Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:25 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Enterpreneurship, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 7.51
WE 1: 5 year in Energy
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools:Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Enterpreneurship, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 7.51
WE 1: 5 year in Energy
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink]
Avernusaur wrote:
RogerDodger wrote:
I'm starting with other school essays first, but I've decided (for me personally) Sloan's essay prompts are the most difficult to answer. Why can't they ask about my post-MBA goals like every other school :wink:

Roll call updated.

It's interesting that you say that. Because I started with MIT's essays, I'm actually a little annoyed to see some of my other schools provide such limited space to discuss my leadership experiences. Even Haas makes you fit your most significant accomplishment into 250 words.

Why can't we just submit one application to all of the schools :(

I thoroughly agree with you..it suck big time to prepare for 3-4 apps and if a person doesn't qualify for either of them, all the hardwork of 3-4 months is gone down the drain. I have experienced this and and its a frustrating feeling. Better they prepare one common application for all the schools or have same questions atleast!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm with RogerDodger on this one. After my first drafts for Kellogg's and Haas's essays, I'm drawing a blank for Sloan's essays. For whatever reason, I can't seem to find ways to fit my experiences into these essays. I don't have a good feeling about Sloan, and I've barely begun!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
R1 for me.
Current Student
Send PM
Avernusaur wrote:
RogerDodger wrote:
I'm starting with other school essays first, but I've decided (for me personally) Sloan's essay prompts are the most difficult to answer. Why can't they ask about my post-MBA goals like every other school :wink:

Roll call updated.

It's interesting that you say that. Because I started with MIT's essays, I'm actually a little annoyed to see some of my other schools provide such limited space to discuss my leadership experiences. Even Haas makes you fit your most significant accomplishment into 250 words.

Why can't we just submit one application to all of the schools :(

Haas' entire set of short answer questions will be interesting. :evil:

Wiredo - glad to hear I'm not alone. I'm also bummed Sloan limits you to examples from the past 3 years only. I deployed to the Middle East so I would have liked to describe my experience there, but that was more than 3 years ago. :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:rd1: Haas, Ross ; rd2: ISB
Send PM
Agree, 3 yr limit is very challenging. It is even more challenging for a re-applicant like me as one of my significant accomplishment has been rolled off the radar of a 3 yr moving window. Since I cannot mention the ones I wrote about last yr, I've to come up with new experiences for all the essays.

They really try to showcase their value of innovation ( & their 'hand and mind' motto) by asking for a different set and type(action based) of essays than most other schools. I gathered from their info session that unless it is a long term thing that extends into the last 3 yrs, they really do want us to confine us to the last 3 yrs. They know that most students switch careers, so they are least bothered about our career goals.
I say to myself that if I cannot overcome these challenges as a future business leader ;) , I deserve a ding. Saying this to myself keeps me going :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Why can't you use last year's accomplishments? It falls within the three year range and there is no guarantee that last year's application will be read.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I will definitely use last year's accomplishments in some places. However, the essays need to look refreshing. Although, the appln need to stand out by itself, I think they do look at last yr's application to see what efforts you've taken to improve your candidacy.
Current Student
Send PM
gogetter08 wrote:
Agree, 3 yr limit is very challenging. It is even more challenging for a re-applicant like me as one of my significant accomplishment has been rolled off the radar of a 3 yr moving window. Since I cannot mention the ones I wrote about last yr, I've to come up with new experiences for all the essays.

They really try to showcase their value of innovation ( & their 'hand and mind' motto) by asking for a different set and type(action based) of essays than most other schools. I gathered from their info session that unless it is a long term thing that extends into the last 3 yrs, they really do want us to confine us to the last 3 yrs. They know that most students switch careers, so they are least bothered about our career goals.
I say to myself that if I cannot overcome these challenges as a future business leader ;) , I deserve a ding. Saying this to myself keeps me going :)

Ah yes, 'mens et manus' -- I actually like Slaon's values/approach... it's just causing me heartburn since I have to demonstrate how I fit into the culture.

(roll call updated)

Kudos on staying motivated. Hopefully we can all give each other a little inspiration over the next couple months.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Well, if you ask me, the 3 years limit doesn't hurt me a bit. As it is, I am a early career MBA aspirant with around 2 years of work ex only atm. So all my professional accomplishments ,including "getting a job" come into play. I believe it puts me at a advantage over other more experienced candidates who are not allowed to dig into their past.
Current Student
Send PM
inclinedplatform wrote:
Well, if you ask me, the 3 years limit doesn't hurt me a bit. As it is, I am a early career MBA aspirant with around 2 years of work ex only atm. So all my professional accomplishments ,including "getting a job" come into play. I believe it puts me at a advantage over other more experienced candidates who are not allowed to dig into their past.

That's definitely a good strategy for Sloan and I'm glad you brought it up. I never thought much of it, but a few months ago I set out to join a smaller company and left my Big4 consulting firm in order to do so. Risky move in this job climate - so maybe I'll highlight that.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Everyone have a good weekend? I think I'm mostly done with my MIT essays, but I'll probably review them again after my Haas essays to see if there's any new content to work in.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Avernusaur wrote:
Everyone have a good weekend? I think I'm mostly done with my MIT essays, but I'll probably review them again after my Haas essays to see if there's any new content to work in.

Please add me to the roll call for R1.
I am pretty much done with the essays too, however I probably won't send my recommenders the link till after labor day and submit sometime in late September.

Does anyone know where I can find the recommender questions for MIT? One of my recommenders wanted to look at them and just brainstrom his ideas.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I don't think they've them online. The best way to obtain them is to fill the application partially and add the recommenders' list. He/She'll get a link to the Qs.

Here is the set from last year.

1. How long and in what capacity have you known the applicant?
2. How does the applicant stand out from others in a similar capacity?
3. Please provide an example of the applicant's impact on a person, group, or organization.
4. Please provide a representative example of how the applicant interacts with other people.
5. Which of the applicant's personal or professional characteristics would you change?
6. Please tell us anything else you think we should know about this applicant.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
gogetter08 wrote:
I don't think they've them online. The best way to obtain them is to fill the application partially and add the recommenders' list. He/She'll get a link to the Qs.

Here is the set from last year.

1. How long and in what capacity have you known the applicant?
2. How does the applicant stand out from others in a similar capacity?
3. Please provide an example of the applicant's impact on a person, group, or organization.
4. Please provide a representative example of how the applicant interacts with other people.
5. Which of the applicant's personal or professional characteristics would you change?
6. Please tell us anything else you think we should know about this applicant.

thanks gogetter!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GRE 1: Q165 V161
GPA: 3.6
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
I am in for Round 1.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
I am in round 2.

Possible reason why last 3 years is that this period includes crises and how you guys performed well during this period.
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Avernusaur
I am interested in applying to sloan too.. You mentioned talking to adcom in your cover letter points below.. - interactions with students and admissions officers - can you please elaborate.. I am getting into the game and would like to know how to do this - is a visit necessary? do we set up appointments with alumni? Please enlighten.. Thanks
MainHoon

Avernusaur wrote:
Avernusaur wrote:
coffeeaddict wrote:
in for R1.
Does anyone else think MIT's requirement of only using experiences within the last 3 years is difficult? For the 3 essays plus the cover letter, you need four solid accomplishments. 3 years seems like too short a time!

I didn't have any difficulty finding 3 unique stories for the essays, but I've had a pretty action-packed 3 years (fortunately). I haven't finished my cover letter yet, so I'll share more detailed opinions after I've formed them. Generally speaking, the cover letter should be used to express your interest and fit with the program, so you shouldn't need a fully-developed unique "story" for that component of the application.

I'm quoting myself....

I wrote the first draft of my cover letter today and I think it came out pretty good. However, I didn't fully elaborate on a detailed example of "how" I had an impact on an organization. I listed a couple of accomplishments, all of which were positive impacts on the organization, but I didn't devote a paragraph to elaborating on a story. Has anyone talked to the adcom about this yet? I might call them tomorrow for clarification.

Directions: "Describe your accomplishments and include an example of how you had an impact on a group or organization."

I wrote about:
-Why I'm seeking a place in the program
-How I've researched the program (interactions with students and admissions officers)
-Details about me (accomplishments/development/impact)
-Features of the program I'd like to help develop
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  108   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts