Last visit was: 09 Jun 2024, 03:24 It is currently 09 Jun 2024, 03:24
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Venture Capital
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2011 Thread [#permalink]
jb32 wrote:
OhThatMBA wrote:
For those of you who, like me, are still trying to figure out the health insurance situation, here's a link to NU's plan through Aetna.

https://www.aetnastudenthealth.com/schoo ... re0809.pdf

Unless I'm mistaken, this is what we get automatically if we don't opt out. I haven't yet explored other options, but I know some people on this board (and others I've met) have said there are cheaper and better alternatives.

To be honest, it's not really the best deal, and I for the life of me can't understand why it's not cheaper to go through the university (as opposed to private insurance) for a plan. You would think a group plan for 18-30 (or a bit higher) year olds in the prime (health) of their lives would be dirt cheap, but evidently that's not the case. I mean this plan must be a gold mine for Aetna. Large claims have to be really low.

Anyway, the plan I found that seems like the best deal FOR ME is the Blue Choice Select $500/80% plan with an out-of-pocket max of $3,000. And I emphasize for me. I rarely go to the doctor except for a physical once a year. The plan is $159 a month, or $1908 a year, saving me about $400 over the NW plan. The only differences being the deductible is $250 higher and the out-of-pocket max is $3,000 instead of $1,000.

The one thing I'm not sure of, and I think I read this somewhere, is that there are some restrictions on the coverage you can purchase outside the university. I think I read (but I can't find it anymore) something that said you could only have a maximum $1,000 deductible. I called the insurance office and the lady had no idea what I was talking about. She also could not understand why anyone would even think of declining the university's plan and purchasing their own insurance. I tried to explain it to her, but she wouldn't have it. She kept saying that the plan was to protect me from financial ruin. While I understand this, it's not like I'm going out and buying a plan with a $100K lifetime benefit.

Anyway, hope this helps and let me know if you want any information about my research.

Wow, thanks for the detail. This is very helpful.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
One other thing to keep in mind if you're planning to get your insurance outside of the NU plan: health insurance plans generally don't cover dental. Read the coverage carefully because if it doesn't mention dental coverage you'll need to buy a separate dental insurance policy (or pay full price for any dental work you need done). I'm not entirely sure if dental is included in the NU plan - the Aetna student health website talks about a dental plan, but it's not clear if that's included in the $2400 per year premium.

Even if it is included, a non NU health plan + dental insurance may still end up being cheaper but I'd stress as jb32 did that each person should make their own evaluation of which plan is best for their circumstances.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [2]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Kudos
Jerz wrote:
One other thing to keep in mind if you're planning to get your insurance outside of the NU plan: health insurance plans generally don't cover dental. Read the coverage carefully because if it doesn't mention dental coverage you'll need to buy a separate dental insurance policy (or pay full price for any dental work you need done). I'm not entirely sure if dental is included in the NU plan - the Aetna student health website talks about a dental plan, but it's not clear if that's included in the $2400 per year premium.

Even if it is included, a non NU health plan + dental insurance may still end up being cheaper but I'd stress as jb32 did that each person should make their own evaluation of which plan is best for their circumstances.

Dental is not included in the NU plan and IMHO is really not necessary. I would suggest going and getting your teeth cleaned right before you quit your job, then **maybe** picking up insurance sometime in your second year and getting another cleaning then. It's probably not worth paying $30 a month for what amounts to two cleanings over the course of 2 years. From what I recall, you could also go and have a cleaning for like $100 w/o insurance. Most dental procedures are between $200 and $1,000 (fillings, crowns, etc.), of which insurance covers between 80% and 50% depending on the severity of the issue (you would think major items would be covered at 80%, but then you would be wrong - many dental plans pay 50% for the big jobs). I have no idea why that is, and for the life of me can't understand it. In summary, unless you have constant problems with your teeth, in my opinion dental insurance just isn't worth it, but again, that is just my opinion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
Any thoughts on Engelhart? The Kellogg website sure is down on it, but it looks good, esp. since 2 br have completely new furniture and kitchens. Is it the international component? To me that's a plus...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
2 blocks east of engelhart is a shady area. i don't know about the dorm itself though
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
coolrun wrote:
2 blocks east of engelhart is a shady area. i don't know about the dorm itself though

Do you mean 2 blocks west?
Current Student
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
coolrun wrote:

Do you mean 2 blocks west?

hah..yeah... :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing, International Business
Schools:Kellogg
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Hey everyone...

Was hoping someone could help me with a question on health insurance for international students..

Another student sent me this health insurance plan for international students

https://www.psiservice.com/psiweb/brows ... ge=student

and the summary of benefits

https://www.psiservice.com/psiweb/plans ... EFITS.html

Even if I go for the most expensive plan - the annual cost is $1140. Is there something wrong / missing with the plan compared to NU insurance or others? How much the cost is so much lower? Did I miscalculate somewhere?

Thanks for your help!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
wincew wrote:
Hey everyone...

Was hoping someone could help me with a question on health insurance for international students..

Even if I go for the most expensive plan - the annual cost is $1140. Is there something wrong / missing with the plan compared to NU insurance or others? How much the cost is so much lower? Did I miscalculate somewhere?

Thanks for your help!

Just a few thoughts I had looking at this:

- Try and find out what their doctor/hospital network looks like. I've never heard of this company before and so don't know if there will be a good amount of doctors or hospitals available nearby that are in-network. You wouldn't want to be in a situation where the nearest in-network doctor is 25 miles away.
- I think the reason it's so cheap is the maximum coverages are pretty low. Especially the cheapest plan - one major illness or accident that requires hospitalization can eat through $150,000 pretty quickly. On the prescriptions side, $1,000 per year is not a lot of coverage at all. Of course, the chances of needing major medical work done are somewhat slim, so it's a tradeoff as to how much you're willing to pay in premiums vs. how much risk you're willing to take.
Current Student
Send PM
Best of luck to all the 1Y's! Classes start today, right? I'm jealous. :-D
Current Student
Send PM
Any thoughts on The Reserve? The leasing agent's actions have been shady, but the deal is decent.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
hd54321 wrote:
Any thoughts on The Reserve? The leasing agent's actions have been shady, but the deal is decent.

I haven't seen it, but I've heard the apts are pricey but nice.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I'm sure I should know this, but for some reason I haven't been able to find it yet. :x

When I was filling out the Health Record form, it asks for a Student ID number and a student ID.

I'm guessing bby student ID, they mean the xxx123 ID that we are assigned, but where is the student ID number?
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
yellowjacket wrote:
I'm sure I should know this, but for some reason I haven't been able to find it yet. :x

When I was filling out the Health Record form, it asks for a Student ID number and a student ID.

I'm guessing bby student ID, they mean the xxx123 ID that we are assigned, but where is the student ID number?

Log in to CAESAR and there should be a button on the left hand column that says Student ID. You shall find it there...
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
wincew wrote:
Hey everyone...

Thanks for your help!

Like Jerz said, I'd be somewhat skeptical of that plan, especially this part: % Insurance Pays for First $25,000 in Cost, 80% of negotiated fee; subject to policy limitation. That means you'd be out $5,000 for any procedure that costs over $25,000. And the $500,000 maximum is not high enough IMHO. I'd want $1,000,000 or more.

Other plans I know such as Blue Cross/Blue Shield have an out-of-pocket maximum of $1,000 - $3,000 and a lifetime benefit of $5,000,000. I mean if god forbid you were to get cancer or something, your bills could easily be $750,000 - $1,000,000. In that case, you'd be in a lot of trouble.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
hd54321 wrote:

Not many people live in the reserve. They are pretty nice/new buildlings and are more reasonable than most of the other places of like quality. HOWEVER, their location leaves a real lot to be desired. They are further from downtown than a lot of the other places and everything else that is fun, and are pretty close to train tracks (don't know if they are loud or not)...though they are about the same distance to Jacobs. Although they aren't very popular with Kellogg students, there are a few there.

Its not too far from the Foster stop on the El but its a pretty good walk to get to the Davis st. Metra station if you are going to have a significant other who will be commuting downtown. My wife takes the Metra and so do most of her friends, there is something to be said with having a short walk to the train when dressed up for work in the winter.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
hd54321 wrote:

The apartments are great and the people I met are really nice, but the location is really out of the way. Also, if you go a block or two west you're in no man's land:). If you don't mind location too much, its a great option.

I think they were flexible about contract length (9 months and etc) which is also important.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  48   49   50   51   52  ...  59