Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 14:28 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 14:28
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Re: Should I try for an MBA [#permalink]
Before you pursue another academic degree. Talk to MBAs about what they do. Try a volunteer internship. See if you will like this. I am a Christian and we feel God calls us into being and knows what he wants from us. So we pray and ask for his will.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Marketing, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
ankateif wrote:
Do I have any chance to get in a top 20 school?

Male
MD graduated 2005 University of crete (Greece) 7.35/10
MSc 2007 University of crete (Biomedical sciences)9/10
PhD 2011 University of Crete expected (molecular medicine) 9.5/10
Worked at Boston University 5 years for my research
GMAT will take them soon (kaplan scores 620-630 i guess I can go up to 650 with some work)
TOEFL not taken yet (hopefully I can meet the criteria they ask)
Extracurricular activities nothing worth mentioning.
Top 10% in my class at high school
MENSA member
Volunteered for the Olympics (2004)

Is MBA for me?
If I get in a top 20 school will I be able to get a decent job?

Thank you in advance

We will be collecting all our profile evaluations and application review responses posted at GMATClub and other forums under the MyMBAAdmit thread to provide a single resource for our readers.

Highly qualified applicant with multiple degrees in the field of medicine assesses chances for an MBA.

ankateif wrote:

Male
GMAT will take them soon (kaplan scores 620-630 i guess I can go up to 650 with some work)
MENSA member

Is MBA for me?

Thank you in advance

Hi Anka,

You have impressive academic credentials and strong experience. The combination of those two will make it easier to get by on an average GMAT score of around 650. Your multiple degrees (and your strong performance in them) should mitigate any concerns about your academic abilities.

However, your degrees and your extensive medical experience also make it more imperative to answer the question: "Why MBA?", and to a lesser extent, "Why Now?" To answer this question in a manner that's convincing enough for the AdCom, you will have to develop career goals that demonstrate how you plan to chart your career in a different direction, and need an MBA to be able to do successfully. I see that as the main opportunity of your application - you are highly qualified and experienced in the medical arena, so the main question on the AdCom's mind is whether you have a well-thought plan on leveraging your newest degree (MBA) to its maximum benefit.

Career counseling is a service we offer at My MBA Admit to meet the needs of our clients who are facing situations like yours. As I often tell my clients, "MBA is not the destination, but a way to get there." We offer career counseling both separately and as part of our application consulting sessions. We help clients define their goals, assess their profile, and categorize their past experiences and future interests in order to create a career plan that is demonstrated through all components of the application. We recently helped a client define one career plan out of three conflicting options, and mentored another client to the realization that she wasn't looking for career advancement within her company but a career switch to entrepreneurship. If this is something we can help you with, do let us know.

If you have follow-up questions, go ahead and post them in the Ask My MBA Admit thread in this forum.

Feel free to drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com. Check out our Application Packages and Volume Discounts tailored to help with your admission needs.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I have updated my resume with my GMAT scores. Do I have chances for Harvard MIT or at least a top 10 school given that my GPA is low?
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
ankateif wrote:

Male
MENSA member

Is MBA for me?
I am updating with my GMAT score
Q50 V40 740

Thank you in advance

Hi,

Let me reply directly to the questions asked by you:

Is MBA for me?
You are the best person to answer this question. You need to introspect and find out why exactly do you intend to do an MBA and if MBA offers the right set of learning goals to help you reach your professional objectives.If you can justify your situation then you are very well in a B-school of your choice.

Getting a decent job is never a problem for people with your educational profile. However, you need to be precise on what exactly do you mean by a decent job. This is an extension of your earlier question, where you need to figure out why do you need an MBA, I mean what benefits to your career growth you look forward gaining from an MBA. If your motive is a relatively high paying job then surely you will land in one once you graduate from one of the top B-schools. However, to gain an admission you need to justify precisely to the admission committee through your essays as to what are your career goals (apart from a decent job specification!!).

Would be great if you wish to connect with me over mail so that I may understand your requirements better and attempt to furnish an effective advice.

With Best Regards,
Neha Singh
General Education
https://www.general-ed.com
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Marketing, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
ankateif wrote:
I have updated my resume with my GMAT scores. Do I have chances for Harvard MIT or at least a top 10 school given that my GPA is low?

Hi Anka,

Your GMAT score is certainly a strength of your profile. Good job! Although I understand your concerns about your lower undergraduate GPA, you have multiple degrees, qualifications and experience to help mitigate it.

The more important question is, as I mentioned before, "Why MBA?" and "Why Now?" Your profile, although impressive, doesn't immediately indicate business ambitions or MBA aspirations to me. Hence, I would again emphasize the importance of positioning your MBA candidacy to an AdCom in a way that makes sense - on why want to switch to business, why you need an MBA for it, and why do you need it now.

More questions? Email us at MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com for a free 30-minute consultation post a question in the Ask Admit World/My MBA Admit thread.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for all your replies.

It seems that I am must first think what I want and maybe ask the schools and see what they have to offer. Then I will the consultations. hopefully I will be able to find in person consultation in Boston.

For the time being I will enjoy my last summer vacation as a PhD student. Hopefully I will have one more summer as a student (B-school).

Thanks again!!!
GMAT Club Bot