Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 299 [98]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619183 [24]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1562 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: MGMAT CAT1 Question 11 [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
mmcooley33 wrote:
Alan’s regular hourly wage is 1.5 times Barney’s regular hourly wage, but Barney gets paid at twice his regular wage for any hours he works on Saturday. Both men work an integer number of hours on any given day. If Alan and Barney each worked for the same total non-zero number of hours last week, and earned the same total in wages, which of the following must be true?

I. Alan worked fewer hours Monday through Friday than did Barney.
II. Barney worked at least one hour on Saturday.
III. Barney made more money on Saturday than did Alan.

I only

II only

I and II only

I and III only

II and III only

I would just like to see the equation written out, so I can visualize the problem. I am having trouble conceptualizing the problem. I understand the a=1.5b but I would like to see how the second part is written when they have equal hours and equal pay. Thanks,

Although I don't think that algebraic way is the best for this problem, here you go:

Let Barney's regular hourly wage be \(x\), then his Saturday wage will be \(2x\) and Alan's hourly wage will be \(1.5x\);

Let the # of hours Barney worked Monday through Friday be \(m\) and on Saturday be \(n\) and the # of hours Alan worked Monday through Friday be \(p\) and on Saturday be \(q\);

Given: \(xm+2xn=1.5x(p+q)\) and \(m+n=p+q\).

\(xm+2xn=1.5x(p+q)\) --> \(m+2n=1.5(m+n)\) --> \(m=n\) --> Barney worked the equal # of hours Monday-Friday and on Saturday.

The above directly tells us that II must be true (as Barney worked total non-zero # of hours and he worked an integer # of hours on any given day then he must have been worked at least one hour on Saturday.)

As for I: Alan may have worked ALL his hours Monday through Friday so in this case this statement is not true (p=total>m). Alan also may have worked all his hours on Saturday. Or algebraically: there are any distribution possible between p and q, p=0 and q=total or p=total and q=0 or any other;

The above means that III is also not always true: if Alan worked all his hours on Saturday then he made all his money on Saturday thus he made more money on Saturday than Barney did.

Answer: B (II only).

But the above can also be done with much less algebra:

As Alan and Barney worked the same # of hours and earned the same amount of money, then their hourly average wages must have been the same: (average wage)=(total amount earned)/(# of hours worked). Now, Alan has constant hourly wage which is \(1.5*x\) and Barney's average (\(\frac{xm+2xn}{m+n}\)) to be equal to this he must have been worked the equal # of hours Monday-Friday and on Saturday, so \(m=n\).

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

I'm having a hard time figuring out why statement III is wrong when NOT done algebraically.

I approached this problem conceptually: II is correct is rather easy to see. When it comes to III, the statement says that Barney made more money on Saturday than Alan. Correct?

Doesn't that HAVE to be true? What I mean by that is -- if Barney worked AT LEAST 1 hour on saturday, his salary is 2x vs. Alan's which is 1.5x, so doesn't that inherently make III true?

I would go even further and say that Barney would need to make a ton more money on Saturday to compensate for his lack of pay during the week.

What am I missing here?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619183 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: MGMAT CAT1 Question 11 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
mmcooley33 wrote:
Alan’s regular hourly wage is 1.5 times Barney’s regular hourly wage, but Barney gets paid at twice his regular wage for any hours he works on Saturday. Both men work an integer number of hours on any given day. If Alan and Barney each worked for the same total non-zero number of hours last week, and earned the same total in wages, which of the following must be true?

I. Alan worked fewer hours Monday through Friday than did Barney.
II. Barney worked at least one hour on Saturday.
III. Barney made more money on Saturday than did Alan.

I only

II only

I and II only

I and III only

II and III only

I would just like to see the equation written out, so I can visualize the problem. I am having trouble conceptualizing the problem. I understand the a=1.5b but I would like to see how the second part is written when they have equal hours and equal pay. Thanks,

Although I don't think that algebraic way is the best for this problem, here you go:

Let Barney's regular hourly wage be \(x\), then his Saturday wage will be \(2x\) and Alan's hourly wage will be \(1.5x\);

Let the # of hours Barney worked Monday through Friday be \(m\) and on Saturday be \(n\) and the # of hours Alan worked Monday through Friday be \(p\) and on Saturday be \(q\);

Given: \(xm+2xn=1.5x(p+q)\) and \(m+n=p+q\).

\(xm+2xn=1.5x(p+q)\) --> \(m+2n=1.5(m+n)\) --> \(m=n\) --> Barney worked the equal # of hours Monday-Friday and on Saturday.

The above directly tells us that II must be true (as Barney worked total non-zero # of hours and he worked an integer # of hours on any given day then he must have been worked at least one hour on Saturday.)

As for I: Alan may have worked ALL his hours Monday through Friday so in this case this statement is not true (p=total>m). Alan also may have worked all his hours on Saturday. Or algebraically: there are any distribution possible between p and q, p=0 and q=total or p=total and q=0 or any other;

The above means that III is also not always true: if Alan worked all his hours on Saturday then he made all his money on Saturday thus he made more money on Saturday than Barney did.

Answer: B (II only).

But the above can also be done with much less algebra:

As Alan and Barney worked the same # of hours and earned the same amount of money, then their hourly average wages must have been the same: (average wage)=(total amount earned)/(# of hours worked). Now, Alan has constant hourly wage which is \(1.5*x\) and Barney's average (\(\frac{xm+2xn}{m+n}\)) to be equal to this he must have been worked the equal # of hours Monday-Friday and on Saturday, so \(m=n\).

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

I'm having a hard time figuring out why statement III is wrong when NOT done algebraically.

I approached this problem conceptually: II is correct is rather easy to see. When it comes to III, the statement says that Barney made more money on Saturday than Alan. Correct?

Doesn't that HAVE to be true? What I mean by that is -- if Barney worked AT LEAST 1 hour on saturday, his salary is 2x vs. Alan's which is 1.5x, so doesn't that inherently make III true?

I would go even further and say that Barney would need to make a ton more money on Saturday to compensate for his lack of pay during the week.

What am I missing here?

We got that Barney worked the same number of hours from Monday to Friday and on Saturday. Thus his wage is split into two parts 1 part is for the work done from Monday to Friday and 1.5 parts for the work done on Saturday.

Now, if Alan worked all his hours on Saturday then he made all his money on Saturday thus he made more money on Saturday than Barney did.

Does this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT Date: 05-28-2015
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Re: Alan’s regular hourly wage is 1.5 times Barney’s regular [#permalink]
Kudos
Let total no.of hours worked by each of them be = x

For Mon-Fri :
Hourly wage of B(Barney) = p
Thus Hourly wage of A(Alan) = 1.5p
Total hours worked by A = x-y
Total hours worked by B = x-z

On sat :
Hourly wage of B = 2p while that of A remains same ie = p
Hours worked by A = y
Hours worked by B =z

Now given:
(x-z)p + (z)2p = (x)(1.5p)
On solving we get z=x/2

Since hours worked on saturday(x/2) is non zero and an integer; x/2=2,4,6 & so on ............... (i)

Statement 1:
it says x-y < (x/2)
ie x< 2y
we have not obtained any such relation among x & y above. Thus cannot be true always

Statement 2:
(x/2)>=1
From (i) we know that this is correct always

Statement 3:
it says (x/2)2p > (y)(1.5p)
ie x>1.5y
we have not obtained any such relation among x & y above. Thus cannot be true always

Thus only statement 2 is true always. Hence answer is (B)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Hi,

Could someone help to explain this one, what does "Both men work an integer number of hours on any given day" exactly mean?

When I first read it, I just understood "on any given day" as "on everyday", so I interpreted the statement as "Everyday of the week, each of them work an integer number (not necessarily the same day to day) of hours" and then came to choose II immediately. But the explanation from MGMAT said that "As for the other statements (I and III), we cannot tell, because Alan may or may not have worked on Saturday." I think I am misunderstanding something here :( What is the meaning of on any given day in English?

Thanks for your help :)
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31951 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
thuyduong91vnu wrote:
Hi,

Could someone help to explain this one, what does "Both men work an integer number of hours on any given day" exactly mean?

When I first read it, I just understood "on any given day" as "on everyday", so I interpreted the statement as "Everyday of the week, each of them work an integer number (not necessarily the same day to day) of hours" and then came to choose II immediately. But the explanation from MGMAT said that "As for the other statements (I and III), we cannot tell, because Alan may or may not have worked on Saturday." I think I am misunderstanding something here :( What is the meaning of on any given day in English?

Thanks for your help :)

Hi,
the sentence means that both have worked in integer hours, that is 1 hr or 2 hour or 6 hour etc, the hour will be an integer..
secondly any given day means - any day when they work which means it is possible that they didn't work at all OR if they worked they worked for integer hours..

Hope it helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Official Solution:

Because Alan and Barney worked the same total number of hours last week and earned the same total in wages, they must have had the same average hourly wage. Alan’s hourly wage is constant, equal to 1.5 times Barney’s regular wage. Therefore, last week, Barney’s average hourly wage must also have been equal to 1.5 times his regular hourly wage. This is only possible if half of Barney’s working hours were at his regular wage, and the other half of his working hours were at twice his regular wage, i.e., on Saturday. Therefore II is definitely true.

As for the other statements, we cannot tell, because Alan may or may not have worked on Saturday. For example, suppose Barney worked one hour on Monday and one hour on Saturday, for 2 hours total. If Alan worked both of his total of 2 hours on Tuesday, then I is false. If, on the other hand, Alan worked both of his hours on Saturday, then III is false.

The correct answer is B.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos