Last visit was: 08 Jun 2024, 02:42 It is currently 08 Jun 2024, 02:42
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12  ...  18   
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73517 [0]
Given Kudos: 19077
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: Best GMAT Books [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Beet wrote:
Good day,

I am new the GMAT and purchased the Kaplan Premier Book with CD-ROM basically solely based on the recommendation at the first post of this thread. The post says, "Recommended. Well-rounded guide for GMAT preparation. Questions are usually harder than GMAT and sometimes a bit off; however, the book comes with 5 GMAT Tests (1 in the book and 4 online)". I didn't have time to read through this whole thread, although now I'm wishing that maybe I did, because the original post does not mention that the CD does not work with Windows Vista. Instead it says the application requires "MCI drivers" to be installed.

At first I thought it was something wrong with me or my computer, but a quick Google search of "vista kaplan this application requires the mci drivers to be installed" reveals that instead,
(1) the software was never designed to work with Windows Vista,
(2) the book falsely claims the software works with Windows Vista,
(3) Kaplan is aware that their software doesn't work with Vista, and
(4) has known this for years, but
(5) has for years deliberately chosen to neither update its software nor to update the incorrect information printed in the Requirements section of their book (which basically makes it a lie).
(6) In order to get this CD to work, you have to buy Windows XP, which is no longer supported by Microsoft, build an ISO file, download Microsoft Virtual PC, and then install an entirely new computer solely for the CD.

Basically, Kaplan is giving a big middle finger to all of its Windows Vista customers. Had I known this I would NOT have purchased this book!

Thank you - Kudos for pointing this out.

You are correct. Vista/windows7 is not technically supported but you can make it work with compatibility settings (I have succeeded at it). However, no need to fiddle with it if you have Win7 or MacOS.

However, if you have internet access (if for some members), You don't really need the CD - you have the same access to the tests online (actually have 5 tests online vs 4 on the CD).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hello,
I am new to this site and this is my first post here. I have decided to give GMAT exam in the next 4 months and started my journey from the valuable information given here. Thanks for all the information available here and it definitely makes any newbie life easier.

Based on book suggestions here, I have purchased 'Manhattan GMAT' set & OG Verbal/Quantitative Review guides. I am just thinking of going through the MGMAT Guide as per the numbering 1 through 8, to start with. Any suggestions on any particular sequence that I should follow ?

Thanks.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
aries wrote:
Hello,
I am new to this site and this is my first post here. I have decided to give GMAT exam in the next 4 months and started my journey from the valuable information given here. Thanks for all the information available here and it definitely makes any newbie life easier.

Based on book suggestions here, I have purchased 'Manhattan GMAT' set & OG Verbal/Quantitative Review guides. I am just thinking of going through the MGMAT Guide as per the numbering 1 through 8, to start with. Any suggestions on any particular sequence that I should follow ?

Thanks.

Welcome!

Don't think there is a must-have sequence. The 1-8 is a good approach - that's kind of how I studied. Tried Quant first; got comfortable with gmat and had a victory to motivate me to overcome Verbal. If you are better at verbal, consider starting with it.

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I can't even begin to thank you enough bb ! Can buy you a gift or something ? a wallet a handbag anything !
I just came back from my second try for the GMAT ,, :P

MGMAT makers should get a noble prize! don't you think ? :P ,, at least their quantitive guides should - i only had enough time to finish the sentence correction of the verbal which was also great.
Their guides have been so helpful its just amazing you get to learn so much from the very basics and they break it down so simply that you have to be an idiot not to understand :lol:

Seriously amazing books everyone should get them .. I have them to thank, along with this amazing forum which led me to them in the first for moving from 490 to 680 ! my Q from 29P to 77 ! and that's without finishing them
Obviously I'm still exited :P

Think I should try it once more time in a month of so ?

Again and again .. Thank you MGMAT ,, Thank you GMAT club ,,Thank you AMERICA ! .... okey i got a little carried away :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hey everyone!
Just wanna say that I love this forum, you all are more helpful than I could have ever expected!

With that ( :-D ), I'm ready to begin studying for the GMATs and after a long search on the forum and reading amazon reviews, I've decided to purchase these 6 books. I just wanted your opinion on whether these books are good and in depth studying materials.

1. Kaplan GMAT 2011 Premier with CD-ROM (Kaplan Gmat Premier Live) [Paperback]

2. The PowerScore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible: A Comprehensive System for Attacking the GMAT Critical Reasoning Questions [Paperback]

3. The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 12th Edition [Paperback]

4. Sentence Correction GMAT Preparation Guide, 4th Edition (Manhattan GMAT Preparation Guides) [Paperback]

5. Number Properties GMAT Strategy Guide, 4th Edition (Manhattan GMAT Preparation Guides) [Paperback]

6. Word Translations GMAT Preparation Guide, 4th Edition (Manhattan GMAT Preparation Guides) [Paperback]

It boils down to the Kaplan GMAT 2011 Premier book and the OG (12th edition), 2 verbal books (Sentence Correction from Manhattan and Critical Reasoning from Powerscore), and 2 math books (Number Properties and Word Translations both from Manhattan).

Thoughts? :?:

Thanks!!!!!!! :lol:
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73517 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Happy for you. Great improvement!

Congratulations!!!!

FutureDr wrote:
I can't even begin to thank you enough bb ! Can buy you a gift or something ? a wallet a handbag anything !
I just came back from my second try for the GMAT ,, :P

MGMAT makers should get a noble prize! don't you think ? :P ,, at least their quantitive guides should - i only had enough time to finish the sentence correction of the verbal which was also great.
Their guides have been so helpful its just amazing you get to learn so much from the very basics and they break it down so simply that you have to be an idiot not to understand :lol:

Seriously amazing books everyone should get them .. I have them to thank, along with this amazing forum which led me to them in the first for moving from 490 to 680 ! my Q from 29P to 77 ! and that's without finishing them
Obviously I'm still exited :P

Think I should try it once more time in a month of so ?

Again and again .. Thank you MGMAT ,, Thank you GMAT club ,,Thank you AMERICA ! .... okey i got a little carried away :P
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73517 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yes, these look good. Very comprehensive.
I see you skipped RC - any particular reason?

GrumpiBear501 wrote:
Hey everyone!
Just wanna say that I love this forum, you all are more helpful than I could have ever expected!

With that ( :-D ), I'm ready to begin studying for the GMATs and after a long search on the forum and reading amazon reviews, I've decided to purchase these 6 books. I just wanted your opinion on whether these books are good and in depth studying materials.

1. Kaplan GMAT 2011 Premier with CD-ROM (Kaplan Gmat Premier Live) [Paperback]

2. The PowerScore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible: A Comprehensive System for Attacking the GMAT Critical Reasoning Questions [Paperback]

3. The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 12th Edition [Paperback]

4. Sentence Correction GMAT Preparation Guide, 4th Edition (Manhattan GMAT Preparation Guides) [Paperback]

5. Number Properties GMAT Strategy Guide, 4th Edition (Manhattan GMAT Preparation Guides) [Paperback]

6. Word Translations GMAT Preparation Guide, 4th Edition (Manhattan GMAT Preparation Guides) [Paperback]

It boils down to the Kaplan GMAT 2011 Premier book and the OG (12th edition), 2 verbal books (Sentence Correction from Manhattan and Critical Reasoning from Powerscore), and 2 math books (Number Properties and Word Translations both from Manhattan).

Thoughts? :?:

Thanks!!!!!!! :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Welcome!

Don't think there is a must-have sequence. The 1-8 is a good approach - that's kind of how I studied. Tried Quant first; got comfortable with gmat and had a victory to motivate me to overcome Verbal. If you are better at verbal, consider starting with it.

Good Luck![/quote]

Thanks bb. I am comfortable with Quant than Verbal. So I will continue with 1-8 approach as I am doing now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Hello,

The Veritas series of 15 books is not usually mentioned in forums. Did anyone try it and can share some feedback?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
gmattester123 wrote:
dumbasbricks wrote:

"Always Check Your Work: Confirm your calculations ... with your calculator"

WTF? Nowhere in the book does Mark Alan Stewart advise the reader that calculators aren't permitted on the GMAT and it appears Mark Alan Stewart assumes calculators can be used on the GMAT. There seem to be numerous quantitative questions throughout the book that require the use of a calculator to solve it.

I feel sorry for other students who only own this book for their GMAT preparation and did all their studying using a calculator.

hahahaha...i can't believe someone actually wrote a book about the GMAT not knowing the most basic rules.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
score780 wrote:
Hello,

The Veritas series of 15 books is not usually mentioned in forums. Did anyone try it and can share some feedback?

See over here: veritas-prep-books-vs-manhattan-gmat-books-96701.html
(they have been out only a month, I have not added them yet, but do shortly). Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Send PM
Dude, I just picked up my Manhattan Gmat Self-Prep Set for 40.00, including the official review 11th, and 12th edition
plus I bought the Official Gmat Verbal & Quant + Kaplan Premier 2010 for 12.00....

Wish me luck in getting ready for the GMAT!!! Anyother studying books I should get, hit me up or reply.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Books and study plans have been updated!

- Added Veritas Guides
- Took off some old books
- Moved book order
- Adjusted study plans
- Clean up & misc

Enjoy :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3226 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Dear all,
I read somewhere in this forum that Kaplan advanced 2009-2010 is same as Kaplan 800. However, to my surprise, I found these two separate books in the bookstore.
I need your inputs to understand which book is best suited for tough practice questions (especially quant).

Many thanks, in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
thanks for sharing... this is very useful info for newbies like me..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Okay guyes, I have weak conecpt in Math And I am slow reader in verbal ? what are the best books ?
For math, I heard of MGMAT and kaplen dont know which one to buy ? thanks
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
xmagedo wrote:
Okay guyes, I have weak conecpt in Math And I am slow reader in verbal ? what are the best books ?
For math, I heard of MGMAT and kaplen dont know which one to buy ? thanks

MGMAT is more detailed, so would suggest you get the 8 MGMAT Guides and be good to go; alternatively, you can get the Veritas Guides - they just came out but there seems to be more value with MGMAT bundle in terms of tests & price.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12  ...  18