Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 12:50 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 12:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: MSc Commerce, MMS, MFin
Schools:McIntire, Fuqua, Villanova, Vandy, WashingtonU
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: MSF/MFin Fall 2010 Applicants Get In Here [#permalink]
I am surprised that you did not consider the LBS MiF program or the Imperial college's masters in finance, while looking into Oxford and LSE.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
LBS requires work experience. As far as Imperial, I'd rather go to Vanderbilt/Washington U/Duke.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi ...
My profile:
B.E in Telecommunications
2 yrs work ex in software field. Will be 3 years considering that im applying in 2010
Have attempted CFA Level 1 (with a band 8) :(
Have a GRE score of 1370/1600 + AW 4.5 with 790/800 in Math.

I am applying for Masters in finance in Warwick & Lancaster.
I have not yet shortlisted the other colleges.
I have ruled out LSE as its too expensive. Are there any other good colleges which are reasonably priced ?
I am particularly interested in getting into Lancaster. Any idea how good this college is ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Hi my profile

BE in Electronics Eng (61%)...10th-76%...12th-70%...GMAt 670 (Q47,V35,AWA-6)

goood LOR's...
very good extra currs, associated wit an NGO...

working for Infosys for abt 2yrs now..will be almost 3 by the time i actually join....im really keen on masters in finance at LSE...since LBS requires alott of work ex n specificaly in the field of finance also...although ive been working n a bankning software project my entire time and also bin involvd wit pre sales...but still not sure...

just wantd 2 knw abt my chances and any oter univs i shud luk into..wit my choices...n profile...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
I am applying (or already have applied) to M.I.T., LSE, Vandy, Villanova, Tulane, BC, U. of Rochester, and Oxbridge.

Background:
3.9 from an SEC school with an academic scholarship. double major in mathematics and finance. GMAT: 760 (Q -51, V-41). 1 yr work experience in asset management for real estate group (yikes).

Very high on LSE Ms Finance and Economics (Research).

Should be interesting to see how the next few months play out. Good luck everyone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: MS Finance
Schools:Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, MIT, Vandy, Boston College, IE, Illinois, Villanova
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Hello all.

I am applying to Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, MIT, Vandy, BC, and UIUC.

720 GMAT 49Q 39V; 3.75 GPA - Public School; Finance undergrad.

How are everyone's apps going?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello all

I'm looking for a ton of answers regarding to what I should do post-graduation in May, hopefully you guys could provide me with some advice that would benefit me down the road.

Background:
-will be 21 years old male and will be graduating in May of 2010 from UCF with about a 3.25 GPA and with a 3.4+ GPA in my degree program (Finance). I have not taken the GMAT yet, but expect a score of around a 650(have not taken any practice tests or anything). I'm applying for a internship for the spring and that is all the work experience I would be graduating with.

?'s
- What are some of the top Finance schools that I could attend in Florida (also considering California, and the Southeast)? i've started looking at Florida, Nova Southeastern(not looking very promising), Miami U
- I would like to get a MFin relatively young, but how much do you oppose going to get your Masters with no work experience and directly after you received your Undergrad degree? (considering the job market now also)
- I am interested in sports management such as doing something with a finance degree with a professional sports organization. Is there an MBA or program that could help me better my chances to land a job in that kind of market?
- How likely would it be for a company to hire me as an undergrad, then after a few years help pay for some of the costs of continuing my education?
- I have not begun studying for my GMAT yet, and some applications for Fall 2010 deadlines are due mid-march. I expect myself to achieve a lot higher GMAT score then my GPA would suggest, so how likely would it be with that limited of study time?
- I also plan on getting my real estate license over the early part of the summer of 2010, so would that affect my application at all and would an internship help me out in any way with applying for jobs in a finance market?

Thank you in advance sorry for so many questions. I may have 1 or 2 more pop up also
Intern
Intern
Schools:Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, MIT, Vandy, Boston College, IE, Illinois, Villanova
 Q49  V39
Send PM
I would not look at Florida. First, too be blunt, you will not get in. Also, they have a strong prejudice against students that did not do Florida undergrad. They have a weird system there where professors nominate students for interviews at banks. If you don't know the professor and some other student has worked with him for two years, whos going to get the spot?

I would look at Florida State, Tulane, and Auburn. All 3 have stronger alumni networks than UCF. If you are interested in Sports Management, than its a completely different story. I know NYU has a program, but I do not know what it entails. Some investment bankers transition into sports after their analyst/associate stint. A story that is close to home for you is Andrew Friedman, Devil Rays GM. He did a few years at Bear and look where he is now.

Figure out what you want short term and long term. Also, take the GMAT soon. Finally, start a new thread when you are starting a new topic, it keeps things less cluttered.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I've applied to Krannert (Purdue), Owen (Vandy), Olin (WashU), and LSE.

So far I've got an admissions offer from Krannert, and I've been rejected for 1 of the 2 programs I applied to at LSE.

I had a phone interview with Owen at the beginning of the month, and I have a phone interview scheduled with Olin two weeks from today. Anybody have any insight on the Olin interview?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Chances? [#permalink]
I am just sending my applications to meet the second round deadline at Tulane University, Vanderbilt University, University of Florida, and Purdue University. I was wondering what people's opinions of my chances are because I'm considering going back to undergrad. I have a BA in English from the University of Miami, with a finance minor, although I took more finance courses than the minor required. I also took classes in accounting, economics, two calculus and one stats. GPA: 3.89 (magna degree), GMAT: 710. I just graduated and have no relevant work experience or internships.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Student 1258,

Not sure of your chances for Tulane and UF, but I think you have a great shot at Purdue. I would think your GMAT and GPA put you in a great position for Purdue and Vanderbilt, but since I haven't heard back from Vanderbilt yet I can't really comment on what I think your chances are. Since your major was English, they would probably want a good quantitative score on your GMAT (probably around 85th percentile or better).

Just out of curiosity, because I'm applying to similar schools, how would you rank the 4 programs you're applying to and why would you rank them that way?
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Student1258:

I would say that your chances are very good at Tulane and UF: >90%. But I would not recommend that you attend either school
Vandy and Purdue is a bit more questionable. For Vandy, your GMAT quant score will matter. Anything 47-48 or up will help. They care very much about your quant skills, so I would say that GMAT quant along with your scores in quant classes will determine your admission decision. Same goes for Purdue, but not as much. You should get in.

BLopez:

In order (adding WashU for you):

1. Vandy
2. WashU
3. Purdue (Just because it is still new, few alumni, could be better in future)
4. Florida
5. Tulane
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks, MFinDreamer.

What do you think separates Vandy and WashU from the rest? The curriculum, placement, etc?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Kudos
Vandy - Established program. Tied to Owen MBA, so there are networking opportunities with MBA and MSF alum. Different tracks, depending what you want your focus to be.
WashU- Tied to Olin. A target for all Chicago firms. More quant than what most want.
Purdue - Good program, just new. We'll see what happens. I was impressed by the class profile though considering how new it is. Krannert is good.
Florida - Not a lot of options class wise. Not located near any money centers and not really a target anymore.
Tulane - Used to place well at Lehman, at least pre katrina. Now, it is an average program at best
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I received a phone call from Vanderbilt on Friday telling me that I've been offered a spot in the next MS Finance class. I'm stoked about this one.

I had my phone interview with WashU on Wednesday, and they said a decision would be made at the end of the month. I feel very good about how the interview went.

if anybody else is scheduled to have a phone interview with either Vandy or WashU, I'd be happy to offer any advice that I can.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hey Everyone,

I am applying to the following programs:

1) MIT
2) Vandy
3) Washington U
4) Villanova

I had a phone interview with Vandy early in December and I just received an admissions call this past Friday (just like blopez.. VERY stoked about this one). I also had a phone interview with WashU on Friday. My question for everyone is between Vandy and WashU how would you choose? Right now I think I am leaning towards WashU bc I think it might be slightly more quant/programming oriented (I did engineering as an undergrad so I'm comfortable with that stuff). Of course this whole decision is dependent on me getting into WashU first, however, I know if I get an admissions invitation from Washington University I will have a very hard time decided between them and Vandy. Any thoughts? (blopez... if you have any info that could distinguish between WashU and Vandy please let me know...Thanks).

Also, just as blopez said, if anyone has any questions regarded the WashU or Vandy interviews feel free to ask me. I'd be more than happy to help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nbd52,

if you want a more quantitative program, I would say WashU would be great for you. While Vandy offers a few decent electives that cover asset pricing and stochastic processes, I think WashU's MSF is, overall, more geared towards quantitative finance. That being said, I don't think Vandy is very far behind.

I'll also have a very difficult time choosing between the two if I get into WashU. There are aspects about both programs that I like. I like the quantitative nature of WashU's program, and I feel like they have better job placement record. But I like the range of electives offered by Vandy (WashU's curriculum, while it has great looking courses, is fixed). Specifically, I like the financial economics courses offered (I also believe you can take electives in other departments if you get that approved by an advisor). I also think Vandy's program is better set up for later pursuit of a PhD (something I'm still considering for the future).

What do you think about Vandy?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts