Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 05:14 It is currently 23 May 2024, 05:14
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73337 [0]
Given Kudos: 19004
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Marketing, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
Re: Working as a Contractor [#permalink]
bb wrote:
shellarun wrote:
Hi,

I am an Indian IT professional with 4 yrs of work experience. I am planning to do my MBA in 2012.I am currently working in an Indian IT MNC as a senior developer and looking for a job change. I am offered being ITconsultant positions (for contract) in banks.Will my MBA prospects be affected if I take up contract positions instead of permanent jobs?

It would be great if you could guide me on this.

I have been a consultant for a long time, and I think it is more about what you do rather than what job structure you have W2 or 1099 in the US.

At the same time:
If you are working for a very large company and switching to a small unknown place as a consultant, this will weaken your position.
If you are able to show that you have worked at some impressive establishments/banks that have strong names, it is a win on a resume and a stronger play.

I think that is an excellent point. To discuss this a little further, it also makes sense to explain why you made the switch. What drove the job change - greater responsibilities, future prospects (especially with regard to an MBA and post-MBA career goals), building soft skills, exposure to a different industry, etc. Admissions committees frequently advise applicants to not leave any obvious questions unanswered - in your case, if you make the switch, proactively explaining your reasoning with credibility will go a long way towards a stronger application.

If the name of the new firm is smaller, explaining your reasoning behind the switch assumes even greater importance. However, don't focus on the name alone - what you did, even if it was a smaller firm, and the impact you had, can help mitigate any concerns from not being at a larger firm, where you might not have been able to have as much impact.

To discuss this further, please post your questions in the Ask My MBA Admit thread. Check out our Application Packages and Volume Discounts tailored to meet your admission needs.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi shellarun:
I run into this "issue" every season with IT contractors. I remember when I worked on large scale Peoplesoft implementations. There would always be the one programming guru who knew that one finance/accounting/costing module like the back of one's own hand. They usually billed out at $300+ an hour, while the rest of us argued over who got the last of the free bagels. :)

Anyhow this is the approach to framing your switch in the most positive light. You are not embarking on a series of short term projects, you are electing to form your own consulting firm and become a true entrepreneur, embracing smart risk. So you incorporate as an LLC, S or C Corp (or the Indian equivalent).

Here is a hint as well, do not name it after yourself and keep it pithy with respect to a company name (ie. something like "FocusPoint Solutions", rather than "Shellarun Super Consulting Guy" So when you create your resume, you have one header for your own firm and as "Director" of the firm. You then list the series of representative engagements under this header on your resume. So instead of rolling off one project, looking for work and moving onto another client site, you are removing this zig-zag nature by framing it as the continual development of your own firm, through the addition of new clients and experiences. If you can bring on some analysts or other IT resources, so much the better.

In this way, you change the game and you become someone who dictates the path as an entrepreneur. Then it is logical and expected that as an IT consulting firm and Director that you would be on a bunch of projects.

I really hope this helps as it is extremely effective in how your candidacy will be viewed. PM me and I will offer you very direct guidance on how to frame your message.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

shellarun wrote:
Hi,

I am an Indian IT professional with 4 yrs of work experience. I am planning to do my MBA in 2012.I am currently working in an Indian IT MNC as a senior developer and looking for a job change. I am offered being ITconsultant positions (for contract) in banks.Will my MBA prospects be affected if I take up contract positions instead of permanent jobs?

VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
shellarun wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

MBA application is independent of what your job situation is provided you have good enough rationale to explain it. In your specific case, it will not make much of a difference to your MBA application if you can explain your choice to move from permanent job to contractual position due to expansion in scope of opportunities to learn, interface independently with client, capacity to choose projects that will catalyze your career progression etc.
However, I trust that your specific reasons will make more sense while you are writing your application.

Cheers,
Neha Singh
General Education
Ph: 81055 70816
GMAT Club Bot