Last visit was: 10 Jun 2024, 00:55 It is currently 10 Jun 2024, 00:55
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11  ...  198   
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.3 from top 5 ivy
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink]
Hi all...a bit of a gmat club newbie....great to see all of the helpful advice!

Sorry if any of this was covered in the previous 9 pages, but thought I would get some questions across that I still feel uncertain about:

1) I realize that this is hard to quantify but how advantageous is applying ED for Sept entry (but towards the Oct deadline) vs. applying RD for Sept entry (but very early in the RD process)?

To provide some context, completely my fault, but it seems as though I initially misunderstood the rolling ED process. I was hoping that I would have enough time to re-take the gmat (scored a 700 flat on my first attempt) this summer and apply by early Sept. But as I read this thread it seems that applying so late in the ED process would probably be more competitive than applying extremely early in RD? Would it strategically make sense to wait after Oct or should I try to churn out an app by mid July with my CURRENT gmat score?

2) Also, if I did apply ED in mid July and get dinged, when is the earliest one can re-apply?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for the advice!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: NYU-R1 wait-list w/iv , Wharton-R2 (summer-waitlist; fall2010), INSEAD R2 (jan'11), CBS fall 2011 ED
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Please add me to the roll call as well. Sept-11 intake, ED round!

Has anyone been to the school yet for a visit? I went last year but had unfortunately checked the info-session date for the undergrad program. Met up with one of the adcom members anyway but I am thinking of revisiting before I submit. Clearadmit says the review period begins August 14th though it looks like the game is already on! I am planning to submit by end of July.

Roll Call Page Updated
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
iahmed wrote:
1) I realize that this is hard to quantify but how advantageous is applying ED for Sept entry (but towards the Oct deadline) vs. applying RD for Sept entry (but very early in the RD process)?

To provide some context, completely my fault, but it seems as though I initially misunderstood the rolling ED process. I was hoping that I would have enough time to re-take the gmat (scored a 700 flat on my first attempt) this summer and apply by early Sept. But as I read this thread it seems that applying so late in the ED process would probably be more competitive than applying extremely early in RD? Would it strategically make sense to wait after Oct or should I try to churn out an app by mid July with my CURRENT gmat score?

2) Also, if I did apply ED in mid July and get dinged, when is the earliest one can re-apply?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for the advice!

ED is always advantageous especially in these days of crisis, probably even more now that they don't post any starting date of review for RD (which worked as a deadaline within a deadline).

If you apply for ED the earliest you can re-apply is J-term 2012 intake (you can apply only once for intake).

Personal note, 700 GMAT is not that bad for CBS (mid 80% is 680-760 if I'm not mistaken), but most importantly you can apply and drop an e-mail to adcom and tell them you have already scheduled another round of GMAT and, in case you get a higher score, you can ask them to consider the last one, some friends of mine did exactly this way.

hm2009 wrote:
Clearadmit says the review period begins August 14th though it looks like the game is already on! I am planning to submit by end of July.

Roll Call Page Updated

From CBS website:

"We will begin evaluating complete* January and September Early Decision applications upon submission.

*Applications are considered complete only when all required materials have been received."

No indication of 14th Aug. I would guess that might be the date for waitlisted people since I presume Sept intake will begin on Aug 13th.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
i'd be more than a little upset if they opened up the ED application and made us scramble to get them in this early, just to pile up and not get reviewed until mid August.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Mine went under review on Jun 1st, they are working on our apps, don't worry... :wink:

Unfortunately I don't forecast any feedback before next three weeks for me (I've already been interviewed), so rather than this is the waiting game that turns a little down...

Fingers crossed anyway!
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
AppHappy wrote:
i'd be more than a little upset if they opened up the ED application and made us scramble to get them in this early, just to pile up and not get reviewed until mid August.

It seems that they are really taking their sweet time. My app went under review on June 1st. So far, nothing has changed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Friends - Can you give you thoughts on Columbia MBA for a career in consulting.

Thanks - KC
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:
It seems that they are really taking their sweet time. My app went under review on June 1st. So far, nothing has changed.

well i finally got mine submitted over the weekend and it went under review yesterday (so only one business day after submission). at least the stress of worrying that my application was somehow incomplete is gone now, but almost a whole month with no movement for you and marescotti is somewhat surprising.

quick question: i'm headed to nyc for some class visits on thursday. aside from registering to get a name tag before i go to the classes, is there anything else i'm supposed to do to make sure i get the credit for visiting campus?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
anyone's recommendation sources have trouble submitting recs? My source tried log in but get blank page....
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
AppHappy wrote:
lawgonebusiness wrote:

well i finally got mine submitted over the weekend and it went under review yesterday (so only one business day after submission). at least the stress of worrying that my application was somehow incomplete is gone now, but almost a whole month with no movement for you and marescotti is somewhat surprising.

quick question: i'm headed to nyc for some class visits on thursday. aside from registering to get a name tag before i go to the classes, is there anything else i'm supposed to do to make sure i get the credit for visiting campus?

Are you an American working in Shanghai or a local? Very curious about it, since I was born in Shanghai.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:
Are you an American working in Shanghai or a local? Very curious about it, since I was born in Shanghai.

I am a Taiwanese-born Canadian that has been living in the US for much of my life, working in Shanghai :lol: Looks like a syntax question for the GMAT verbal.

Are you trying to come back to shanghai post b-school? It's a lovely place.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
AppHappy wrote:
lawgonebusiness wrote:

I am a Taiwanese-born Canadian that has been living in the US for much of my life, working in Shanghai :lol: Looks like a syntax question for the GMAT verbal.

Are you trying to come back to shanghai post b-school? It's a lovely place.

Have lived most of my life in the US though I do have some relatives in Shanghai. I liked there last time I visited. Not sure about going to Asia to work, but everything may change down the road. In short, not ruling out the possibility.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AppHappy wrote:

but almost a whole month with no movement for you and marescotti is somewhat surprising.

I think that for my application one month with no movement is average, I'm a reapplicant and I've already been interviewed thus the only movement I'm expecting is a definitive feedback. As per LGB, although I fully understand how hard the waiting game can be I think that it would have been strange to get some movement before now.

If you really think about it it make sense, they make a huge selection before interview as only some 35% of the applicants get an invite (and only half of them get admitted).

As per campus visit, other than attending classes I think it make sense to drop by the adcom to have a brief chat with some people there.

Another thing you can do is to attend an info session with other prospective students but you have to check the available dates on the web-site (I actually skipped this last part because I had to fly back home...)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Kudos
Marescotti wrote:
AppHappy wrote:

but almost a whole month with no movement for you and marescotti is somewhat surprising.

I think that for my application one month with no movement is average, I'm a reapplicant and I've already been interviewed thus the only movement I'm expecting is a definitive feedback. As per LGB, although I fully understand how hard the waiting game can be I think that it would have been strange to get some movement before now.

If you really think about it it make sense, they make a huge selection before interview as only some 35% of the applicants get an invite (and only half of them get admitted).

As per campus visit, other than attending classes I think it make sense to drop by the adcom to have a brief chat with some people there.

Another thing you can do is to attend an info session with other prospective students but you have to check the available dates on the web-site (I actually skipped this last part because I had to fly back home...)

Most alum interviewers are not available in the summer anyway. So I think the interview invites will either come out early july or probably towards the end of august, which really makes the whole process way too long.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This could actually be true, I really hope for you that they'll get back to you before end of July
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Marescotti wrote:

thanks, i hadn't thought of dropping by adcom, that's a good idea.

end of august brings me back to my earlier comment about being more than a little unhappy :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
I guess even though adcom didn't specify "review start date", it is pretty much same as usual, 8/16 or around that time.

Despite my hatred for Arial font in BW Forum, I often check it but no movement.

And oh, yeah, dropping by adcom would not be a bad idea, but I think they would say the same thing -- "oh, our record indicates that your app is under review" :P
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11  ...  198