Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q49  V25
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General management
Schools:Cornell ($), Ross(accepted), Duke(accepted), Tuck, MIT, Columbia RD
 Q51  V36
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink]
I have a question about Fuqua optional essay. I do not have any weakness in my profile. I was thinking of writing my community leadership story as optional essay. Is it a good idea. For quick reference, here is the essay prompt:

If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the admissions committee should be aware, please explain them here (e.g. unexplained gaps in work, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, significant weakness in your application).

Is it appropriate to write about community experience even though it asks for extenuating circumstance. People who have applied and people who have been accepted, what did you do?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Question for the Early Action and R1 folks: Did anyone else get waitlisted for interview?

I applied R1 and was waitlisted for interview. Haven't heard anything since the Dec 8 interview invites went out... Not really sure how this works--anywhere, really, but for Duke in particular. Anyone happen to know how what one can/should do with a "waitlisted for interview" application status? Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
yuskay wrote:
Hi guys.
I am a R2 applicant. Do you know where the Extended Periods of Travel section, below mentioned?

I found an instruction at section of Employment history saying [Note: Summer jobs while in school, part time jobs, gaps in employment, and any extended periods of travel should be added at the end in the Part Time Employment and Extended Periods of Travel section. Please be sure to account for all periods of time since college graduation.]

Bump for this. I don't see it either.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
 Q48  V44
GPA: 3.09
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Send PM
unhedged wrote:
yuskay wrote:
Hi guys.
I am a R2 applicant. Do you know where the Extended Periods of Travel section, below mentioned?

I found an instruction at section of Employment history saying [Note: Summer jobs while in school, part time jobs, gaps in employment, and any extended periods of travel should be added at the end in the Part Time Employment and Extended Periods of Travel section. Please be sure to account for all periods of time since college graduation.]

Bump for this. I don't see it either.

Not 100% sure what you guys are asking for but I think you enter extended periods of travel as if they were jobs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:UNC (R1), NCSU (R2), Duke (R2)
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: IT systems management
WE 2: telecom
Send PM
Please add me to the roll-call for R2! I just sent my application. All I can do is brace myself for a long wait till March 8th. I had interview during Weekend for Women, so there's nothing else for me in the next two months, beside floating anxieties.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [12]
Schools:Fuqua
Send PM
Kudos
Hello all. Current FY at Fuqua here. Praetorian sent a bunch of us who were active on this board last year a message asking us to share our experiences, having survived the first semester of B-school. To be honest, I haven't looked at this board much in the last 8 or so months, but I know where y'all are right now - so here's a warts-and-all perspective on Duke.

THE STUDENTS
With some notable exceptions, I have honestly been very impressed with the folks I go to school with. A lot of very sharp, interesting people. The "Team Fuqua" spirit is pressed on you Chinese-Reeducation-Camp style from Day One, and everyone gets along remarkably well. I think this is because virtually everyone is from out of town and bonds quickly with everyone else, which is nice, but also gives the school a somewhat summer-campy, insular feel (we have little or no interaction with the rest of the university, save for basketball games, which kick ass). I feel that I can go to any of my classmates and get a totally candid view on the industry in which they worked, and there is absolutely no sense of cutthroat-style competition whatsoever. I value that.

ACADEMICS
Huh? Oh, yeah, school... so Fuqua works on an SP/HP/P/LP/Fail system. You have to really work hard not to pass a class here - professors have to get written permission from a Dean and have contacted you *early* in the term to hand out an LP, and while I've heard rumors about it happening, I've never seen any evidence. In many classes (ex. core courses), there's a curve that ensures that no more than 15-20% of students will get an SP.

Let me be straight with you - the stuff you study at B-school ain't rocket science. You'll learn stuff about marketing, strategy, accounting and finance, for example, at a level that just is not that demanding. No one here is splitting the atom. There ARE projects that come along that demand a lot of time and attention, and every now and then there will be an assignment that requires you to think through things, but by and large, one thing you definitely do not need to worry about is the coursework being too intellectually challenging. Yes, there are some finance classes that are reputed to be really hard because of the math involved, but even that's just numbers and calculator stuff, not necessarily conceptually demanding.

Some random thoughts of mine about Fuqua that I think I would've liked to know:

* One reason Fuqua is ranked so highly is because of its research strengths. Professors here put out a ton of it, and are only required to teach something like one term a year, if that. I'm not so sure this is a net positive for students, though. By and large, I have been consistently impressed with the teaching I've received here (a particular finance professor notwithstanding) - but once you're done for the term, you will never see him/her again. They disappear into their research caves. If you're really into the topic, you might be able to get in on some research work with your favorite prof - but that's only a maybe. As such, the content of certain courses can vary term-to-term as different professors cycle in and out, and quality can vary. I think the emphasis on teaching rather than research is one area where Fuqua lacks.

* Fuqua devotes a lot of resources into fostering class bonding. I think this is a good thing, but occasionally I find it a little suffocating - which might just be a personal preference for keeping a little distance between my "real life" and my life at school.

* The facilities here are ridiculously nice. There's a ton of stuff to do, and forget the crap you may have heard about Durham - this is a great place to live. One hell of a lot cheaper than the city you're from, too.

* The B-school experience is exhausting, and I find that it's imperative that you set limits for yourself. Be willing to say "No" to meeting requests that impinge on your limits. Be willing to decline a team meeting on your Saturday afternoon, or be prepared to walk out of a meeting that's going on Hour 4 without any productive end. Be ready for confrontation as necessary with teammates who aren't pulling their fair share, and do so EARLY ON - problems like that do not go away.

* Think very carefully about what you want to do, and what you need to get out of this experience. There are some folks here (like at every school) who have no idea what they want to do with their career - and that leads them to shuttle between every info session, every career panel, every networking event, trying to give face time to everyone to keep all options open until the very last second. BAD IDEA, people. If you wanna do consulting, go for it. Finance, brand management, whatever - just don't try to be everything to everyone.

* The hothouse, clubby atmosphere of B-school leads people to compare themselves and their accomplishments not objectively, but comparatively to other B-school students. That is ridiculous. You will find that at no matter what school you attend, there are dozens of clubs, and many will have dozens (literally) of positions with titles like "Director," "Vice President for X," "Chairman," etc. This is done to plump resumes, and everyone knows it - including recruiters, many of whom did the same thing. 98% of club positions are nothing but thankless gruntwork, and lots of it, under the Orwellian guise of "leadership experience." (The irony is that there is little or no leadership involved in most of it.) If you're cool with that, go for it. If not, go get yourself an internship or something at a local firm and learn something from the real world.

This touches on career stuff too. Too often, people assume they have three options after school: Consulting, Finance, and "General Management" (including branding, marketing, etc.). "Non-Profit" is sort of in there too, but I find that very few people ever seriously consider that (hey, we're all in the hole here). The tendency towards herd mentality is tremendous - when EVERYONE is dropping resumes for Johnson & Johnson, or Citigroup, or American Express, and freaking out in December about not having an internship lined up already, anxiety and contagious stress takes over and people start seriously considering terrible jobs (ex. finance) that they never would have before.

* The women. The ladies at Fuqua really are as hot as you've heard.

* One last thing - realize that the views, perspectives and info you read on this website are in NO WAY representative of the real thing. Not even close. So if you're thinking that everyone here sounds like a total d-bag... don't worry. Real life will be different. Mostly, anyway.
VP
VP
Send PM
Nice post Toubab. I've been looking for candid insights into MBA at Fuqua.
+1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Corporate Finance
Schools:Haas (R2 - Waitlist), Fuqua (R1 - Accepted), Kellogg (R1 - Ding w/ Int), CBS (RD - Int)
GMAT 2: 720 GMAT 3: 730  Q48  V42
Send PM
Please add me to the roll-call for Round 1. I interviewed on campus in early November and am hoping for good news!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Duke R1, Cornell R2, Columbia RD, Darden R2 (withdrawn), Ross R2
GMAT 2: 720  Q47  V41
Send PM
two more (long) weeks and we'll know!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: HSM
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
Send PM
great post Toubab, +1. Thanks for the info, provided a realistic look that I came away from slightly sobered but still happy with my choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GRE 1: Q46 V37
GPA: 3.14
WE:Architecture (Other)
Send PM
Toubab wrote:

* The women. The ladies at Fuqua really are as hot as you've heard.

I've never heard any rumors about which MBA program has the hottest co-eds a la playboy, maxim, undergrad rankings. Could you expand upon this? Could this topic be worthy of its own thread?

When I attended Fuqua's info session they were big on welcoming partners into the community - so would it be a poor assumption to assume that many of these attractive Fuqua ladies you speak of are already married?

McCombs (UT-Austin) also discussed partners/couples and many of the alumni said that many of their classmates met their future wives there - is that typical? Not a priority obviously, but none the less another factor to some...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Fuqua
Send PM
Here's the lowdown on the ladies situation. Fuqua, like all b-schools, is disproportionately male, but significantly less so than at other schools. I'm sure you can find the actual breakdown somewhere, but my guess is that it's about 60/40. Fuqua goes to some lengths to recruit the ladies.

Moreover, a much greater percentage of dudes are married than women - which makes sense if you think about it. Not a lot of dudes want to follow their girlfriend/wife while she gets an MBA, though the reverse happens quite often. So the number of unattached men to women is pretty good, actually.

A lot of hooking up goes on at school, like at any other. Dating is less common, though - I think a lot of people are too cautious about the potential fallout of an unsuccessful match on their networking potential. That's a pretty douche-y way of thinking, obviously, but hey - it's business school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: HSM
Send PM
Per BW:

Full-time students in newest entering class (2009-2010) that are:

Female: 38 %
International: 39 %
Married: 28 %

I'd assume prevailing trends are still towards a more equal split year over year, so a 60/40 split for the class of 2012 is pretty spot on.
VP
VP
Send PM
I actually checked out the Fuqua Partners website during my application process. There's like 2 dudes and the rest are chicks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:IESE, Duke, Ross, Darden, McCombs, LBS
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V38
Send PM
Count me in for R2! Now for the sweet wait :wink:

Cheers Yall!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Submitted Duke for Round 2!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q42  V42
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Public Accounting - 2 yrs
WE 2: PE Fund Accounting - 3 yrs
Send PM
Please add me for R2

Submitting my app tonight. I interviewed during the Open Interview period in November.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  20   21   22   23   24   25   26  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts