relatives.

I have the OE

pls explain.This one is a Good Q :)

how come A is wrong ?
C has pronoun they, they could refer to either whales or hippopotamuses
i know the meaning will still be correct, but still.

can anyone please explain it in detail.

Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4617 [2]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks
adymehta29 wrote:
A. A hypothesis known as Cetartiodactyla theorizes that whales and hippopotamuses evolved from a common ancestor, therefore the closest living relative of the whale is the hippopotamus and vice versa.

how come A is wrong ?
C has pronoun they, they could refer to either whales or hippopotamuses
i know the meaning will still be correct, but still.

can anyone please explain it in detail.

Hi Ady, Let me try to explain why A is wrong ?

I hope you know how we can join two independent clauses. There are 4 conjunctions to fuse two ideas as following :

1. Coordinating conjunction
2. Subordinate conjunction
3. Semicolon
4. Adverbial conjunction (goes with semicolon to join clause)

For more detail refer chapter 10 MGMAT SC guide.

Here in option A. I have marked respective subject verb pairs below. So, they are 2 IC joined by , therefore and comma does not work as conjunction.

Further, therefore is an adverbial conjunction it's role is different. people sometimes mistake adverbial conjunction for subordinate conjunction, but they are completely different types. Main error in A is run-on construction, as we can not join 2 ICs with comma + adverbial conjunction.

Refer this link to understand usage of adverbial conjunctions : https://www.chompchomp.com/terms/conjunctiveadverb.htm
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
" therefore" is " Conjunctive adverb"

The structure of a sentence that has conjunctive adverb as follows.

clause1; conjunctive adverb, clause2
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Is therefore not the same as so? Imagine the sentence like this:

A hypothesis known as Cetartiodactyla theorizes that whales and hippopotamuses evolved from a common ancestor, so the closest living relative of the whale is the hippopotamus and vice versa.

Would this work?

I thought it although FANBOYS does not include this word, it is much the same as "so". Accordingly, I went with A. expert post would be appreciated regarding this problem. Is FANBOYS strictly limited to the words with these initials?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3531 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Foreheadson wrote:

A hypothesis known as Cetartiodactyla theorizes that whales and hippopotamuses evolved from a common ancestor, so the closest living relative of the whale is the hippopotamus and vice versa.

Would this work?

I thought it although FANBOYS does not include this word, it is much the same as "so". Accordingly, I went with A. expert post would be appreciated regarding this problem. Is FANBOYS strictly limited to the words with these initials?

That's a good question. It seems that so and therefore work different grammatically, in this regard.

Therefore cannot connect two independent clauses, while so can.

Apart from therefore, other words that cannot connect two independent clauses include instead, consequently, moreover, hence, likewise, however and otherwise.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana makes a special mention of this point. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Run On.pdf [447.05 KiB]
Downloaded 43 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Foreheadson wrote:

Would this work?

That's a good question. It seems that so and therefore work different grammatically, in this regard.

Therefore cannot connect two independent clauses, while so can.

Apart from therefore, other words that cannot connect two independent clauses include instead, consequently, moreover, hence, likewise, however and otherwise.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana makes a special mention of this point. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.

Many thanks for your comprehensive response. It really helped me clear the doubts.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts