Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 01:46 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Best GMAT Books [#permalink]
Expert Reply
blitz wrote:
bb, if possible, can you compare to the Kaplan math review one? Basically, what I did was is I started with the Kaplan GMAT Premier Live Online 2010 Edition and realized that I need to take a step back and do more math review as I am shaky in some topics (it's been a while). I have purchased all 8 Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guides 4th edition so before jumping into those I'd like to spend more time reviewing basic concepts. Any ideas?

Hi Blitz - I am on a business trip again (getting old), so don't have access to my library, but will compare the two from memory for now and then will do a comparative writeup.

If you have MGMAT Guides, get the MGMAT Math Foundations - it works better with the other guides in terms of structure.

Both books are very similar in nature (designed as a heavy refresher for those who want to start with pie charts and PEMDAS). Both don't have anything advanced and mostly focus on foundations (hence the name). Both do it very well and should get you to the same end point.
I would say the main differences are:
1. MGMAT seemed a bit more graphic (maybe a bit more helpful in grasping materials)
2. Kaplan Math Foundations is shorter and seems more to the point
3. MGMAT is structured very much along the lines of their other books - each chapter is a precursor to an MGMAT guide, such as MGMAT Number Properties or MGMAT Geometry, etc

That's really it - both are good for what you need but MGMAT Math Foundations will probably work better than Kaplan.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
KapTeacherEli wrote:
adam2009 wrote:
I already have "GMAT Kaplan Premier 2007", would I lose ANY benifits if I used it instead of "GMAT Kaplan Premier 2010 Live on Line"? Should I buy the 2010 edition? would the 2010 edition make ANY postitive difference in my GMAT test over the 2007 version?

Thanx
Adam

My memory is a little spotty, but I believe 2007 is around when Bolded Statement CR questions were first revealed; I don't know if our 2007 materials will prepare you to deal with that (admittedly rare) question type.

Thank you for this info piece - do you know off top of your head how many Bold CR questions are in the Kaplan Live Online or if it covers them in detail?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:

Hi Blitz - I am on a business trip again (getting old), so don't have access to my library, but will compare the two from memory for now and then will do a comparative writeup.

If you have MGMAT Guides, get the MGMAT Math Foundations - it works better with the other guides in terms of structure.

Both books are very similar in nature (designed as a heavy refresher for those who want to start with pie charts and PEMDAS). Both don't have anything advanced and mostly focus on foundations (hence the name). Both do it very well and should get you to the same end point.
I would say the main differences are:
1. MGMAT seemed a bit more graphic (maybe a bit more helpful in grasping materials)
2. Kaplan Math Foundations is shorter and seems more to the point
3. MGMAT is structured very much along the lines of their other books - each chapter is a precursor to an MGMAT guide, such as MGMAT Number Properties or MGMAT Geometry, etc

That's really it - both are good for what you need but MGMAT Math Foundations will probably work better than Kaplan.

Thanks bb! Great advice! I will let you know how I find the MGMAT Math Foundations book

BLITZ
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
edit - I see now that several people commented on the value of the kaplan math workbook. Although some think it's still a good resource, I am adamant that it is one of the worst books I've ever seen published. It apparently wasn't proof read and some of the answer choices don't even match up with the questions. With problems this glaring, I don't understand why anyone would still whole-heartedly recommend this book... It's like you're paying your hard earned $ for something that's not worth $1........ /rant

Wait a second - how is the Kaplan Math Foundations on the list of suggested Quant books when it contains tons and tons of errors?!

Look at the Amazon reviews for it - that book is horrible. I got it a couple of months ago and returned it the same day. Flipping to a random pay, you are likely to find an error....
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
TimeSquareDesi wrote:
edit - I see now that several people commented on the value of the kaplan math workbook. Although some think it's still a good resource, I am adamant that it is one of the worst books I've ever seen published. It apparently wasn't proof read and some of the answer choices don't even match up with the questions. With problems this glaring, I don't understand why anyone would still whole-heartedly recommend this book... It's like you're paying your hard earned $ for something that's not worth $1........ /rant

Wait a second - how is the Kaplan Math Foundations on the list of suggested Quant books when it contains tons and tons of errors?!

Look at the Amazon reviews for it - that book is horrible. I got it a couple of months ago and returned it the same day. Flipping to a random pay, you are likely to find an error....

Sorry, have been on a business trip and did not have time to get back with your original comment right away.

1. You are correct - many errors. I have not gone through all of the examples, so have not stubmled onto them myself, but definitely heard this from many
2. The main reason I recommended it was that there was no other book that addressed this area (pre-gmat math, or intro-quant)
3. There is a better book (which again I have gone through from the perspective of materials but not actual examples), and that's MGMAT Math Foundations. I will be adding a review shortly (whatever that means :))
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Review posted: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098417 ... 0984178007

Please let me know how I can improve it.
1. Thoughts
2. Questions
3. Suggestions
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hey Guys,

Question: The MGMAT sentence correction book comes with 6 online CAT's it says. Are these 6 CAT's full GMAT tests? I really hope so, because that's real good value for your money.

Hope hearing from you!

Cheers,
MathFear
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
MathFear wrote:
Hey Guys,

Question: The MGMAT sentence correction book comes with 6 online CAT's it says. Are these 6 CAT's full GMAT tests? I really hope so, because that's real good value for your money.

Hope hearing from you!

Cheers,
MathFear

Yes. They are CATs that are available for sale for $35 from MGMAT's website.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
bb wrote:
Yes. They are CATs that are available for sale for $35 from MGMAT's website.

Are these the same as the ones you get with the book?

(See what's inside this guide; last bullet point.)
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes.

There is only one set of MGMAT tests in the universe, and all MGMAT Guides (Except MGMAT Math Foundations) provide access to them.
In addition, each guide also has additional online practice (varies by guide) which can be pretty substantial.

This should help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Thanks for the info!!!

After reading this topic, i got my hands on the kaplan GMAT premier 2010 live.

Hope it serves the purpose!!
Tuck School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
I'd appreciate some additional info about OG10 - is it obsolete by now or not?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
^ everyone will have their opinions and there is no finite answer to your question. At the very least, it's more GMAT-like questions for you to practice with so I personally feel that it would be worth it to go through it. You can't simply the OG10 alone because I don't think it would adequately prepare you for the exam. I'd use the OG10 along with a ton of other materials during my prep work.

If you have the OG 10 now, use it for the sample questions. If you don't have the book, you can get the OG11 for pretty cheap since OG12 is already out.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
phoenixrulzz wrote:
Thanks for the info!!!

Remember that it is a starter book, so just to get your feet wet and figure out what's missing. then the path most take is either the MGMAT Guides or combination of other books.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
bb wrote:
phoenixrulzz wrote:
Thanks for the info!!!

Remember that it is a starter book, so just to get your feet wet and figure out what's missing. then the path most take is either the MGMAT Guides or combination of other books.

Hmm sure!! i started with the kaplan just yesterday, going through it. Thanks for the info though!!!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Overview of CliffsNotes GMAT Cram Plan has been added to the thread
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
I've been reading that several of the GMAT prep books don't teach concepts very well or there are errors in some of the theories. Might it be better just to use school textbooks (eg. grab a high school Finite book for the permutations/combinations questions).
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  18