Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 02:57 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Calling ISB 2012 Applicants - Let's Roll [#permalink]
SS2010 wrote:
Hi ThinkISB,

Could you pls evaluate my chances for making it to ISB? I intend to apply in R2

Undergraduate degree : Engineering (from a reputed Indian engineering college)
Work Experience : 37 months (around 45 months at matriculation)
GPA : 3.0
GMAT : 710

Work experience details -Have been working for an Auto manufacturer (MNC) for the entire work ex duration in the Program management function of Mini cars. Worked for 2.5 yrs on the launch of a new mini car. I have not had any direct reportees but by virtue of my role as Program manager, had a lot of ppl reporting cross functionally to me.

Thanks in advance,
SS

Dear S2010,

Please find a cursory evaluation;

Very weak-Weak-Average-Fair-Strong

1. Acads: 'Average'. A fairly good GMAT. The undergrad GPA of 3.0 is a little on the lower side. But that will do.
2. WE: 'Average'.Sounds interesting. You can project expertise in the auto segment and to narrow it down further, the small car segment.
3. EC: No info
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi,

Need your clarification in one point : For the International Programme in Management for Executives at IIM,Lucknow,does the official GMAT score need to reach the mentioned school before its deadline date,ie.30/10/2010?

Please clarify.

Thanks.

Niladri.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how are mychances of getting into ISB:

B.Tech (Honors) Electronics and Telecommunications
I have 7.5 years of wrk exp (as of march2011) as Techical Consultant with MNCs like Cisco Systems, Alcatel-Lucent, Nortel in Telecom/Networking Domain.
Have good number of awards for work.
(work exp in India only, but have been to many countries for short professional visits)

Good EC: University sports: 3 gold medals and 2 silver medals, have been University sports Sports Secretary and coordinator.

been actively involved in community service for past 3-4 years.

GMAT: 660 (Q-48, V 33)/ 5.0 [ Gmat score is the problem :( ]

I have appplied for ISB R1 few days back.

Regards,
AK
Send PM
gauragar wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how are mychances of getting into ISB:

B.Tech (Honors) Electronics and Telecommunications
I have 7.5 years of wrk exp (as of march2011) as Techical Consultant with MNCs like Cisco Systems, Alcatel-Lucent, Nortel in Telecom/Networking Domain.
Have good number of awards for work.
(work exp in India only, but have been to many countries for short professional visits)

Good EC: University sports: 3 gold medals and 2 silver medals, have been University sports Sports Secretary and coordinator.

been actively involved in community service for past 3-4 years.

GMAT: 660 (Q-48, V 33)/ 5.0 [ Gmat score is the problem :( ]

I have appplied for ISB R1 few days back.

Regards,
AK

Dear gauragar,

Chances of admission consists of several subjective factors that no one can accurately comment on without looking at your complete profile and having detailed discussion about what you have done. From a cursory look, your profile looks good. You must have done a detailed analysis yourself and answered the following questions to yourself: What did you win the awards at work for? I'm sure you know that is more important to mention than just the awards. In your 7.5 years of experience, where and how did you demonstrate teamwork and leadership skills?

These are more important and subjective factors that define your candidature. Your extra currics are good but most of them are from university level which do not matter much now. Your community involvement is something which can play in important if that is one extra curric activity where you are involved currently.

Your GMAT is a concern but it all depends on your overall application. Well now since you have applied, focus on forward looking items and prepare for your interview rather than worry about something that you cannot change now.

All the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
niladri1976 wrote:
Hi,

Iam Niladri from West Bengal,India.Iam targeting the ISB,Hyderabad for the 1 year Executive program course.I have a 10 year work ex in Banks and NBFCs with my current assignment in Axis Bank in the Operations department as Deputy Manager.
I have completed my Post Graduation in Eco. and part time 3 year MBA course from IISWBM,Calcutta University.

Kindly help in analysing my profile for the ISB and what score do I have to target in the GMAT for having any realistic chance of getting through.

Thanks.

Niladri.

Hi Niladri,

I am assuming that you are planning to target the regular PGP program at ISB. For that you must aim at something in the range of 670-700. For this program your profile is strong as compared to the average applicant profile.

If you are targeting the PGPMAX ( part time program) than GMAT is not mandatory. But for PGPMAX your profile might be weak as you will be competing with applicants with lots of managerial experience and average work ex of 15 years.

Cheers
goISB Team
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello all,

Had a few questions related to the application. Will be really helpful if ISB alumni or those who have already applied could guide.

- Employment Details

1. I have played different roles over the last 3.5 years in the company I am presently working with. Should I mention just the current role under 1 company or list the same company multiple times for different roles. These roles were in different functions over different periods of time.

2. Selecting the 'Industry' for the company I am working with - I joined the company at a start-up stage and the company has undergone changes in the business model and is now focused on a specific business. Is it fine if I select 'Others' and add the industry name.

3. The previous organization I was working with was actually a non-profit, but had two for-profit ventures as well. Thought I spent only 9 months in that organization, I was involved with all three initiatives. What is the best way to enter these while filling employment details? Add three separate organizations? Add the the main organization and mention my work for the other two initiatives under Job Responsibilities and Job Achievements?

Education Details -

4. How accurate must the dates for class 12th and UG studies be? The instructions say that the dates should not clash with any other full-time studies or work. Honestly, I don't remember the exact dates. I am hoping it is fine if I add dates in the correct months and not the exact dates.

5. Percentages in 12th and UG - up to how many decimal points? I missed 90% in 12th by 1 mark and ended up with 89.8%. So do I just go ahead with 89.8 or can I mention 90%. Won't make much of a difference I guess, but still. (An aside - I ended up with 690 in the GMAT. 700 would have been a better figure. Psychological mark, as the cricket commentators would say)

Thanks!
Send PM
[quote"greenbottle"]1. I have played different roles over the last 3.5 years in the company I am presently working with. Should I mention just the current role under 1 company or list the same company multiple times for different roles. These roles were in different functions over different periods of time. [/quote]
If you have significant achievements to show under all the roles, you can mention that separately because each role gives you only 3 sentences to mention your role and achievement. If it is repeated, do not mention that way and make it sound boring. Also, if you have risen certain ranks within the company, what you considered achievement 3 years ago might seem petty now. So avoid including too many details and make it sound like an application of someone with 3.5 years of work-ex.

Quote:
2. Selecting the 'Industry' for the company I am working with - I joined the company at a start-up stage and the company has undergone changes in the business model and is now focused on a specific business. Is it fine if I select 'Others' and add the industry name.

Enter whatever industry the company is in as of today. What is the company known for?

Quote:
3. The previous organization I was working with was actually a non-profit, but had two for-profit ventures as well. Thought I spent only 9 months in that organization, I was involved with all three initiatives. What is the best way to enter these while filling employment details? Add three separate organizations? Add the the main organization and mention my work for the other two initiatives under Job Responsibilities and Job Achievements?

No, it is one organization and not 3. Add one organization and mention all you did as separate achievements.

Quote:
Education Details -

4. How accurate must the dates for class 12th and UG studies be? The instructions say that the dates should not clash with any other full-time studies or work. Honestly, I don't remember the exact dates. I am hoping it is fine if I add dates in the correct months and not the exact dates.

IT won't make any difference if you graduated on 3rd April or 20th April. Just April should be good. If you actually did not overlap graduation and full time work, write approx dates of graduation and enable that. You must rem actual date of starting work.

Quote:
5. Percentages in 12th and UG - up to how many decimal points? I missed 90% in 12th by 1 mark and ended up with 89.8%. So do I just go ahead with 89.8 or can I mention 90%. Won't make much of a difference I guess, but still. (An aside - I ended up with 690 in the GMAT. 700 would have been a better figure. Psychological mark, as the cricket commentators would say)

It is completely your wish. Ideally, write what you got. Do not round off 690 to 700.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot ThinkISB!

Of course, I won't mention 700 instead of 690! Was just saying that a figure of 700 and above is more fun to say than 690.

Some more details about the company and the profile. Would really appreciate your inputs on this.

The company I am working with is a consumer internet company and has gone through multiple transitions in the business models. Starting off as a social networking site, then building a campus network for colleges and is now focusing education. There was also a period when it was actively involved in developing applications on the Open Social platform for sites like Orkut etc.

For the industry field, I am planning to add the company under others and mention the industry as Consumer Internet. Hope this is fine.

I am one of the earliest employees(#6) and have played key roles through the different phases. Each phase has had its set of challenges and I would like to showcase my contributions in an effective way.

Considering such a case, is it suggested that I split these into different 'organizations' or add all these details under one organization.
Send PM
greenbottle wrote:

For the industry field, I am planning to add the company under others and mention the industry as Consumer Internet. Hope this is fine.

Yes, this should be fine, as long as the option of Internet is not there.

Quote:
I am one of the earliest employees(#6) and have played key roles through the different phases. Each phase has had its set of challenges and I would like to showcase my contributions in an effective way.

Considering such a case, is it suggested that I split these into different 'organizations' or add all these details under one organization.

This somehow does not seem right. Logically, it is the same organization. And everyone gets a role change and get to contribute in more effective manner as they grow in an organization. You seem to be having a problem of showing your contribution across different roles and how you can show your growth in the application form. We suggest you do that in the essays and use the form to only talk about your current role and overall achievements.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Here is my profile:
27 years/Female/ Indian
Undergrad: Engineering, India
1 year Long Distance executive program done from IIMC
Total Work Ex: 5+ years (IT Sector)
International Work Ex: 2 months (US)
GMAT: 650 (q48,v31)
low gpa
EC: Won award for excellence at work,participated and won in inter IBU contests at my company in TT and Badminton and some random community service.

What are my chances in ISB ?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello all, just wanted to know if people have started receiving interview calls for R1 :?:

I feel like I submitted my application ages ago, and there's not a peep from ISB. :roll:

Thanks!
mba-shemba.

--------------------------------------------
I get enough exercise just pushing my luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy, Innovation
Schools:ISB,INSEAD,Yale,CMU,Darden,UNC
 Q47  V40
GPA: 3.35
WE 1: Mechanical Engineering - New Product Development (3 years)
WE 2: Market Research & Consulting (less than a year)
WE 3: Mechanical Engineering - New Product Development (2 years)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,
I got my interview call yesterday. I will be at ISB for my interview on Oct 9.
vishnupr
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Vishnupr...All the best for your interview! Do post your experience here..! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1402 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi
I also got my call for Interview at Hyderabad. Will be there on 9th.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneuship- Sustainable Manufacturing
Schools:Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
 Q43  V27 GMAT 2: 700  Q45  V41
GPA: 2.1
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Send PM
Not applying to ISB anymore. Had initially thought to apply in R2 for keeping ISB in the safety net
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
 Q49  V41
WE 1: 1 Year Research & Development
WE 2: 7.5 Years IT Consultant
Send PM
shekharvineet wrote:
Not applying to ISB anymore. Had initially thought to apply in R2 for keeping ISB in the safety net

Hi Shekharvineet, Did you already get admit in some school?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneuship- Sustainable Manufacturing
Schools:Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
 Q43  V27 GMAT 2: 700  Q45  V41
GPA: 2.1
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Send PM
No. Not applying because my Gmat is scheduled later. That's why I am only applying to some European schools and a few US schools in the second round. Moreover I am currently residing in Europe and would like to do my MBA ideally from a top European B school

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  18   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts