Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 01:39 It is currently 07 May 2024, 01:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Need some advice on advancement [#permalink]
Expert Reply
shaselai wrote:
any suggestion for "safer" schools? should i just submit 6 in R1 and possibly more if i get rejected by them all? Will there be enough time from waiting for R1 to finish and possibly submit more in R2? just trying to prepare in case R1 didnt go well... Or should I just apply to the colleges with R1 earliest then try the rest?

Also consider UT Austin and Rochester if you want "safer" schools. Regarding timing, that depends on the notification dates of your round 1 submissions. Last year, many programs switched tonotifying R1 applicants in mid December. Thus they could easily submit in early January if they did not get good news from their R1 schools. However, not all schools do that.

If I were you submit to any schools that you really want to attend R1 -- especially if they have early notification dates. Then give yourself a few weeks off for good behavior. :-) and by early November start work on R2 apps. Hopefully you will never submit them, but if necessary they will be well on their way to completion. You can apply R2 to your second choice schools or those that are more likely to admit you.

Best,
Linda
Current Student
Send PM
Linda,

couple more followups..

1. Now is really early in the admission season for next year, if i start prepping now should i send my applications asap when R1 opens or wait a little and send it mid R1?

2. Many of the top schools i looked at has interview invite and some of the others have interview recommended. Should I initiate with the schools that has interview recommended or it wont matter much? Also, does the school decide if the interview will be phone/in person or my preference, and if it is my preference then in person is always the first choice right or phone is just as good if i cant make it.

thanks
Send PM
Expert Reply
shaselai wrote:
Linda,

couple more followups..

1. Now is really early in the admission season for next year, if i start prepping now should i send my applications asap when R1 opens or wait a little and send it mid R1?

2. Many of the top schools i looked at has interview invite and some of the others have interview recommended. Should I initiate with the schools that has interview recommended or it wont matter much? Also, does the school decide if the interview will be phone/in person or my preference, and if it is my preference then in person is always the first choice right or phone is just as good if i cant make it.

thanks

1. That is an excellent question. I think you are wise to start prepping early and writing as soon as the questions come out. However, even if you finish your application a month or two before it is due I recommend submitting much closer to the due date. Roughly two weeks before it's due, take it out and review. It's quite possible that the work you have done on later applications has clarified your thinking and will enable you to further improve and sharpen your essays. Make your changes, put the essays away for a day or two, proof the application one last time. Then submit about a week before the due date.
2. Yes, if the interview is optional, initiative the interview and take advantage of the option. If you have a choice between in person or telephone, and the cost of in-person is not prohibitive, go for in person, especially if it is with an adcom member. Prepare for your interview using the MBA Interview Feedback Database and Accepted's MBA Interview Prep Mini-course.

Best,
Linda
Current Student
Send PM
Linda,

how much weight does my grad gpa count when adcom is comparing gpas? Will they just focus on undergrad? I am asking this because there are some schools like yale,tuck that has the 10-90% gpa range of ~3.1-3.8 and if they do compare my 3.26 instead of the 2.93 it could mean a lot. Is it up to the schools or there's a formula they follow?

I also used the latest stats from usnews to compile the following: some figures changed my mind for selecting schools... any suggestions on putting reaches/targets in or exchange? I based the selection (especially those "instead of") on employ rate, gpa range and some GMAT. if the adcom considers my undergrad gpa exclusively then i would still be within range of North carolina, georgetown , ross, virginia, duke,carnegie - although it is toward the lower end but my gmat is above their averages so it *could* balance out.

Round 1:
NYU (picked out of tuck and columbia)
yale
georgetown
Virginia (instead of Ross)
Carnegie (instead of duke)
Kellog

Other consideration:
tuck
colombia,
ross
duke

SO WANT TO GET IN BUT NEED MIRACLE:
haas & BOOTH but chances are slim....
Send PM
Expert Reply
shaselai wrote:
Linda,

how much weight does my grad gpa count when adcom is comparing gpas? Will they just focus on undergrad? I am asking this because there are some schools like yale,tuck that has the 10-90% gpa range of ~3.1-3.8 and if they do compare my 3.26 instead of the 2.93 it could mean a lot. Is it up to the schools or there's a formula they follow?

I also used the latest stats from usnews to compile the following: some figures changed my mind for selecting schools... any suggestions on putting reaches/targets in or exchange? I based the selection (especially those "instead of") on employ rate, gpa range and some GMAT. if the adcom considers my undergrad gpa exclusively then i would still be within range of North carolina, georgetown , ross, virginia, duke,carnegie - although it is toward the lower end but my gmat is above their averages so it *could* balance out.

Round 1:
NYU (picked out of tuck and columbia)
yale
georgetown
Virginia (instead of Ross)
Carnegie (instead of duke)
Kellog

Other consideration:
tuck
colombia,
ross
duke

SO WANT TO GET IN BUT NEED MIRACLE:
haas & BOOTH but chances are slim....

They will focus more on the undergraduate GPA, but they will take the grad GPA into account. Also, don't exaggerate the importance of the raw number. In most cases, the grad GPA is higher than the undergrad GPA.

HEre is how I would assess it. (As usual this is not cast in concrete. )

Round 1:
NYU (picked out of tuck and columbia) Reach
yale Reach
georgetown Competitive
Virginia (instead of Ross) Competitive
Carnegie (instead of duke) Competitive
Kellog Reach

Other consideration:
tuck Reach
colombia, Reach
ross Reach
duke Competitive

I agree that Booth and Haas are stretches.

Best,
Linda
Current Student
Send PM
i see... it is more or less what i thought. which 2 of the reaches:
NYU,tuck,columbia,yale,kellog do you think i have the best chances at? I would love any of them. I will put in Duke or Ross as the other competitive instead of 3 reaches... thanks!
Send PM
Expert Reply
shaselai wrote:
i see... it is more or less what i thought. which 2 of the reaches:
NYU,tuck,columbia,yale,kellog do you think i have the best chances at? I would love any of them. I will put in Duke or Ross as the other competitive instead of 3 reaches... thanks!

NYU and Yale.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Hi Linda,

I have been reading all your replies and really appreciate them.
Below are some bullet points on my profile-
* Completed 4 years engineering degree from one of the top institute of India.
* Working with Accenture for last 3 years.
* Professional experience have been really good as I have received many awards and recognitions from client and management.
* Extra curric have been at undergrad level.

Could you please suggest the list of schools I should consider applying? I am still to write my GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q48  V21
Send PM
Hi Linda,

* Working with Mastek for last 3.6 years with 2 years of client side experience.

Could you please suggest the list of schools I should consider applying? My GMAT score is 560 (Q48,V21).

Thanks,

Bhushan
Send PM
Expert Reply
nirmalchawla wrote:
Hi Linda,

* Working with Accenture for last 3 years.
* Professional experience have been really good as I have received many awards and recognitions from client and management.

Could you please suggest the list of schools I should consider applying? I am still to write my GMAT.

After you take the GMAT, please post and provide the information that you gave above along with your percentage and rank at graduate. Also, please let me know what you want to do after you earn your MBA.

I don't have enough information above to make a recommendation.

Thanks,
Linda
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V21
Send PM
Hi Linda,

My GMAT score is 560(Q48,V21). I want to go in for an Business Analysis stream of Information Technology.

Please let me know if you require more details.

Thanks,

Bhushan
Send PM
Expert Reply
bnagdev282 wrote:
Hi Linda,

* Working with Mastek for last 3.6 years with 2 years of client side experience.

Could you please suggest the list of schools I should consider applying? My GMAT score is 560 (Q48,V21).

Thanks,

Bhushan

What do you want to do after your MBA? Where do you want to do it? Would you consider retaking the GMAT and focusing on your verbal score?

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V21
Send PM
Hi Linda,

Thanks for the reply. After my MBA i want to advance in the IT field which i am currently in and become a Project Manager or a Business Analyst and then later startup my own company. I want to do my MBA preferably of one year. I would not mind giving the GMAT again but wanted to get admitted this Sept or latest by Jan since i am some personal commitments.

Please let me know if you require any more details.

Thanks,

Bhushan
Send PM
Expert Reply
bnagdev282 wrote:
Hi Linda,

Thanks for the reply. After my MBA i want to advance in the IT field which i am currently in and become a Project Manager or a Business Analyst and then later startup my own company. I want to do my MBA preferably of one year. I would not mind giving the GMAT again but wanted to get admitted this Sept or latest by Jan since i am some personal commitments.

Please let me know if you require any more details.

Thanks,

Bhushan

Bhushan,

I strongly encourage you to retake the GMAT, focusing on your verbal score. It is a major handicap.

Assuming you improve that GMAT score so that your overall score ends up in the low to mid-600s, consider Babson, Rotman, UT, IE, and perhaps Vanderbilt.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V21
Send PM
Thanks Linda