Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:16 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Duke!! (CBS-in, Texas-in, Yale-WL, Haas-R)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink]
cloud9 wrote:
I interviewd with SOM 20 days back and have not heard anything from SOM or re vera . Does this mean i am much behind in the line as in bleak chances? Appreciate your response.

Oh busy Thursday ~

Let's get started, shall we? (Hmm, I am saying that a lot lately for some reason.... I think I stole this line from rhyme)

Cloud9, I am assuming that you are a R2 applicant who went through an interview recently? Only admitted students go through background check. You have no reason to worry because I would have to raise my eyebrows if you were contacted by Re Vera (or whoever YSOM is using this year) without first receiving a phone call from YSOM with admissions offer, etc. :wink:

Quote:
SOM said we won't hear until about 2 weeks before March 25th deadline.

Yikes! That's far away. No wonder people are anxious.

Quote:
Should we expect a change in the status page ie interview complete? When?

It's a manual process. If you completed your interviews, no need to worry. Website won't update right away or in real time but it will soon enough.

Quote:
No clue. Nink would know, he's the omniscient SOM god.

Please stop, my head may get bigger..... I make fun of my fiancee about the size of her head. She counters that her head size reflects her awesome brain power. If my head gets bigger too, what would my future offspring look like?

Probably like this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Yale SOM class of 2013
Send PM
had my interview on campus. apart from standard questions, got asked quite a few behavioral questions as well. wasn;t prepared for those :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Visited and interviewed yesterday. Everything and everyone I encountered reinforced what I had been expecting and hoping to see in SOM. Awesome, awesome day, with one big fat exception:

New Haven cabs.

My flight home left Tweed (which is like a compact, trial-sized airport!) at 6:15, and I was staying about a 10-minute drive away. I called for a cab around 4:15... and 20 minutes after that, and 15 minutes after that, and 10 minutes after that. At 5 I started calling other cab companies, one of which finally showed up at 6. Argh.

After getting reticketed for this morning, I went back to the house where I'd been staying. At 8:20 a cab from the first company I'd called showed up and called my cell. Four-hour turnaround time. (I won't name names, but its phone number has more 7's in it than its competitors'. :wink:)

Current students: is this common, or is it just a "tough break, kid" sort of anomaly?

In any case, I feel like New Haven owes me something for my profound emotional hardship. Off the top of my head... I think maybe an SOM acceptance letter might go a long way toward healing the wound. :-D

(Great day, nonetheless. I'd still love to be in New Haven this time next year, awful cabs and all.)
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
cleve wrote:
New Haven cabs.
............ (I won't name names, but its phone number has more 7's in it than its competitors'. :wink:)

Current students: is this common, or is it just a "tough break, kid" sort of anomaly?

Is that the XXXX-7? I heard other horror stories about using that car service.

However, I had worse experience when I visited IBM last year in upstate NY. The car service picked me up late, but on top of that, this car was soooooooo badly maintained that one of the car door had different paint color compared to the rest of the car....

On top of that, he drove me for maybe 5 minutes and charged me $40 from the train station. He didn't even drive me past the gate so a friendly IBM employee picked me up from the gate and drove me all the way up the hill.

Since then, I started using Zipcar to get around anywhere.

P.S. - Good luck to all of you R2 and Consortium applicants!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Cleve - I'm sorry we didn't get to meet up, but reading your cab post pretty much was like reading my own morning experience. First of all, the hotel front desk did not call for me after I asked them to, then they never showed up when I called myself. I ended up being saved by an amazing cab driver who sped to get me there on time.

I'm glad your interview went well and hopefully we'll both get admits.

And nink, it's the XXX7 number. Horrible service.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Investments
GPA: 3.5+
Send PM
physchem wrote:
had my interview on campus. apart from standard questions, got asked quite a few behavioral questions as well. wasn;t prepared for those :(

I heard B-schools are using these more and more. Could you share how many behavior questions you got and what they asked? Did you interview with a 2nd year or adcom member?

Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
nink wrote:
P.S. - Good luck to all of you R2 and Consortium applicants!

Thanks! Just a little over 2 weeks left. :o
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategic Management and Finance
Schools:Wharton Class of 2013
GMAT 2: 700
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Send PM
Kudos
everyone thanks for all the great insights,

i interview tomorrow in Atlanta with Ms.Shelley Clifford, Assistant Admissions Director. I had to meet her down here due to my military committments during the only open slots in the interview system.

i will let you all know if i have any different experience with my interview, but i expect the same type of
resume walk through, Why MBA, Why Yale SOM, career goals etc questions

good luck everyone! this process is almost over
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Kudos
wp06 wrote:

i interview tomorrow in Atlanta with Ms.Shelley Clifford, Assistant Admissions Director. I had to meet her down here due to my military committments during the only open slots in the interview system.

I met her when I visited campus. She's very nice, and was very down-to-business at my q&a. She talked pretty fast, so if it seems like shes rushing your interview along don't worry I think shes just a fast-paced person. Or maybe she was just really busy the day I met her.

Anyway, don't know if this helps, but go kill it!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
Kudos
cloud9 wrote:
perseverance wrote:
flysoon wrote:
Could anybody introduce how the Re Vera Services do background check? How long does it take?

I'm also wondering about this. Should I contact my recommenders and let them know they might be receiving a call? I'm assuming all Re Vera is going to verify is employment history, undergrad institution, criminal record, and maybe a credit check. Not that I lied on my app, but this verification process lacks a lot of details. And no confirmation email when the check is complete? What's that about?

Any thoughts?

May I please ask that when did you interview and when did you hear final result from SOM?

I'm a R1 admit. Interviewed at the end of Oct. Got the admit call on Dec 14. SOM only does background checks on admitted students as nink said.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Schools:Tepper Class of 2013
Send PM
brainhurt wrote:
wp06 wrote:

I met her when I visited campus. She's very nice, and was very down-to-business at my q&a. She talked pretty fast, so if it seems like shes rushing your interview along don't worry I think shes just a fast-paced person. Or maybe she was just really busy the day I met her.

Anyway, don't know if this helps, but go kill it!!

Funny how impressions can be different... her performance on the Q&A was one of the main reasons why I decided *not* to apply there after spending the day visiting. And I started out that morning *really* wanting to like Yale.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
nink wrote:
flysoon wrote:
There are three academic verification packages in Re Vera's website. As far as I know we are paying 100 bucks for this process and those enrolled in Wharton only pay 65 bucks for the same company.

Does it mean the schools are using different packages? Does it also check the extracurricular activities? Some associations I enrolled no longer exist.

That's exactly right. Each school has different scope (in terms of coverage - info to check) for background check. Each school can check off which checks that they want completed by the company. As a result, different schools will have different pricing terms because of what's covered and excluded, etc.

It's also possible that ReVera offers a discount for the amount of people they have to check. Since Wharton's class is bigger, it might be cheaper per person than SOM's. I doubt they check extracurriculars. I don't remember putting contact info for any of mine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:Tuck '13
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Is there a way to edit the roll call information? Or does a mod need to do that? I withdrew my application, and was hoping to update so that you guys have accurate data.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
CAK wrote:
Is there a way to edit the roll call information? Or does a mod need to do that? I withdrew my application, and was hoping to update so that you guys have accurate data.

Done
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Send PM
Alright. I just sent off my latest and greatest love letter to SOM. :kiss If this doesn't convince them to invite me for an interview, nothing will.

By the way, for anyone to whom this is relevant, I got an answer from SOM on my earlier additional coursework question (is a course through UCLA Extension or MBA Math appropriate for additional coursework to offset my GPA):

"Generally we prefer classes taught in person, however, we understand there are time, location, and other constraints which make it very difficult. So an on-line class through one of the organizations you mentioned is appropriate."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
brainhurt wrote:
Alright. I just sent off my latest and greatest love letter to SOM. :kiss If this doesn't convince them to invite me for an interview, nothing will.

By the way, for anyone to whom this is relevant, I got an answer from SOM on my earlier additional coursework question (is a course through UCLA Extension or MBA Math appropriate for additional coursework to offset my GPA):

"Generally we prefer classes taught in person, however, we understand there are time, location, and other constraints which make it very difficult. So an on-line class through one of the organizations you mentioned is appropriate."

Interesting, I had considered doing an accounting or math class to bolster that side of my application but nixed it because I wouldn't have had a grade or even substantial progress towards one by the time they reviewed my app. I guess it shows you're aware of what might be deficiencies...and can't hurt. I'll look into it.

I was really hoping for another batch of interview invites to go out on Friday. Yale is my top choice. Maybe Monday will bring a little love :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Send PM
I nixed the idea initially for the same reason but ended up doing it because that was a suggestion in my WL feedback.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  64   65   66   67   68  ...  101   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts